Can Gophers survive TCU?

TCU will come in tight and will struggle. We will be jacked and be playing for respect. TCU will be playing to protect their ranking. No saying we win but this will be a great game to watch.

Exactly! I think the Gophers took the lead on that play, a cross field lateral kickoff return for a TD. I was there and remember the play initiated nearer the Gophers goalline than it appears on video, but then you can't really see the guy who caught the cross field lateral. 80000 people never roared louder

Yes, great play. Very fun to watch again. George Kemp with the cross field lateral to John Wintermute for the score. Too bad they couldn't hang on for the win.

I definitely like our chances to win. We worked on TCU all spring. Think Jerry ain't expecting to win?
Talking about bad losses...if we lose by more than 18 I'll be inconsolable for a day or two...not because I intend to bet but because
I do expect us to win!!

People forget that last year TCU played a FCS team first then had an off week after installing a completely new offense. They caught us by surprise it will not happen again. They have almost their whole offense back, there should be no surprises perhaps some new wrinkles, but no surprises. Our offense had problems with the speed of their defensive ends by the end of last year we had learned to deal with it. A good part of that interior DL and LB graduated leaving some question marks. Last year they were vulnerable to the deep pass. They a definitely beatable.

That is exactly what happened. There was no need for them to win that game by 50 points but they easily could've. Mitch looked like a JV high school QB that day. They slowed their tempo down in the second half to run more clock. GP knew his defense didn't have to worry about us making a comeback.

I am willing to refute this narrative because I watched Boykin fling it all over the field with my own two eyes. TCU had 37 plays over 9:29 in the first half, a blazing 14.8 seconds per play. In the second half, 39 plays over 14:05 for a still blazing 21.5 sec/play.

By comparison, Oregon averages about 20.5 sec/play. The top high tempo teams max out right around 20 sec/play.

Furthermore, TCU ran only 11 times in the second half, out of 27 attempts. They may have been "slower" in the second half,, but it was still a high tempo and they took several deep shots in the 4th qtr. it was a little weird to watch.

If the Frogs are as good as billed, roughly competitive outcome, as vs Missouri Jan 1, will be just fine provided the Gophers aren't badly injured

Why the hell are we going to be injured? We didn't have injuries against OSU. TCU isn't a bunch of bad asses. They are a speed team

I have been wondering for months after sitting in Ft. Worth watching TCU make my Gophers look like a JV team, did GP take his foot off the gas against his good buddy JK? I have asked many of my TCU friends this exact question to many mixed answers. The main consensus was, probably. Then as I review that game over and over in my mind I remember the Gophs turning the ball over five times, the TCU receivers making some all world catches in the corners of the end zone and Liedner was hurt, etc.....maybe we can hang with TCU on Sept. 3rd. I mean after all, we held TC to their fewest amount of points score all season.

As of today I think I got the final word on GP and did he or didnt he? See three of my best friends paid $6000 to play golf with GP yesterday at Colonial CC in Ft. Worth and I begged them to get the straight scoop on the big question, so here is GP's response "No he did not let his foot off the gas, and if I say anything different, my good friend would have it posted all over the locker room and use it against us" GP went on to say, "Gophers are a real threat, great defense, like the Sioux waiting over the hill for a charging Custer." Consensus from my friends was that GP probably let off the gas a bit.

All this being said, if Gophers can establish a running game, win the turnover battle and put some pressure on Boykin I believe we might give TCU all they can handle. Can't wait to be there.

I’m not predicting a win against TCU, but I think we have reached the point where we can play with anyone. I’m not going to hope for a moral victory, or just a good showing. I’m looking for a win.
To begin with, I think we will have a better team this year than last. Certainly a better team than the one that lost to TCU last year in Fort Worth. We have the talent to replace David Cobb, and our defense, which was very good last year, looks like it will be even better. In my opinion, the one possible step back is at tight end with the loss of Maxx Williams, but I'm optimistic about the red shirt wide receivers that will be joining the team. Second, this year we will not be caught by surprise. We will know that we will be playing a top ranked team. And, I understand that Coach Kill and his staff are focused on preparing for the TCU game. Normally we have just one week to prepare for a game. This time we have several months. Third, after a successful season last year, we are likely to be more confident. Fourth, we will be playing at home. We took Ohio State to the wire last year at home last year and OSU proved to be a better team than TCU.

Ssj
I am willing to refute this narrative because I watched Boykin fling it all over the field with my own two eyes. TCU had 37 plays over 9:29 in the first half, a blazing 14.8 seconds per play. In the second half, 39 plays over 14:05 for a still blazing 21.5 sec/play.

By comparison, Oregon averages about 20.5 sec/play. The top high tempo teams max out right around 20 sec/play.

Furthermore, TCU ran only 11 times in the second half, out of 27 attempts. They may have been "slower" in the second half,, but it was still a high tempo and they took several deep shots in the 4th qtr. it was a little weird to watch.

I agree with you 100% on this. TCU beat us handily, but why do we think it should have been so much worse? I keep hearing this same narrative about how Patterson backed off and refrained from beating us 100-7 just because he and Kill are such good friends. Hell, if they're such great friends, why not beat us 14-7? Or why not just let us win the game??? Some friend he turned out to be.

TCU didn't have to play ball control in the second half because Gary knew the Minnesota offense had derailed, gone off the cliff and landed in an ammunition dump. Leidner was hurt, Cobb was hurt, the line wasn't holding up. He didn't "let up" unless he was experimenting with a new paradigm throwing it 28/39 snaps. He could afford to take the risk because we posed no threat of a comeback.

The minnesota defense did an outstanding job the second half. In the first half...there is no defense for perfectly thrown balls and TCU has a top tier offense. That, along with the turnovers, short fields torpedoed their chances almost before they got off the bus.

I have been wondering for months after sitting in Ft. Worth watching TCU make my Gophers look like a JV team, did GP take his foot off the gas against his good buddy JK? I have asked many of my TCU friends this exact question to many mixed answers. The main consensus was, probably. Then as I review that game over and over in my mind I remember the Gophs turning the ball over five times, the TCU receivers making some all world catches in the corners of the end zone and Liedner was hurt, etc.....maybe we can hang with TCU on Sept. 3rd. I mean after all, we held TC to their fewest amount of points score all season.

As of today I think I got the final word on GP and did he or didnt he? See three of my best friends paid $6000 to play golf with GP yesterday at Colonial CC in Ft. Worth and I begged them to get the straight scoop on the big question, so here is GP's response "No he did not let his foot off the gas, and if I say anything different, my good friend would have it posted all over the locker room and use it against us" GP went on to say, "Gophers are a real threat, great defense, like the Sioux waiting over the hill for a charging Custer." Consensus from my friends was that GP probably let off the gas a bit.

All this being said, if Gophers can establish a running game, win the turnover battle and put some pressure on Boykin I believe we might give TCU all they can handle. Can't wait to be there.

He did not just say that!! Pretty savvy hockey insult from a Texan...

Why the hell are we going to be injured? We didn't have injuries against OSU. TCU isn't a bunch of bad asses. They are a speed team

Pretty simple really: players are more injury prone when tired and the Frogs run a no huddle speed offense. Also, the Frogs may not be "bad asses" who try to cause injuries but Speed Kills as the saying goes. That's too strong of course, but mass*velocity ➡️ high impact ➡️ Higher risk of injury..

Pretty simple really: players are more injury prone when tired and the Frogs run a no huddle speed offense. Also, the Frogs may not be "bad asses" who try to cause injuries but Speed Kills as the saying goes. That's too strong of course, but mass*velocity ➡️ high impact ➡️ Higher risk of injury..

Maybe TCU is worried about our fast and big DBs hitting them? Or Duke Anyanwu? He's one of the fastest Gophers and also a big guy. Maybe TCU is the team that should be worried? FYI - m*v = p (momentum)

A lot of conditioned Gopher responses here. Champions think differently - you step on the field expecting to win. We have to think like champions. Of course Minnesota can win, and I look forward to it. Minnesota will get even more recognition with this victory.

A lot of conditioned Gopher responses here. Champions think differently - you step on the field expecting to win. We have to think like champions. Of course Minnesota can win, and I look forward to it. Minnesota will get even more recognition with this victory.

I'm not going to step on the field. I'm a Fan, and an old one, not a player, not a coach. Coaches and players need to fill their heads with positive thoughts, even if it's largely BS. Fans are not required to drink the same Koolaid. As a fan, I'm concerned that this game might spoil the Gopher's season because they may be outmatched by a great team running a no huddle offense.

Are all the Gophers including the new recruits in school for the summer workouts & practices? Are the Strength & Conditioning Coaches allowed to oversee player led practices? I am a little cloudy as to what is allowed by the NCAA.

This team really has a family feeling. JK treats everyone the same. Walk-ons, JCs, scholarship players - there is no dichotomy. The best players play.

I am anxious about the WRs & the RBs. My gut feeling is we will see some pleasant surprises unfurled in the game against TCU. Maxx & D Cobb will be happy to know that the next man up will be there.

I'm not going to step on the field. I'm a Fan, and an old one, not a player, not a coach. Coaches and players need to fill their heads with positive thoughts, even if it's largely BS. Fans are not required to drink the same Koolaid. As a fan, I'm concerned that this game might spoil the Gopher's season because they may be outmatched by a great team running a no huddle offense.

It's certainly possible that they lose this game, but how does that spoil their season? Is it because they lose their shot at going unbeaten? You've got some pretty high standards.

I think our "close" game with OSU last year will help the Gophers with their confidence playing TCU at home this season. It all comes down to our offensive line. If they play like they did last year we will be blown out but if they can play the way they should it will be a very interesting game. There is no reason why we can't win this game! I guarantee the players think they can win, its time for the fans to start believing too.

The pressure is on TCU, they are the ones who need to "survive" this game. The Gophers just need to play their game.

Rag, I'm an old fan too. I do, however, believe that the fan base ultimately becomes a part of the Mojo of the team (think Green Bay Packers). This team has been in need of a crazy fan base for decades. The time is now to hand it to them, for however much soft advantage that is worth. We are not getting any younger. I honestly believe we can and will win. And boy will it be awesome when we do!

It's high stakes poker and Gopher's pushed out a Great pile of chips on the first hand, while Froggy's drawn 3 aces. Similarly for Badger vs Tideebowlman.

Yep, if anything I was surprised they didnt back off more than they did. Boykin was still throwing deep passes with just a few minutes left in the game.

Top Bottom