BTNs Tom Dienhart answers question on if Kill is on hot seat if U doesn't win bowl

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN's Q&A:

Do you think that Jerry Kill is on the hot seat? I believe if he does not win a bowl game, Minnesota will find another coach. The true test of a premier coach is if he can win the big one. Kill gets the team to the bowl and it discombobulates. – Jerry

Are you serious? I shouldn’t even take the time to answer this letter, but I will. Yes, Kill is still looking for a signature win—though back-to-back triumphs over Nebraska have been sweet. Still, the guy has done a remarkable job making the Gophers relevant after the disastrous Tim Brewster era. Kill has this program on the upswing in a steady build since 2011. Possibilities seem strong. In fact, Minnesota may win the West this season.

http://btn.com/2015/07/01/big-ten-mailbag-can-hawkeyes-surprise-and-pull-off-10-win-season/

Go Gophers!!

Good answer to an incredibly stupid question.

OK, which GH, Jerry Kill naysayer, sent Dienhart that question? Fess up! Or do we need to start a poll? :)

I'd say if Kill get's the team to a similar or a tier lower bowl game and they lose that one, we might see his seat get a bit warmer. Chances are his job is safe but the screws will be tighter also.

Dantonio's first four bowl appearances? 0-4

JK wins Big10 coach of the year over Meyer last year and someone thinks he's a bowl loss away from being replaced? Get real.

In college football getting to a bowl game is way more important than winning said bowl game, with the possible exception being if you are in a playoff game. The suggestion that Jerry Kill's is even remotely close to being in the hot seat is ludicrous. It s even more ludicrous to suggest that its hot because he hasn't won a bowl game.

It came from someone named Jerry. Coincidence? I think not.

Seriously - if the team wins more than 4 games they won't even consider making a move. Even less than that, I don't see it happening, but at least the powers that be will start asking questions.

Realistically, unless Coach Kill commits a serious crime or NCAA violation or does something equally heinous (comes out he's a member of some hate group or something), he has virtually no chance of being canned this year. And I think the chances of that are worse than the chances of me being named his successor.

Now, if the team goes 8-4 again, loses to the hated team to the east and loses in a bowl game, his seat will warm a little. But I think the administration is going to be extra conservative in when to make a change because of the Brewster fiasco and the difficulty they had getting a new coach the last three times (granted, none of the current Sr. admin were there, but I would at least assume they are aware).

Sounds like wishful thinking or fishing for Deinhart to say something negative.

Lol this is hilarious ! Jerry pretty much has a lifetime contract he is going nowhere... This program has not been in a better position in my lifetime. Big wins bowl games. Kids getting drafted.. No problems of the field .. Kids graduating

Lol this is hilarious ! Jerry pretty much has a lifetime contract he is going nowhere... This program has not been in a better position in my lifetime. Big wins bowl games. Kids getting drafted.. No problems of the field .. Kids graduating

This says it all...I can't believe we're even having this discussion.

It was probably GW who submitted the question.

In no way do I think Kill is on the "hot seat." But, as I have stated before, my #1 goal/wish for this season is to win a bowl game.

It's the last game of the year - on national TV - a showcase for the program. A bowl game victory caps off a successful season, and sends the fans and boosters into the off-season on a positive note, while sending the coaches onto the recruiting trail with another reason for recruits to consider playing for the Gophers.

Fact of life: until Kill wins a bowl game at the U, he is going to face those questions. The sooner he wins one, the better. (and, that would shut up some of the Mason faithful who love to go on about all the 'great' bowl victories during the Mason era.)

Top Bottom