Tyus takes his talents back to Minnesota

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Bet he's at a lot of Gopher games. Tyus and Rashad are both going back to their AAU cities.

Yep. played youth, HS, AAU and pro ball in MN. The one I legitimately care about, he plays elsewhere....

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, but is this a legit basketball move or an attempt to sell more tickets?

Sid can never argue again that if you leave the state instead of playing for the Gophers, you'll never get a job in this town.

It's a good move. We need a good backup point guard because LaVine will probably switch to shooting guard, or at least he should, and Rubio has been injury prone.

It's a good move. We need a good backup point guard because LaVine will probably switch to shooting guard, or at least he should, and Rubio has been injury prone.

That's my thought, though as most here know I don't follow the nba that closely.

Is Tyus Jones really going to sell tickets, beyond the first few home games of the season? Have to imagine KAT will be the reason anyone decides to by a ticket.

Tyus is better than Rubio right now.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter, but is this a legit basketball move or an attempt to sell more tickets?

Legit. Kid knows how to play basketball, will shoot well and will lead and he wins. Great move by the Wolves.

Is Tyus Jones really going to sell tickets, beyond the first few home games of the season? Have to imagine KAT will be the reason anyone decides to by a ticket.

I don't disagree that this is the way it SHOULD be, but we have an incredible bias/affinity toward athletes that are born here. It also feels like draft picks are viewed almost as throwaways after you get to a certain point in the first round.

Pretty good use of the two second round picks. The alternative was likely a college Senior with one pick and a draft and stash, trade for future 2nd, or the dreaded selling of the pick with the other.

No. That's ridiculous. Minnesotans love 'one of us' more than most, but this will hardly sell thousands of tickets.

As a basketball move, I like it fine. I think Tyus will be solid. At #24 that's all you hope for.

Flip knows him as well as anybody does, he's been watching him for five years, should be beneficial for both.

Just curious, why do you think Tyus will be at a lot of Gopher games?

I'd bet he actually still likes the Gophers. Pitino did recruit him and what HS player who wants to make the NBA would pick Pitino over Coach K for 1 year of training? I hate to say it but for his career, the kid made the right choice(Vaughn and Travis on the other hand don't have the same argument as they didn't pick hall of fame coaches to play for). Point is he didn't turn down MN because he didn't like us(I really don't know Tyus' thought process at all)

Edit: this doesn't mean i didn't want him to be a gopher just that logically he made the right choice.

Exactly!

Rubio when healthy was a 15 points 10-12 assist 5 rebound player. I'm not certain on our team winning percentage but it was much higher with him than without.

Rubio, when healthy, averaged 10 points, 8 assists (great) and the team was 5-17- a little better than the overall season, but not much. Rubio shot 25% from 3pt range and 39% from 2 pt range-that's terrible. The problem with him - unless he becomes a lot better shooter, is that you can sag off of him making it tougher for the other players. He does defend well at times and get steals.

Jones is the type of guy who will make everyone better and will make you pay if you don't guard him. The issue with him is defense and whether he can become a good defender.

I would love to see the gophers do something to honor tyus for knocking off Wisconsin.

Jay Bilas with the definitive comment as always: "He better get a heated garage."

Top Bottom