2015 Line/D/G combinations?

beat bucky

Banned
Reaction score
Here's my picks for the Gophers starting lineup next year, and the reasons for it.
1st line--- Kloos, Fasching, Novak...Proven scorer and skater, big forward, and best incoming point producer make this a dynamic group.
2nd line--- Lettieri, C Reilly/Romanko, Bristedt...Some experience, speed, scoring ability and size make for a well rounded back of the top 6.
3rd line--- Sheehy, Romanko/C Reilly, Gates...Should ease these three all-around talents into an important role by mid season.
4th line--- Michaelson, Hoglund, Cammarata/Ramsey/R Reilly...Versatility as a checking or a depth scoring line, depending on what's needed.
1st d--- Bischoff, Seeler...Probably the best combined offensive/defensive abilities and a decent top pp pair.
2nd d--- Collins, Brodzinski...Typical stay at home and playmaking combo with some experience.
3rd d--- Glover, Johnson...Very solid if not spectacular pair that could fight for playing time.
G--- Schierhorn, Lehr/Kautz...USHL's goalie of the year and volume puck stopper backed up by lesser known talents.
Biggest question marks are C Reilly's health and the underperforming Cammarata's status. Beyond that, this lineup doesn't wow you with top-end talent but who knows? Hockey is, after all, the ultimate team game. I do think we have one potential star. And it would be fun to hear a radio call of "He's Klooooooose!"

He had a sophomore slump, but I'd be surprised to see Cammarata on the fourth line with as many freshmen as we are going to be playing.

Probably wishful thinking on my part regarding Cammarata. From what I've seen of his play, he's just too small and too slow to be effective at this level. For a kid who's supposed to be a skill player to only score 3 goals with all the special teams time he's had is almost inconceivable. I'd like to be able to quote Denny regarding Taylor, "He is who we thought he was.", but two years in I'm beginning to doubt it.

I wouldn't slot a guy from the NAHL into the top six race yet. Top six candidates should be Kloos, Fasching, Bristedt, C Reilly, Novak, Sheehy, and the Cammarata situation will be interesting. Fasching and C Reilly are not centers. Michaelson played some 4C last year and Hoglund didn't even play.

1C Kloos
2C Novak/Sheehy/Gates
3C Romanko/Lettieri
4C Romanko/Michaelson (unfortunately)

Just a note, I didn't infer that anyone was a center by listing them second of the three linemates. That said, a lot of players move from center to wing and back, so that's not set in stone.
I'd be alright with your top six but I think you're underestimating Romanko who led a team to a championship, was a top ten scorer in regular season and the top scorer in the playoffs. Of course, Lucia will likely keep an undersized, underperformer like Cammarata in big minutes. And the Gophers will scrape to make the tournament again.

Top Bottom