MN Daily: Minnesota’s offensive line grows under Jerry Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

When Minnesota offensive lineman Jon Christenson arrived on campus in 2011, he weighed a measly 266 pounds — the lightest offensive lineman on Minnesota’s roster.

Christenson’s first year as a member of the Gophers also happened to be current head Coach Jerry Kill’s first year leading Minnesota’s program, including the workout plans.

“I didn’t know anything other than Coach Kill’s workouts, but I know plenty of the other guys were noticing a huge difference,” Christenson said. “There was a lot more focus on explosiveness and working out with more intensity.”

Fast-forward four years — and hundreds of workouts later — and Christenson will enter his redshirt senior year standing at a stout 303 pounds.

And the Minnetonka, Minn., native isn’t the only offensive lineman on the Gophers who has grown under the direction of Kill. Since the 2011 season, Minnesota’s offensive line has increased its average weight by about nine pounds.

“When we first got here [the offensive line was] about 275 [pounds] and slow,” Kill said during a Chalk Talk event in Hutchinson earlier this month. “When we start up front next year we’ll be 6 feet 7 inches, 325 [pounds at left tackle]. … That’s a lot different than what we used to look like.”

http://www.mndaily.com/sports/football/2015/06/24/minnesota’s-offensive-line-grows-under-jerry-kill

Go Gophers!!

Small and slow. We were awsome! Ever wonder how those Dakota Directionals were beating us?

I still remember Leevon Perry throwing our left tackle aside like a rag doll and sacking Weber.

It really was that bad!

“When we first got here [the offensive line was] about 275 [pounds] and slow,” Kill said during a Chalk Talk event in Hutchinson earlier this month.

This comparison is hyperbole and unfair. Rather than looking at a team that just graduated 4 senior offensive linemen, lets look at the 2010 depth chart and their weights:

LT - Dom Alford - 336
LG - Chris Bunders - 322
C - DJ Burris - 290
RG - Matt Carufel - 302
RT - Jeff Wills - 365

Source

And the 2011 starting line:

LT - Ed Olson - 302
LG - Chris Bunders - 304
C - Ryan Wynn - 295
LG - Ryan Orton - 291
RT - Jimmy Gjere - 308

Source

This comparison is hyperbole and unfair. Rather than looking at a team that just graduated 4 senior offensive linemen, lets look at the 2010 depth chart and their weights:

LT - Dom Alford - 336
LG - Chris Bunders - 322
C - DJ Burris - 290
RG - Matt Carufel - 302
RT - Jeff Wills - 365

Source

LT - Ed Olson - 302
LG - Chris Bunders - 304
C - Ryan Wynn - 295
LG - Ryan Orton - 291
RT - Jimmy Gjere - 308

Source

Probably why Kill said "when we got here"

LT - Dom Alford - 336
LG - Chris Bunders - 322
C - DJ Burris - 290
RG - Matt Carufel - 302
RT - Jeff Wills - 365

Source

LT - Ed Olson - 302
LG - Chris Bunders - 304
C - Ryan Wynn - 295
LG - Ryan Orton - 291
RT - Jimmy Gjere - 308

Source

Yep. Jeff wills was the modern day version of mr. America. Classic example of Brewster neglecting the o-line

Yep. Jeff wills was the modern day version of mr. America. Classic example of Brewster neglecting the o-line

Jeff Wills actually improved immensely between his jr and sr years. Just found some highlights of him and he destroys JJ Watt at the 0:20 mark here.

I'm actually still waiting for us to have a line that can be called top notch. Our ypc numbers have been pretty average and our pass pro has been pretty average as well. Of course we're just now getting to the point where the line is all Kill recruits even though I don't think Campion or Christenson were Kill recruits

I don't think Campion or Christenson were Kill recruits

Campion originally committed on 10/20/2007. Glen Mason was fired on 12/31/2006, so it is very possible that Glen Mason and Gordy Shaw recruited him at one point!

@Spoofin, the way Kill phrased his comments on the O-line made it sound like he was blaming Brewster for his small line. The data shows that in Brewster's last season, the line averaged 323 lbs. and in Kill's first season the average was 300 lbs. Tim Davis was always talking about "mass kicks ass," so that wasn't the problem. The problem was that his linemen were slow (like Kill said), and in 2008 he didn't sign a single OL which really hurt. I absolutely love coach Kill, but he has a tendency of talking down expectations (and then exceeding them). I think this was maybe a case of that.

Jeff Wills was one of my favorite players during that era. He worked hard, and his dad was a big supporter.

Under Coach Klein the players are stronger, more flexible, better conditioned, and have increased their lean muscle mass.

Top Bottom