Bo Ryan retiring? - UPDATED: Bo intends to coach one more season, then retire

So what will the Gophers give Bo for a gift on his last visit to Williams Arena?

It is. Bo has recruited the Chicago area quite a bit. Ever heard of Frank Kaminsky?

No. Who's that? If the argument is that wherever you get a player now and then is your recruiting territory, fine. I'm not interesting in the minutiae. The point was that UVa does not have a significantly better recruiting base than Wisconsin. There's more players but more competition.

The Beltway region of Baltimore, DC, and Northern VA is a Fertile Crescent of talent in particular for the ACC. But recruiting extends northward into NJ and NYC as well. Maryland has along tradition of basketball excellence and never took well to Duke's Coach K era success.

Yes the Badgers success has enabled them to broaden their recruiting arc but their success has come more (sadly) out of MN than CHI. If Richie can get this going in Minneapolis, it's more congruent for Chicago recruits to come here than Iowa City, Madison or W. Lafayette because Minneapolis is at least an urban center.

Obviously he's trying to bait you into an argument he can't win and facts don't support. Ignore...

No. Who's that? If the argument is that wherever you get a player now and then is your recruiting territory, fine. I'm not interesting in the minutiae. The point was that UVa does not have a significantly better recruiting base than Wisconsin. There's more players but more competition.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in the recruiting industry that would agree with your assertion that UVA has a worse local recruiting area than Wisconsin. Take a look at this Deadspin article analyzing where the best high school basketball players come from. This is a chart from the article that shows the states that have, adjusted for population, produced the most McDonald's All-Americans:

18hv8yvxy37wlpng.png

Clearly Virginia and neighboring state/metro of Maryland/Baltimore are among the very best places for high school basketball.

Incorrect. It was the Officials.

Seriously, my first thought about Bo retiring is how unfortunate it is that the one thing most of the national audience will remember about him was his classless diatribes after the game. That will be part of his legacy now. What the one additional year will do is make it so that isn't the final thing he ever did.

And of course Pat Reusse tweets this and it's retweeted by ESPN baseball analyst Buster Olney. He really needs to make his tweets read more like sarcastic jokes if that is his intent.

@1500ESPN_Reusse
Source: Alvarez targeting Richard Pitino as replacement for Bo Ryan in 2016.

In typical Reusse fashion, he blames other people for believing his tweet, instead of apologizing:

I slapped myself upside the head for such an oversight and then sent out a Tweet, “SOURCE: Alvarez targeting Richard Pitino as replacement for Bo Ryan in 2016.’’

Anyone who has been involved in Twitter byplay with me for the past year would have chuckled over this. Everyone else should have said, “Why in Hades would Barry Alvarez be interested in a coach coming off a lousy season?’’ They should have said, “That can’t be true,’’ and joined in the chuckle.

Pitino to Wisconsin. Sorry. This reached my threshold for obvious satire and/or sarcasm. I can’t be responsible for non-followers who took it seriously.

http://www.startribune.com/if-you-f...sarcasm-it-s-not-satire-or-sarcasm/311258001/

Go Gophers!!

In typical Reusse fashion, he blames other people for believing his tweet, instead of apologizing: I slapped myself upside the head for such an oversight and then sent out a Tweet, “SOURCE: Alvarez targeting Richard Pitino as replacement for Bo Ryan in 2016.’’ Anyone who has been involved in Twitter byplay with me for the past year would have chuckled over this. Everyone else should have said, “Why in Hades would Barry Alvarez be interested in a coach coming off a lousy season?’’ They should have said, “That can’t be true,’’ and joined in the chuckle. Pitino to Wisconsin. Sorry. This reached my threshold for obvious satire and/or sarcasm. I can’t be responsible for non-followers who took it seriously. http://www.startribune.com/if-you-flatly-announce-satire-or-sarcasm-it-s-not-satire-or-sarcasm/311258001/ Go Gophers!!

I think everyone in MN sort of knew it was a joke. We knew the source and what a joke he is himself. Again, Pat doesn't realize he has people at ESPN and from other fan bases who follow him and use him as a source for stuff like that.

And while the idea of BA calling Pitino is a "chuckle" to him, we just went through an off season where established reporters mentioned him for jobs both at Arkansas and Florida. Florida being a job at the very least equal to Wisconsin (if argue it's much better). His cluelessness to how the world works outside of his Minnesota sports hating, aren't I hilarious, bubble is pretty incredible.

And it's still pretty great to me that we will have no problem chastising athletes and others for their comments on Twitter and not realizing it's a social media site, anyone can see it, know the platform, etc. but for Pat it's all his followers fault, yes, their the ones to blame.

I think it's funny Olney took the bait. Anyone who thought even for a second Alvarez would go after Richie deserves the ridicule. Feel even better about it that it was one of ESPN's clowns.

I think it's funny Olney took the bait. Anyone who thought even for a second Alvarez would go after Richie deserves the ridicule. Feel even better about it that it was one of ESPN's clowns.

Anyone who thought even for a second that Pitino would go to Wisconsin deserves the ridicule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reuse is such a jerk. I am so tired of him.

Interesting year for Bo. Last year, bunch of new freshmen players coming in. (More than Pitino.) No scholarship seniors on the roster. No walk in the park. Has to coach his butt off in this final season.

Bo

Interesting year for Bo. Last year, bunch of new freshmen players coming in. (More than Pitino.) No scholarship seniors on the roster. No walk in the park. Has to coach his butt off in this final season.

With Nigel Hayes and Bronson Koenig returning as upper classman, Bo will be fine and I'll say likely to keep the streak of finishing in the Top 4 of the Big 10 going.

With Nigel Hayes and Bronson Koenig returning as upper classman, Bo will be fine and I'll say likely to keep the streak of finishing in the Top 4 of the Big 10 going.

I think the top 4 is clearly MSU Maryland Purdue and IU. Also Michigan brings their team back from last year and get some guys back from injury. Sconnie will be good but I could dee them easily finishing 6th or 7th this year. I can also see eight teams go dancing in the conference this year. League will be as tough as ever

It sounds like he wanted to walk this year and hand the reins over to his assistant but BA wouldn't go for that so he's coming back for one more year, not the ideal way to finish after this springs success but they won't be bad at all, especially if the Freshman can contribute.

It sounds like he wanted to walk this year and hand the reins over to his assistant but BA wouldn't go for that so he's coming back for one more year, not the ideal way to finish after this springs success but they won't be bad at all, especially if the Freshman can contribute.

What exactly sounds like that?

Nothing Bo accomplishes surprises me, but if Badgers finish in top 4 next year it'll be a heck of an accomplishment. B1G schedule not favorable. Play Indiana, Maryland, Michigan State, and Purdue twice, Illinois twice as well for good measure.

per the Journal Sentinel:

That is the question Wisconsin men’s basketball fans have been asking for the last several days. The chatter started shortly after head coach Bo Ryan announced that he planned to step down after the 2015-’16 season and that he hoped Gard would be tabbed as his successor.

I’m not a gambler and the coaching landscape can shift over the next few months, but my money is on Gard, who has been UW’s associate head coach since 2008 and has been with Ryan for 22 seasons, getting the gig.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/311749041.html

Go Gophers!!

Bo won't even finish this season.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sounds like a shortcut to keeping his top 4 finish streak alive.

Sounds like a shortcut to keeping his top 4 finish streak alive.

That was my first thought too. He doesn't want to muddy his record some and risk having his worst big ten finish in his final year.

Top Bottom