Mbakwe signs 3-year deal with Maccabi Tel-Aviv

Ariel McDonald is a legend in Israel having won a championship (or two?) with Maccabi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their formerly coached by David Blatt as well, correct?

Will Latenighthoopscoops.com have a permanent beat reporter based there to 'keep tabs' on him?

Sounds like Mbakwe was a wanted man after his German league playoff preformance. The second biggest Russian team, Khimki, wanted him but Mbakwe chose Maccabi instead. Wouldn't be surprised if the deal is worth high 6 figures annually. That is really good money for an american player playing abroad.

Is there an NBA clause to his contract. If a team is interested?

I'm sure that can be negotiated. Mbakwe was reportedly going to play for Portland's summerleage team but the offer from Maccabi must have been good enough to shelve his NBA dreams for now.

Some TERRRRRRIBLE defense in that play. Almost every player is standing around doing nothing as IU sets a screen and roll and passes the ball around. Even Mbakwe was late to help but is a freak so he makes a hell of a play.

If their coach knew a thing or two about defense, they might have beaten the #1 team in the country. It was all luck.

If their coach knew a thing or two about defense, they might have beaten the #1 team in the country. It was all luck.

Come on dude. You don't need to be like that.

Yes or no. That play had some horrible team and individual defense? Leave tubby out of it.

A guy can make a sweet living in Europe, not sure why more players don't embrace it? The better leagues overseas all seem to pay $200k+ per season, plus you get a lot of perks as well, like a car, an apartment, plane tickets home, per diem, etc. so your expenses are lowered. I've posted here in the past that if Trevor could play 5 years @ $200k per year, there's no reason he couldn't sock away half that money, return home, buy himself a $250k house in the burbs with cash, furnish it, buy a couple good cars for the family & still have $150-200k left in the bank. At that point he could be a gym teacher/basketball coach or something & raise his family very comfortably the rest of their lives. This new contract should put him well ahead of the game.

Last I checked, the NBDL paid around $500 a week, but only during the season. Yes, you're a phone call away if an NBA team needs a player & you COULD parlay that into a permanent roster spot if everything went perfect, but it's sure not the smart play, imo.

A guy can make a sweet living in Europe, not sure why more players don't embrace it? The better leagues overseas all seem to pay $200k+ per season, plus you get a lot of perks as well, like a car, an apartment, plane tickets home, per diem, etc. so your expenses are lowered. I've posted here in the past that if Trevor could play 5 years @ $200k per year, there's no reason he couldn't sock away half that money, return home, buy himself a $250k house in the burbs with cash, furnish it, buy a couple good cars for the family & still have $150-200k left in the bank. At that point he could be a gym teacher/basketball coach or something & raise his family very comfortably the rest of their lives. This new contract should put him well ahead of the game.

Last I checked, the NBDL paid around $500 a week, but only during the season. Yes, you're a phone call away if an NBA team needs a player & you COULD parlay that into a permanent roster spot if everything went perfect, but it's sure not the smart play, imo.

He's probably getting more than 250k a year with Macabbi. According to numbers from the 2013-2014 season, Maccabi was #10 in total payroll in the euroleague. Mbakwe reportedly got an offer from the russian team, Khimki, which was #5 in overall payroll. Not to mention he also had some offers from chinese clubs as well. He was a hot commodity after his preformance in the german league championships.

He's probably getting more than 250k a year with Macabbi. According to numbers from the 2013-2014 season, Maccabi was #10 in total payroll in the euroleague. Mbakwe reportedly got an offer from the russian team, Khimki, which was #5 in overall payroll. Not to mention he also had some offers from chinese clubs as well. He was a hot commodity after his preformance in the german league championships.

I attempted to address that when I said "This new contract should put him well ahead of the game.", but wasn't very clear.

Top Bottom