Gregg Doyel: Quest for a legendary relic — Bob Knight's chair

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Doyel:

It's behind this door. That's what I've been told. It's a chair, red molded plastic on cheap metal legs, and it wouldn't fetch two bucks at a garage sale unless it was this chair, the chair, the one Bob Knight threw across the court in 1985 against Purdue.

The chair is stored deep inside Assembly Hall, down this hall, behind this door, and I'm thinking this chair – the chair – deserves better. Better than this. An anonymous door, black metal, unmarked and unremarkable.

Treasure, buried in an unmarked grave.

"This is it," Indiana University Facilities Director Chuck Crabb says as he pushes open the door. It's warm in here, musty, just concrete for floor and cinder blocks for walls and eight light bulbs hanging from the ceiling. Seven lights work.

Below the eighth bulb, the one that's burned out, is a stack of something red. They're chairs. Thirteen of them, red molded plastic on cheap metal legs. A single chair is to the left of the stack. Two more chairs are on the right; a gray dustpan, dinged up and dirty, sits on one of them. A plastic drop-cloth is wadded between the stack and a transformer that Crabb tells me is powering an industrial washer/dryer upstairs.

"This is a machine room," he says. "A switch-gear room."

This is an unworthy room.

Because that's the most famous chair in college basketball history.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...t-legendary-relic-bob-knights-chair/29397565/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom