tOSU or TCU? Which is College Football's Best Team?

Iceland12

Reaction score
And the Gophers "get" to play both of them. Once for sure and maybe twice? :eek:

http://lasvegassun.com/blogs/talkin...tate-or-tcu-betting-odds-close-vegas-footbal/

End the debate on which team should go into the college football season ranked second behind defending national champion Ohio State.

There is no such dispute for the only sports book that’s already posted lines on the games. TCU comes in as a clear No. 2 at the Golden Nugget.

And the Horned Frogs, which finished last season 12-1 straight-up and 11-2 against the spread, aren’t as far behind the Buckeyes as perceived, according to Golden Nugget sports book director Tony Miller.

“One of my bookmakers here, he thought the Buckeyes should be a 14-point favorite on a neutral field,” Miller said of a hypothetical Ohio State vs. TCU matchup. “I thought that was crazy. I think it would be a 3-point game. I love this team.”..

In the eight lined TCU contests, the Horned Frogs are an average favorite of minus-14.25. That’s a narrow second to the Buckeyes, which are an average 14.8-point favorite after action flooded in against them in all four of their games with point spreads.

“They’re the two best teams in the nation,” Miller said. “And they’re going to be up there all season.”

A locker room full of disclaimers applies to the aforementioned numbers. The largest of which is the imbalanced nature of schedules for teams from different conferences.

Ohio State’s Big Ten slate projects as far weaker than TCU’s path through the Big 12, so the Buckeyes’ spreads should finish much higher in total by the end of the year. But that doesn’t change the fact that the professional bettors who fired limit-sized wagers of $1,100 a pop into Golden Nugget’s lines found oddsmakers too bullish on Ohio State.

It’s reminiscent of last year when Florida State came into the season as champions and laid a big price in every game. The Seminoles plummeted to where they went 3-11 against the spread, despite a 13-1 straight-up record, to the delight of the scores of pro bettors who wagered against them beginning in the summer.

“That’s a great comparison,” Miller said. “Last year, we were so high on Florida State and everyone took the big double-digits. That was one of the teams we didn’t do so good with. But we’re very high on Ohio State, and don’t expect the same thing. It’s just our opinion, and the numbers reflect that.”

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

It is fascinating to me that there are rubes just like us, with no connection to or role on the actual teams or the college football game, who endeavor to make their living taking bets or betting on college football games.

Top Bottom