New future opponent

I've always liked Fresno St as a team. I'd be happy to do a home and home with them. One of the things recruits like is to know you are going to play a game in their home state which allows relatives to come watch. This may help California recruiting in a small way. We're also playing Oregon St. which will also help with west coast recruiting. I know Wolitarsky was a California kid, but I don't recall many more on the roster. Lots of competition for talent by the numerous local teams, but would love to pluck a kid or two per year.

Fresno is in the Mountain West conference now, which is a big step up from the old WAC. Much better than playing Div 1AA schools. I like it.

good find. this is a solid non-conf matchup. i like it.

Not as bad as San Jose, not as good as Colorado State. Somewhere in the middle.

I've always liked Fresno St as a team. I'd be happy to do a home and home with them. One of the things recruits like is to know you are going to play a game in their home state which allows relatives to come watch. This may help California recruiting in a small way. We're also playing Oregon St. which will also help with west coast recruiting. I know Wolitarsky was a California kid, but I don't recall many more on the roster. Lots of competition for talent by the numerous local teams, but would love to pluck a kid or two per year.

Fresno is in the Mountain West conference now, which is a big step up from the old WAC. Much better than playing Div 1AA schools. I like it.

I believe we had Quinn Bauducco (sp?) & Jeremy Baltazar.

If recruiting was a major factor in our scheduling we would schedule someone from the SEC or Big 12. Scheduling Fresno is all about finding someone you can beat.

Do we know what years the home and home will be?

I like the idea. Plus, my brother-in-law is from Fresno, and that would make for some fun.

If recruiting was a major factor in our scheduling we would schedule someone from the SEC or Big 12. Scheduling Fresno is all about finding someone you can beat.

If the major factor in scheduling was finding someone we can beat, we'd schedule Georgia State or a similarly wretched team from the Sun Belt. It's about keeping your schedule challenging but not overwhelming, improving visibility, and drumming up fan interest.

Frankly, this game doesn't do much for me. I would rather play a PAC-12 opponent or regional neighbor like Iowa State. However, it doesn't bother me to schedule this game. Variety is O.K. too.

If the primary reason for scheduling Fresno was to get a more manageable opponent, I have no problem with a team like Fresno. However if easier is the reason and given that we come from a superior conference, it would have been nice if this were a 2-1 (MN-Fresno) home-away match-up.

Folks remember we will be playing 9 Big10 games. 3 from the East. Our schedule will not be easy, so need some games in non- conference that we should win.

Folks remember we will be playing 9 Big10 games. 3 from the East. Our schedule will not be easy, so need some games in non- conference that we should win.

We are adding Rutgers next year and subtracting TCU, schedule strength is taking a MASSIVE hit.

I love it. Fresno is a pretty good opponent. Not a marquee matchup like TCU.....but they would definitely test us.

Variety is the spice of life, eh?

I do wish though that this was the Fresno State of the Pat Hill era, as man those teams were a blast to watch. I just loved that whole ballsy go for it mentality of 'we will play anybody, anywhere, anytime', and they did, and they knocked off a crapload of ranked teams in the process while giving a number of others the scare of a lifetime. That was the peak of Fresno State football, and those were good times.

This current iteration of the Bulldogs under Tim DeRuyter is still a respectable opponent and they do still schedule some powerhouses every season (upcoming series against Ole Miss, Alabama, UCLA etc etc), however they are not having the kind of success that Pat Hill enjoyed against those type of teams, as they've been smoked to the tune of 211-79 against their past four Power Five opponents (although granted, those were Nebraska, USC twice, and Utah).

I'm curious if anyone knows this. Do the Gophers pay schools like New Mexico State and Miami (OH) for playing at TCF twice?

We are adding Rutgers next year and subtracting TCU, schedule strength is taking a MASSIVE hit.

Not sure what next year's schedule has to do with this thread?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Not sure what next year's schedule has to do with this thread?

I was replying to swgopherdog who was talking about the 9 game conference schedule that begins next year. If we're going to eliminate teams like USC, TCU or Cal and add Rutgers/Maryland we are making the schedule easier, not harder. 2018 has New Mexico State and Fresno State with only one spot left to go. If we schedule that last non-conference spot as if we need it to get to 6 victories I'll kick my hat.

Go Gophers!!

If true (big if, given the source), that would put the Gophers at Fresno on September 8th or 15th, 2018, and the Bulldogs in Minneapolis on September 14th or 21st, 2019.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Minnesota had been scheduled to visit Miami-Ohio on 9/7/19 -- that road game does not appear on future schedules at the moment. Miami still listed as visiting TCF in 2018 and 2020.

Minnesota had been scheduled to visit Miami-Ohio on 9/7/19 -- that road game does not appear on future schedules at the moment. Miami still listed as visiting TCF in 2018 and 2020.

Here we go ducking opponents again

I hope we travel well out to Fresno. Is 7,500 possible?

Boy, that 2018 home schedule is pretty puke worthy

Agreed. The administration has put in all their chips on the next season or two. They need to deliver and drive up the demand. Otherwise we'll have drastic price increases coming on the heels of disappointing seasons and a crappy schedule. That would be a terrible combination.

Due to the nature of our conference schedule, it's important for us to bring in some interesting non-conference teams during the even years. Next year the home B1G schedule isn't too exciting, but at least we also get to see home games against Oregon State and Colorado State.

Odd: Nebraska, Wisconsin, Illinois
Even: Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern

Top Bottom