SI: Will the 30-second shot clock benefit defenses more than offenses?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

I worry that an unintended consequence of the 30-second shot clock is that grind-it-out defenses will become even more popular—and successful—than they already are. The shot clock will be expiring sooner, and there's a distinct advantage in sending as many possessions as possible into panicked, end-of-shot-clock territory.

According to my study of Synergy Sports Technology's logs, the shot clock ran down to under four seconds on just 4.0% of Division I possessions in 2014-15. In the NBA this season, the 24-second clock ran down to under four seconds on 11.3% of possessions. As the college shot clock moves closer the NBA's, I would expect the college volume of end-of-shot-clock possessions to shift closer to the NBA's as well.

There's a reason this is a big deal: Getting jammed up against the shot-clock deadline is a highly inefficient situation for an offense, and thus an attractive goal for a defense.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/06/18/30-second-shot-clock-defense-offense-scoring

Go Gophers!!

No Shot Clock

Going to several HS games over the past few years, most games seem more free-flowing without a shot clock (unless there is a major disparity in talent).

A lot of teams shoot as soon as they have an open look, instead waiting until they are under 15 or whatever. The downside is that end of games, teams with a modest lead can just hold until whenever they are fouled.

per CBS:

College basketball's myriad rule changes for next season don't have every coach singing praises of the new game to come.

Among them: Vintage college hoops grouser Bob Huggins. West Virginia's coach isn't all about that new style of play, really. Huggins said the following on Monday's Big 12 teleconference with the media. (Hat tip to NewsOK.com for transcribing.)

"I thought we had a great game," Huggins said. "I don't know why we're doing what we're doing. You watch the NBA Playoffs and it comes down to throwing the ball to the best player in the world and letting him play. You think about the guys we consider the great coaches of all time and they ran great offense. They really controlled the game with their offense and I think the more and more we reduce the shot clock, the more and more the best players are always going to win. Can't run a lot of offense."

To be clear here, Huggins is purely referring to the shot clock going down from 35 to 30 seconds, and if being unable to get into your offense in 30 seconds is a problem, the shot clock is the least of your worries.

Huggins continued:

“You're going to come down and run a quick hitter into a ball screen or spread everybody and drive it. I think everybody's tired of watching 40 free throws a game but it's going to end up that. That's just the nature of what it is when you have to spread people and not run offense. ... I'm puzzled with the infatuation with the NBA. We keep going in that direction (but) I think we have a game that's a lot more pleasing to the eyes. So I don't understand why we continue to go that direction. There's something to be said for people who do a great job of guarding and playing in the half-court."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...nt-like-the-new-rule-changes-in-college-hoops

Go Gophers!!

Grind it out

per SI:

I worry that an unintended consequence of the 30-second shot clock is that grind-it-out defenses will become even more popular—and successful—than they already are. The shot clock will be expiring sooner, and there's a distinct advantage in sending as many possessions as possible into panicked, end-of-shot-clock territory.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/06/18/30-second-shot-clock-defense-offense-scoring

Go Gophers!!

Shouldn't every defense have a "grind it out" mentality??

per SI:

According to my study of Synergy Sports Technology's logs, the shot clock ran down to under four seconds on just 4.0% of Division I possessions in 2014-15. In the NBA this season, the 24-second clock ran down to under four seconds on 11.3% of possessions. As the college shot clock moves closer the NBA's, I would expect the college volume of end-of-shot-clock possessions to shift closer to the NBA's as well.

There's a reason this is a big deal: Getting jammed up against the shot-clock deadline is a highly inefficient situation for an offense, and thus an attractive goal for a defense.

Go Gophers!!

Poor analysis. What's said above does not take into consideration the amount of time that is wasted by teams dribbling at the top of key before they decide enough time has run off of the clock to initiate the half-court offense.

Thanks bob Huggins! You are correct great game already! We hate the NBA and there crappy game

It will benefit neither. We will simply see more bricks tossed up in a game. The 30 second clock will, however, benefit teams that have experience. The pick-and-roll game will become more prevalent and a priority will be placed on efficiency. Young teams will be error prone and take bad shots. In summary...this years Gopher games will likely be filled with errors and bad shots...

Yes, and IMO it's dumb to do this. At some point the shot clock becomes counter-productive offensively. We'll see what this change accomplishes.

The 24-second shot clock in the NBA, IMO, has not helped the NBA game, just turned it into even less of a team game.

Shouldn't every defense have a "grind it out" mentality??

You sure would think so. There will be more possessions in a game, so scoring should increase but I agree with Huggins...it gives the team with the best players a better chance to win making upsets less likely. And that's a bad thing to me.

per CBS:

College basketball's myriad rule changes for next season don't have every coach singing praises of the new game to come.

Among them: Vintage college hoops grouser Bob Huggins. West Virginia's coach isn't all about that new style of play, really. Huggins said the following on Monday's Big 12 teleconference with the media. (Hat tip to NewsOK.com for transcribing.)

"I thought we had a great game," Huggins said. "I don't know why we're doing what we're doing. You watch the NBA Playoffs and it comes down to throwing the ball to the best player in the world and letting him play. You think about the guys we consider the great coaches of all time and they ran great offense. They really controlled the game with their offense and I think the more and more we reduce the shot clock, the more and more the best players are always going to win. Can't run a lot of offense."

To be clear here, Huggins is purely referring to the shot clock going down from 35 to 30 seconds, and if being unable to get into your offense in 30 seconds is a problem, the shot clock is the least of your worries.

Huggins continued:

“You're going to come down and run a quick hitter into a ball screen or spread everybody and drive it. I think everybody's tired of watching 40 free throws a game but it's going to end up that. That's just the nature of what it is when you have to spread people and not run offense. ... I'm puzzled with the infatuation with the NBA. We keep going in that direction (but) I think we have a game that's a lot more pleasing to the eyes. So I don't understand why we continue to go that direction. There's something to be said for people who do a great job of guarding and playing in the half-court."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...nt-like-the-new-rule-changes-in-college-hoops

Go Gophers!!

wow, what a fantastic summary. Who'd have thought Bob Huggins could produce such educated prose?

Huggy Bear is a well educated man. Graduated magna cum laude. Get past the scowl, screaming and his lack of fashion sense and he's actually a thoughtful, well-spoken guy.

Huggy Bear is a well educated man. Graduated magna cum laude. Get past the scowl, screaming and his lack of fashion sense and he's actually a thoughtful, well-spoken guy.

Impression has probably been biased as much by the schools at which he has coached.

Top Bottom