Tyus takes his talents back to Minnesota

I'd bet he actually still likes the Gophers. Pitino did recruit him.

I suppose he could attend a Gopher game or two, but I think attending "a lot" of Gopher games is stretching. He'll have much more important things to do with his NBA life than spend the night at the Barn watching a team he chose not to play for.

All of this "playing at home is a dream come true" stuff last night frustrated me a little bit. He always could have played at home. Didn't have to wait until the NBA. I get it, Duke is Duke and he clearly did well there. I just think "he'll attend a lot of Gopher games" is a bit of weird thinking. He really has no connection to the Gophers.

All of this "playing at home is a dream come true" stuff. ... He always could have played at home. Didn't have to wait until the NBA. I get it, Duke is Duke and he clearly did well there. I just think "he'll attend a lot of Gopher games" is a bit of weird thinking. He really has no connection to the Gophers.

Well said.

I suppose he could attend a Gopher game or two, but I think attending "a lot" of Gopher games is stretching. He'll have much more important things to do with his NBA life than spend the night at the Barn watching a team he chose not to play for.

All of this "playing at home is a dream come true" stuff last night frustrated me a little bit. He always could have played at home. Didn't have to wait until the NBA. I get it, Duke is Duke and he clearly did well there. I just think "he'll attend a lot of Gopher games" is a bit of weird thinking. He really has no connection to the Gophers.

Every pro team needs their own Aaron Rodgers who is a fan of three college teams.

Is Tyus gonna have his hometown listed as Burnsville or Apple Valley? This is important.

Love did go to quite a few Gopher games that first year. Didn't see him nearly as much after that? Guessing the jock/$$$-chasing groupies got their claws into him?

Kevin Love attended a bunch of games his rookie year.

Love attended only 2 or 3 games, but he was the judge of the slam dunk contest for Tubby's Tipoff. Rubio has been to a couple and Levine has been to some.

I'm not saying Tyus won't show up, but I don't think it will be a priority for him, nor should it.

Plus, if you are Tubby or Pitino, it is one thing to get tickets for Kevin Love or Rick Rubio to sit behind the bench, but something entirely different to get tickets behind your bench for someone you recruited heavily and who turned you down. If I'm Pitino, I would choose to pass on that quite honestly. Tyus can buy his tickets if he wants to attend. Or, maybe he can come with his NBA head coach at some point.

That said, I think its all discussion about something that won't happen much, if at all. I just don't think attending Gopher hoops games will rank real high on the "things to do in the middle of my first NBA season" for Tyus.

Love attended only 2 or 3 games, but he was the judge of the slam dunk contest for Tubby's Tipoff. Rubio has been to a couple and Levine has been to some. I'm not saying Tyus won't show up, but I don't think it will be a priority for him, nor should it. Plus, if you are Tubby or Pitino, it is one thing to get tickets for Kevin Love or Rick Rubio to sit behind the bench, but something entirely different to get tickets behind your bench for someone you recruited heavily and who turned you down. If I'm Pitino, I would choose to pass on that quite honestly. Tyus can buy his tickets if he wants to attend. Or, maybe he can come with his NBA head coach at some point. That said, I think its all discussion about something that won't happen much, if at all. I just don't think attending Gopher hoops games will rank real high on the "things to do in the middle of my first NBA season" for Tyus.

Considering we are recruiting his brother I highly doubt Pitino will be cold shouldering Tyus from coming to games.

A lot of Twolves attend Gopher games. Tyus has more reason than almost all of them to attend. That was my thinking. Too bad Jarvis isn't cleared, then I could really see him at a lot of games. Best Gopher spin to Tyus coming back to Minnesota is that maybe his bro will want to stick around to hang with him.

I don't disagree that this is the way it SHOULD be, but we have an incredible bias/affinity toward athletes that are born here. It also feels like draft picks are viewed almost as throwaways after you get to a certain point in the first round.

Following along on twitter last night there was way more "Tyus is coming home" reaction than we have the first overall pick reaction. That is what you get with the "one of us" Minnesotan mentalty.

Considering we are recruiting his brother I highly doubt Pitino will be cold shouldering Tyus from coming to games.

Yeah, excellent point. Hadn't thought of that angle. I suppose up until little bro chooses a school, Tyus will get all the tickets he wants (if he so chooses to attend a Gopher game).

And, if little bro chooses the Gophers, then Tyus definitely gets all he tickets he wants.

If, little bro can talk Trent into going to the Gophers and follow suit, then they all get unlimited Barn Loft suites! LOL

I was kind of thinking the same. Will he get boo'd? :rolleyes:

Wow! I am so excited for Minnesota basketball. I can't believe how many idiots on the RedStar Tribune are complaining about Tyus' deficiencies. Everyone else has rated the Wolves draft an A+, but what do they know? LOL.
To me, the guy that Tyus reminds me of most is a HOF point guard by the name of John Stockton. Stockton never blew anyone away with his quickness or size. All he did was win, make the right play all the time, turn Karl Malone into an all-star, score when he needed to, and shoot free throws in his sleep. He was great. And Tyus will be great for the same reasons.

A lot of Twolves attend Gopher games. Tyus has more reason than almost all of them to attend. That was my thinking. Too bad Jarvis isn't cleared, then I could really see him at a lot of games. Best Gopher spin to Tyus coming back to Minnesota is that maybe his bro will want to stick around to hang with him.

+1

Looks like the gophers will continue to be in the "friend zone" for Tyus. He went to a lot of games for somebody that didn't consider us too much and I'm sure Tre will be at a good amount too.

If your still holding a grudge against a teenager who picked Duke over MN then you're a salty, bitter person. Get over it. The guy is money in the clutch and he's a proven winner. Wolves need that badly.

Wow! I am so excited for Minnesota basketball. I can't believe how many idiots on the RedStar Tribune are complaining about Tyus' deficiencies. Everyone else has rated the Wolves draft an A+, but what do they know? LOL.
To me, the guy that Tyus reminds me of most is a HOF point guard by the name of John Stockton. Stockton never blew anyone away with his quickness or size. All he did was win, make the right play all the time, turn Karl Malone into an all-star, score when he needed to, and shoot free throws in his sleep. He was great. And Tyus will be great for the same reasons.

We (Timberwolves fans) should consider ourselves extremely fortunate if Tyus is half the player Stockton was.

Do we really consider Tyus going to Duke as turning down Pitino in any meaningful way? Why would he have come here to play for a brand new coach in only his second year as a head coach when he could go to Duke? I mean, really. I have zero bad feelings about that nor do I see it as a failure on Pitino's part. The 'loss' of Jones happened long before Pitino arrived. Tyus did what he needed to do to realized his dream and I applaud him for it, and I'll applaud him when he shows up at the Barn. He'll be younger than most of the kids on the court.

If Clem can be applauded 'coming home'...well...

More often than not, I'm not a fan of selling a player on his "intangibles," but in Tyus's case, I think you definitely can. The guy makes the right play at the right time, and I think that kind of player is extremely undervalued in the NBA. And yes, I also like the Stockton comparison- he's just all about winning, and doing the things on the court he needs to do to enable his team.

Fiance works at Target. Said it's a madhouse in the skyway today with Tyus and his entourage. Everybody following him around and taking photos. I would assume Towns is with him, as well?

She hates the NBA, but now she's saying with another recognizable name (Tyus) on the T-Wolves to add to Wiggins (she's a KU fan) and Adreian Payne, she might be interested in adding the T-Wolves to our regular "sportsing" repertoire.

Did you read the article? The stat that he's citing is useless, calling players like Kevin Love and Paul George terrible. And what relevance does data from over two years ago have to do with anything? Using current stats from this previous season, Rubio ranked 144th in the league among qualified players, right around guys like Joakim Noah, Kevin Garnett, and Paul Pierce. If you're not just trolling and sincerely believe Jones is even close to as good of a player as Rubio right now, you need to have your head examined.

Fiance works at Target. Said it's a madhouse in the skyway today with Tyus and his entourage. Everybody following him around and taking photos. I would assume Towns is with him, as well?

She hates the NBA, but now she's saying with another recognizable name (Tyus) on the T-Wolves to add to Wiggins (she's a KU fan) and Adreian Payne, she might be interested in adding the T-Wolves to our regular "sportsing" repertoire.

Yeah KAT is with Tyus. Towns wanted to check out the skyway system, so Tyus and the T-Wolves PR staff are taking him on a tour.

We (Timberwolves fans) should consider ourselves extremely fortunate if Tyus is half the player Stockton was.

This is true. But they were thinking the same thing about Stockton when he was picked 16th in the first round.

Last night, David Kahn was interviewed by ESPN and asked which big man was going to go first in the draft. His answer was "Well, I'm leaning towards Elliot Eliason..."

Top Bottom