Can Gophers survive TCU?

Ragpile

Reaction score
I haven't seen preseason rankings but recall TCU was mentioned as a likely top 5 team again in 2015. Can the Gophers survive this opener without being demoralized or suffering key injuries that hobble their entire season?

Can TCU survive the Gophers?

I haven't seen preseason rankings but recall TCU was mentioned as a likely top 5 team again in 2015. Can the Gophers survive this opener without being demoralized or suffering key injuries that hobble their entire season?

I fixed the title. Think about it, do Horned Frogs even know how to dress for our weather conditions or will they go into hibernation mode?

I had a dream the other night that I was watching the game and it was 85-7 TCU in the 4th. I woke up quickly and laughed it off.

We'll have all kinds of trouble with them, but I'm going to trust in the staff. They played a heck of a game against OSU last year even though we looked overmatched. I think we can keep this game close and look for a key turnover or two to turn the tide.

It's must see TV for sure ... Since I can't make the game. 85 to 7-- wasn't that an actual score vs Nebraska 40 year ago? Lol

On the sunny side, it will be great prep for a very tough Big ten schedule. I'd be satisfied with 17-33 as vs MIZZ and no key injuries

It's must see TV for sure ... Since I can't make the game. 85 to 7-- wasn't that an actual score vs Nebraska 40 year ago? Lol

On the sunny side, it will be great prep for a very tough Big ten schedule. I'd be satisfied with 17-33 as vs MIZZ and no key injuries

Satisfied with a 2+ touchdown loss? I expect this team to win. I'm sure the players do.

Ask Urban Meyer what he thinks about playing the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium.

I expect Gophers to win

Won't be surprised if the Gophers win. Boykin will make some great plays, no doubt, but he'll be good for a couple costly boneheads. I'm pegging TCU as one of the major disappointments for the 2015 season. They'll be good, but not CFP good. Will come back to earth with a 9-3 or 8-4 season.

Ask Urban Meyer what he thinks about playing the Gophers at TCF Bank Stadium.

If the Frogs are as good as billed, roughly competitive outcome, as vs Missouri Jan 1, will be just fine provided the Gophers aren't badly injured

I think this program is at the point where we can no longer claim "moral victories" against a strong opponent. This notion of a "good loss" vs. a "bad loss" should really go away in my opinion. A loss is a loss. It sucks no matter who the opponent is. The players fully expect to win this game, otherwise why play it? So I will expect the same. Anything can happen really.

I think this program is at the point where we can no longer claim "moral victories" against a strong opponent. This notion of a "good loss" vs. a "bad loss" should really go away in my opinion. A loss is a loss. It sucks no matter who the opponent is. The players fully expect to win this game, otherwise why play it? So I will expect the same. Anything can happen really.

It has been months since I have agreed with someone's post on here (other than mine) more.

Didn't the Gophers suffer more season ending injuries against Eastern Illinois than TCU last year?

Didn't the Gophers lose 30-7 last year at TCU then win four in a row and five of their next six?

Is it too late to buy out TCU?

I agree fully, we are past the moral victory point. Having said that there is no shame in losing to a top 5 (or even top 2) team so if we do end up on the wrong side of the scoreboard against TCU it won't be a season killer. I certainly think there is a chance we could win but some things will have to break our way to make it happen. If we do lose, my main hope is that we see a team that doesn't look overmatched.

If we play our best and come up short against a great team there is no shame in that. If we play like crap and get blown out that would be a different story.

I agree fully, we are past the moral victory point. Having said that there is no shame in losing to a top 5 (or even top 2) team so if we do end up on the wrong side of the scoreboard against TCU it won't be a season killer. I certainly think there is a chance we could win but some things will have to break our way to make it happen. If we do lose, my main hope is that we see a team that doesn't look overmatched.

If we play our best and come up short against a great team there is no shame in that. If we play like crap and get blown out that would be a different story.

I am not saying it would be a season killer. I just get annoyed with CFB talking heads that say this loss is better than this win, blah blah blah. Every excuse is made so a team looks better,and the TV people have something to talk about. The point of the game is trying to win it, and I think it starts with "moral victories" from fans. We got some first downs in that game! It wasn't so bad!

I think we have a shot to keep it close for a while, but unless TCU lost more than people think or lays an egg I don't think we'll be able to put up enough points to win. I understand the enthusiasm for our defense, but I still think TCU will put up 30+ pts.

On the other hand, who knows. If our offense doesn't have a learning curve (which I fear they might with the losses of Cobb and Maxx) and we can come out and move the ball/control the clock it will only take a couple timely mistakes by TCU to make this a tossup.

Is TCU all of a sudden the New England Patriots or something? I highly doubt playing them will demoralize our season, or that they're so tough they will cause multiple injuries upon us. Strange post IMO.

Is TCU all of a sudden the New England Patriots or something? I highly doubt playing them will demoralize our season, or that they're so tough they will cause multiple injuries upon us. Strange post IMO.

I am convinced that GP pulled up on the gophs last year after putting up 30. Limegrover trickeration- Jeff Jones and unk WRs are pretty much our hope in this one. I understand the consternation over this game....30 pts came quicker than you can say Kevin Falness.

I am convinced that GP pulled up on the gophs last year after putting up 30. Limegrover trickeration- Jeff Jones and unk WRs are pretty much our hope in this one. I understand the consternation over this game....30 pts came quicker than you can say Kevin Falness.

They won't be holding back at all against us this. Year. They barely missed the playoff last year and had they blown us out by worse they could have taken the spot over OSU who beat us by 7.

What's different from years past, I think, is that the Gophers really believe they have a shot to upset TCU under Coach Kill.

The team has swagger, a different mentality and better conditioning & preparation.

I think we have a shot to keep it close for a while, but unless TCU lost more than people think or lays an egg I don't think we'll be able to put up enough points to win. I understand the enthusiasm for our defense, but I still think TCU will put up 30+ pts.

On the other hand, who knows. If our offense doesn't have a learning curve (which I fear they might with the losses of Cobb and Maxx) and we can come out and move the ball/control the clock it will only take a couple timely mistakes by TCU to make this a tossup.

They've got 10 starters back on offense, including Heisman hopeful Boykins. And even if their defense isn't quite as strong as last year, it could still be dominant. This is likely a Great team paying a visit right out of the gate. That's why I'll be pleased as punch with Gophers hanging in there as vs Missouri, because the Frogs are no Missouri. They may be the best team in the country.

So what you're saying is because Gary Patterson is such good friends with Kill, he held off and it caused them a shot at the National Title. Do you seriously believe that's true? I think it's much more plausible to assume the Gophers made the necessary adjustments and stopped the onslaught. Texas and Texas Tech unfortunately did not, much to their embarrassment.

I get what you're saying, but it is much more of a stretch to assume the worst on this one.

Maybe.

The point of the game is trying to win it, and I think it starts with "moral victories" from fans. We got some first downs in that game! It wasn't so bad!

The moral victory rush comes from the same fans that always need to find and/or prepare for a rational reason to lose. I saw a post on here a couple weeks back worrying about a let down against CSU if we beat TCU. I find that approach quite odd, but to each their own.

I remember OJ Simpson and USC at Minnesota, early in 1968, maybe first game of season. The Gophers lost something like 28 to 20 but their efforts that day, including the most electrifying single play ever seen in War Memorial Stadium, live on among the proudest hours in Gophers history.

Oklahoma was a Top 5 pre season pick last year and destined for the CFP and they didn't even finish Top 25. I fully go in with the expectation we win this game, and will be as dissapointed in losing with the same degree to losing to OSU or Illinois.

I remember OJ Simpson and USC at Minnesota, early in 1968, maybe first game of season. The Gophers lost something like 28 to 20 but their efforts that day, including the most electrifying single play ever seen in War Memorial Stadium, live on among the proudest hours in Gophers history.

Are you referring to this play?

Are you referring to this play?

Exactly! I think the Gophers took the lead on that play, a cross field lateral kickoff return for a TD. I was there and remember the play initiated nearer the Gophers goalline than it appears on video, but then you can't really see the guy who caught the cross field lateral. 80000 people never roared louder

I hope they can win. Having said that, a close loss does not hurt the Gophers very much- the national pundits will give the Gophs credit for making it a close game. The one thing they have to avoid is a "bad" loss - which in my book means a game where the Gophs look outclassed, or just don't play well.

I am hopeful that the defense can keep the Gophs in the game, so - whether you like it or not - I think this game is in the hands of the offense. if they can hold onto the ball, gain some yards, eat some clock, keep TCU's offense off the field, and give the Gophers' defense a rest, I think/hope it can be a close game.

So what you're saying is because Gary Patterson is such good friends with Kill, he held off and it caused them a shot at the National Title. Do you seriously believe that's true? I think it's much more plausible to assume the Gophers made the necessary adjustments and stopped the onslaught. Texas and Texas Tech unfortunately did not, much to their embarrassment.

I get what you're saying, but it is much more of a stretch to assume the worst on this one.

That is exactly what happened. There was no need for them to win that game by 50 points but they easily could've. Mitch looked like a JV high school QB that day. They slowed their tempo down in the second half to run more clock. GP knew his defense didn't have to worry about us making a comeback.

I hope they can win. Having said that, a close loss does not hurt the Gophers very much- the national pundits will give the Gophs credit for making it a close game. The one thing they have to avoid is a "bad" loss - which in my book means a game where the Gophs look outclassed, or just don't play well.

I am hopeful that the defense can keep the Gophs in the game, so - whether you like it or not - I think this game is in the hands of the offense. if they can hold onto the ball, gain some yards, eat some clock, keep TCU's offense off the field, and give the Gophers' defense a rest, I think/hope it can be a close game.

Agreed. When talking good loss, bad loss, to me that means will I post angrily about my opinions after the loss. When we lost to OSU, I had nothing but nice things to say because the team played with all they had and it just wasn't enough that day. After losing to Illinois, I wasn't in quite the same mood since we pissed away the game. So I'm just going to go into the game realizing we might not be top 5 in the nation talented yet and so if we lose that is okay. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we'll be in the CFP, who knows. Of course, I'd be happy to be wrong.

Top Bottom