Q&A: Gophers Offer 6-6 Rising Senior Xavier Sneed

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Gophers Offer 6-6 Rising Senior Xavier Sneed
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/528652?referrer_id=

Xavier Sneed, a 6-foot-6, 190-pound rising senior forward from Florissant (MO) Hazelwood Central, is one of the Midwest's top frontcourt players. Sneed helped lead the St. Louis Eagles to a 13-4 record in the EYBL and they went 4-1 in the Minneapolis session over the Memorial Day weekend.

Sneed averaged 6.1 points and 3.3 rebounds per game in 17 games in the EYBL.

Minnesota has offered a scholarship to Sneed, and Gopher Hole recently caught up with Sneed to learn the latest on his college recruitment and summer.

Gopher Hole: Who are you hearing from the most? Who is recruiting you the hardest?

Xavier Sneed: I have already got a couple of offers already, Kansas State, Wichita State, Illinois, St. Louis, Xavier, Mizzou, Creighton, Minnesota and Cincinnati.

Gopher Hole: What things have you really been working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Xavier Sneed: Especially my defense. I love to guard the best player on the other team and I am trying to develop my shooting abilities and my ball handling a lot.

Gopher Hole: How pleased are you with how well you have been playing during the EYBL sessions?

Xavier Sneed: I am very pleased with our hard work, actually. We have been working really hard in the gym with the team.

Gopher Hole: Have you gotten a chance to go to many college games or visit any colleges so far?

Xavier Sneed: Not so far, really. I have been at home, working.

Gopher Hole: Who do you want to visit?

Xavier Sneed: Me and my parents don't know right now. We are thinking about putting together a list in August

Gopher Hole: Out of those schools, who do you hear from the most?

Xavier Sneed: They are all pretty much the same.

Gopher Hole: How about your high school team? How did you do this past year?

Xavier Sneed: We lost in the Elite Eight, actually to Jayson Tatum (his AAU teammate and the #2 player in the Class of 2017) against Chaminade. We had a pretty good season in high school this year.

Gopher Hole: They have four Chaminade guys on your AAU team, so do you hear about that loss, unfortunately?

Xavier Sneed: Yes, we do all the time.

Gopher Hole: What do they say?

Xavier Sneed: They'll say "X, you have got to do better." Joking around with me.

Gopher Hole: Do you have most of your guys back or did you lose a lot to graduation?

Xavier Sneed: We only lost one senior. Pretty much everyone else is coming back, so we'll be pretty strong again this year.

Gopher Hole: What are the expectations for the upcoming season? To get even farther, obviously this year?

Xavier Sneed: Yes, sir.

Gopher Hole: When you finally pick a school what are going to be the main factors that are going to make you pick School A over School B or C?

Xavier Sneed: Academics, of course and can they produce NBA ball players also. Also, the coaches' relationships with the players, is really big to me.

Gopher Hole: Had you been up to Minnesota before the EYBL trip?

Xavier Sneed: This is my second time. The first time was last year's EYBL. It is pretty cool. It is good.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from Minnesota? What are they saying to you?

Xavier Sneed: They really like me. They say that I really fit the program and they like the way that I play and my motor. They say that they really need that right now.

Gopher Hole: Did you get a chance to watch them on TV much this past season?

Xavier Sneed: A little bit.

Gopher Hole: What were your impressions?

Xavier Sneed: Like they say, they really run. I like to run.

Gopher Hole: Did you have a chance to visit Minnesota when you were in town?

Xavier Sneed: We were pretty focused on the EYBL and trying to finish off strong and get to the Peach Jam.

Gopher Hole: Are you going to any college or individual camps this summer?

Xavier Sneed: Not that I know of.

Gopher Hole: What parts of your game have you been working on?

Xavier Sneed: My shooting ability and my ball handling.

Gopher Hole: Is distance going to be much of a factor? A lot of the schools that are recruiting you are Midwestern schools. Is staying close to home important to you?

Xavier Sneed: Not really.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from a basketball family?

Xavier Sneed: My dad played basketball and my mom was a cheerleader.

Sneed averaged 6.1 points and 3.3 rebounds per game in 17 games in the EYBL....nothing like aiming high in one recruiting

Sneed averaged 6.1 points and 3.3 rebounds per game in 17 games in the EYBL....nothing like aiming high in one recruiting

Maybe he runs fast and jumps high? Potential? Does seem a little odd if they really did offer versus show interest.

He also plays on one of the best teams in the EYBL. They have a large rotation of players and have a couple of big time stud players in Jayson Tatum and another 2017 5-star recruit Jerimiah Tilmon. They have a few other 4-star recruits as well. Sneed is a 4-star top 100 player on Rivals, so we aren't aiming low.

Top Bottom