Bloguin Top 50: No. 46 — Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Bloguin:

1 Burning Question: Does Minnesota realistically have the best chance to win the Big Ten West?

Minnesota has improved in record (either overall, in conference, or both) every year since Jerry Kill was hired. However, Minnesota has been sort of stuck in this nexus of 8 wins max for seemingly most of our adult lives. The glass ceiling has been there, and every now and then the program bumps its head and falls down a few notches. Yet, it’s hard to ignore the progression Kill and staff have made, especially in spite of all the health problems Kill has fought through.

Why buy Minnesota this year? For one, quarterback Mitch Leidner returns, and the Gophers honestly might have the most stable quarterback situation in the division. On top of that, they get the good fortune of missing Michigan State on the schedule against cross-divisional opponents. They also will get Wisconsin, the consistent top dog in the West, at home the last week of the season in what could be a winner-take-all situation. You take for granted that they’ll be fine running the ball no matter who is getting the carries because the Gophers have earned that right, and returning four seniors in the secondary should make this the best defense they’ve had in quite some time. You could easily make a convincing argument this team gets it done this year.

5 Bold Predictions

5. Mitch Leidner will improve dramatically
4. The Gophers will finish in the season in the top 25.
3. Minnesota will win a bowl game for the first time since 2004.
2. Buoyed by a veteran secondary, Minnesota will field the best scoring defense in the Big Ten.
1. Minnesota will increase its win total again, meaning at least 9 wins.

http://bloguin.com/thestudentsection/football/bloguin-top-50-no-46-minnesota.html

Go Gophers!!

I may be accused of being a homer on this one or peering through rose colored glasses, but I don't find these predictions to be all that bold.

#1 sticks with me, I trust this staff and bringing in Weber was a sign there is a lot of focus and confidence on Mitch. I think him, our Special Teams, and turnovers by the defnese is the story line after the Win against TCU.

If #5 happens, we might win more than 9-games despite our challenging schedule.

Go Gophers!

I feel very sure that if #1 happens, the Gophers will win no fewer than 9 games.

I've noticed that when the Gophers score more than the other team they almost always win. You all might not have caught on to that yet, but I am smart.

These things happen the season is a huge success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it odd that this gentleman is predicting us to finish the season in the top 25, but rating us 46.

I find it odd that this gentleman is predicting us to finish the season in the top 25, but rating us 46.
He expects us to improve during the season, while teams that are initially better, regress or are snake bit by their schedules.

It's one of his 'bold predictions'. Also known as "I know little praise me if I guess right" predictions. Want to make a bold prediction? Pick which team wins the west.

[QUOTEBuoyed by a veteran secondary, Minnesota will field the best scoring defense in the Big Ten.][/QUOTE]

The only measure of a defense is points allowed. This number has declined since Kill arrived. If they can reduce the average below 18 points we will win more than 9 games.

Top Bottom