NCAA proposes new NBA draft rule to allow early entrants back in school

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
College underclassmen will now have the opportunity to return to school even after declaring for the NBA draft, if a new proposal sponsored Wednesday by the NCAA men's basketball oversight committee is adopted by the membership in January.

The decision by the committee Wednesday in Indianapolis could be a watershed moment for college underclassmen and their coaches if players opt to return to school. Committee chair Dan Guerrero, who is also the UCLA athletic director, told ESPN that if the proposal is implemented it would be in place for the 2016 draft.

Link

This will create a complete mess of recruiting each spring. Dozens and dozens of guys will "declare" that normally wouldn't, will go through the process and then will decide in late May. This will cause programs to not know if they have open scholarships well into late May/early June.

At least the proposal isn't allowing what Vo Leonard did - which was actually get drafted, and then head back to school, and in Vo's case, he came back disinterested in the college game.

Go Gophers!!

This will create a complete mess of recruiting each spring. Dozens and dozens of guys will "declare" that normally wouldn't, will go through the process and then will decide in late May. This will cause programs to not know if they have open scholarships well into late May/early June.

At least the proposal isn't allowing what Vo Leonard did - which was actually get drafted, and then head back to school, and in Vo's case, he came back disinterested in the college game.

Go Gophers!!

Yeah but this will really only matter to the top teams. Can you imagine the Kentucky model working with this rule in place? I can't. on the other hand very few BIG schools would be be influenced by this.

Yeah but this will really only matter to the top teams. Can you imagine the Kentucky model working with this rule in place? I can't. on the other hand very few BIG schools would be be influenced by this.

Oh, you'd be surprised.

Oh, you'd be surprised.

You're probably right. To elaborate what I think your point is, as you never actually make any, there are many big ten players are often the boarder of getting drafted or not. so players like yogi farrell and AJ Hammons would have probably taken advantage of this rule.

Whatever increases the talent level of NCAA hoops. If this helps then I'm all for it.

You're probably right. To elaborate what I think your point is, as you never actually make any, there are many big ten players are often the boarder of getting drafted or not. so players like yogi farrell and AJ Hammons would have probably taken advantage of this rule.

yup.gif

Top Bottom