Jarvis Johnson will not be medically cleared to play

Bummer. I can't imagine how Jarvis feels. Maybe he will be able to be cleared later. If not I guess this means that you go for Ponds for sure. I wonder if this switches what type of scholly he is on and if the U can petition to have another to replace?

Didn't Oto remain on scholarship but did not count against the final tally? Or do I have that wrong?

How does a kid perform that well in HS and AAU but not get cleared to play for the U? Nervous team doctors? A real threat to his health that's been ignored by HS & AAU for years?

The past 20 years or so, tells us its likely the U's doing. If something has truly changed and its not safe for him to play, that sucks for him, but what can you do? If nothing has changed and its the U being paranoid, well that's another.

How many players is this now that have left, been kicked out, had issues, or denied?

Juan Piper, Jarvis Johnson, Jonathon Nwankwo, McNeil, Josh Martin, Konate, Diedhiou, Wally Ellenson, Buckles.

Missing Anyone?

And Joe Coleman and Zach Lofton. And Mo Walker was about one puff away.

In other words, almost an entire scholarship team in the span of about 2+ years, although at least Konate and Diedhou eventually made it.

Also have to remember that he now has access to some of the best healthcare and physicians available. This isn't something where 1 team doctor makes the call. It is a panel of physicians who make the decision. And he no longer is under a "play at your own risk" situation like in high school or AAU. He is now under the care of the University of Minnesota. They cannot allow him to take risks when he has a known serious heart condition. I would guess this would fall under the same type of rules as kids playing hurt or with concussions.

For those of you asking for the background or his heart condition, here you go. It's so sad:

I think people here understood the heart condition issue, the question is why all of a sudden is he not cleared after being allowed to play [by doctors extensively monitoring his condition] for 4 years?

And Joe Coleman and Zach Lofton. And Mo Walker was about one puff away.

In other words, almost an entire scholarship team in the span of about 2+ years, although at least Konate and Diedhou eventually made it.
and Oto. Very true about Diedhiou and Konate

Also have to remember that he now has access to some of the best healthcare and physicians available. This isn't something where 1 team doctor makes the call. It is a panel of physicians who make the decision. And he no longer is under a "play at your own risk" situation like in high school or AAU. He is now under the care of the University of Minnesota. They cannot allow him to take risks when he has a known serious heart condition. I would guess this would fall under the same type of rules as kids playing hurt or with concussions.

This is my take as well. All incoming scholly players go through a full physical and I am guessing he didn't pass it. I am wondering if this will fall under the rule where players who have career ending injuries get their 4 full years of scholarship paid or by the conference or ncaa (not sure). Since he didn't actually play in a game and this was a pre-existing condition?

I bet a donor would take on his scholly if the U couldn't. But I am hoping that he can be reconsidered at a later date for play...since this seems to be the U's doctors and not the NCAA.

Sad day for JJ but hopefully just a bump in the road for a great kid who loves the U.

Not surprising AT ALL. What is surprising is that: 1) JJ was considering play college ball with a degenerative heart condition that worsens under load and that previously caused a near-fatal cardiac event; and 2) he was being recruited by high D1 schools to begin with. Defibrillator or not, I was going to be watching him play with some trepidation. Good luck to JJ; his whole life is still in front of him.

This is my take as well. All incoming scholly players go through a full physical and I am guessing he didn't pass it. I am wondering if this will fall under the rule where players who have career ending injuries get their 4 full years of scholarship paid or by the conference or ncaa (not sure). Since he didn't actually play in a game and this was a pre-existing condition?

I bet a donor would take on his scholly if the U couldn't. But I am hoping that he can be reconsidered at a later date for play...since this seems to be the U's doctors and not the NCAA.

Sad day for JJ but hopefully just a bump in the road for a great kid who loves the U.

Yeah, medical hardship waiver. Full ride, but doesn't count against the program maximum. A good example of the original intent of this rule, which has since received a bad name due to guys like Urban Meyer and Nick Saban.

Only thing I'm not sure is whether you can bring a kid back from that status. I would guess not. So perhaps, given how late it is in the recruiting process, they'll leave him as a regular scholarship holder and see what transpires over the next year. If you're gonna bank it anyway, you may as well leave open the chance that Johnson can come back, even if it's only a 10% chance.

As for Lofton, I would hope that Pitino would have learned his lesson there. Why invite even more instability?

Feel sorry for the kid. He's worked his whole life to play basketball at a high level and now he can't because of something that's out of his control...that's the big thing in all this not the program being "cursed".

Unreal. Reminds me of the kid two or three years ago that got drafted (by Pelicans?) and ended up having a rare condition where he wasn't able to play ball anymore. Played all throughout college and got drafted then the NBA physical noticed this condition...some people just have horrible luck. Gophers included.

Feel sorry for the kid. He's worked his whole life to play basketball at a high level and now he can't because of something that's out of his control...that's the big thing in all this not the program being "cursed".

He still gets to attend a world class university on scholarship. Sucks not to play the game he's loved, but not a bad reward for all the hard work he's put in.

Unreal. Reminds me of the kid two or three years ago that got drafted (by Pelicans?) and ended up having a rare condition where he wasn't able to play ball anymore. Played all throughout college and got drafted then the NBA physical noticed this condition...some people just have horrible luck. Gophers included.

Happened to Isiah Austin from Baylor last year, but it was before the actual draft happened so he wasn't picked. He has been working with the NBA in some capacity since.

I think the language is a "medical exemption waiver"... scholarship athlete can stay on scholarship but not count against team's max for the rest of his career.

The twist is if he's ever cleared and begins to practice or play, he becomes a counter for all past years on scholarship. So, if the Gophers wind up w/13 on scholarship + Jarvis this year, it can be problematic for the U if he's cleared in a future year.

He could however spend time at the U, then transfer elsewhere, be cleared and play.

Feel awful for him - obviously a tough kid who has fought through a big obstacle with bravery. Would be nice if he's a big part of the team, helping from the bench, for years to come.

Interesting that they go out of their way (multiple times) to say he will be attending the U. Also interesting Pitino says he won't be playing "this season." My guess is he will be attending this year and going through a series of tests to see if he can get cleared. If not able to, maybe he wants to be a basketball coach and transitions into a manager/student asst role.

Good, do what you do best. Speculate endlessly without having a frick'n clue. Oh, no, I assume he's ignoring me.

Tough situation for the young man. Curious seeing how the condition he has was known how this was addressed in the recruiting process. If the schools doing the recruiting speculated at all that he may not be medically cleared to play was a possibility?

If this is the U not clearing him and he wants to continue pursue playing this could easily end up him transferring to a school where he does get the medical clearance.

All the best to Jarivs as this has to be a very tough time for him. Hopefully at some point he will be medically cleared and can continue to chase his basketball dreams.

Reminds me of the Nick Knapp scenario. If memory serves me, he sued Northwestern in 1995 or 1996 because the school did not clear him medically to play either. Knapp had a defibrillator inserted in his abdomen. Ended up transferring and playing elsewhere.

How many players is this now that have left, been kicked out, had issues, or denied?

Juan Piper, Jarvis Johnson, Jonathon Nwankwo, McNeil, Josh Martin, Konate, Diedhiou, Wally Ellenson, Buckles.

Missing Anyone?

WHAT THE ****! It's safe to say that we are in fact cursed.

For those of you asking for the background or his heart condition, here you go. It's so sad:

Jarvis Johnson Had A Heart Attack In 8th Grade, Now He’s A Promising Point Guard
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEMsjeq43_U

Jarvis Johnson's Mom: 'Jarvis Was Dead For 12 Minutes' - http://kstp.com/article/stories/s3559901.shtml

Jarvis Johnson's mom Tanisha talking to KSTP's Darren Wolfson.
Photo/KSTP: Kerry Klatt

HOLY HELL! Don't get me wrong......I bleed maroon and gold.......but if Jarvis needs medical attention.......I hope that this is their main priority. I hope that he can join the team at some point.

Ugh, it never ends. I will be in the corner crying once again.

Good luck to him.

If somehow JJ is never cleared to play, he damn well better be at center court in 4 years on Senior Night getting the loudest ovation ever at Williams Arena.

I haven't seen this mentioned or heard any quotes from JJ but want to throw this out there. Who is to say he won't have a heart issue no matter what he does in life-- pick up ball, coaching his kids some day, taking a jog etc. How then can a university dictate what this young man can do for a living. I have never seen him play so I don't know if he has what it takes to possible play basketball as a career. However for a govt entity telling him that he can't play vs telling him and his family the risk and letting them decide should be the red flag for everyone. He has played from what I can tell 4-5 years of competitive basketball without any issues and would assume his dream was to play pro ball. For those that say he has a free education that is fine-- but that might not be his dream and I hate that some other person tells him he can't play. I hope if he wants to continue his career he finds a way possible either overseas and another school. If he is fine getting his degree and not playing any longer good for him. However I am assuming he has understood the risks since 8th grade and if he was going to quit that would have been the time. Maybe the Libertarian in me is not seeing some facts but this is a free country and hope he doesn't have all his doors shut on his dreams-- good luck to him

I haven't seen this mentioned or heard any quotes from JJ but want to throw this out there. Who is to say he won't have a heart issue no matter what he does in life-- pick up ball, coaching his kids some day, taking a jog etc. How then can a university dictate what this young man can do for a living. I have never seen him play so I don't know if he has what it takes to possible play basketball as a career. However for a govt entity telling him that he can't play vs telling him and his family the risk and letting them decide should be the red flag for everyone. He has played from what I can tell 4-5 years of competitive basketball without any issues and would assume his dream was to play pro ball. For those that say he has a free education that is fine-- but that might not be his dream and I hate that some other person tells him he can't play. I hope if he wants to continue his career he finds a way possible either overseas and another school. If he is fine getting his degree and not playing any longer good for him. However I am assuming he has understood the risks since 8th grade and if he was going to quit that would have been the time. Maybe the Libertarian in me is not seeing some facts but this is a free country and hope he doesn't have all his doors shut on his dreams-- good luck to him

One word: lawyers

This. I wouldn't be surprised if he ultimately transfers and plays somewhere else. I understand it's risky, but unless something has changed, is it more risky than the last 4 years have been? I don't get the U knowing about this the entire time they recruited him and then telling him he can't play...

The situation sucks but the doctor's and university have alot of responsibility in this matter. If something were to happen to Jarvis they could be held liable for it.

The situation sucks but the doctor's and university have alot of responsibility in this matter. If something were to happen to Jarvis they could be held liable for it.

I'm sure De La Salle made him sign waivers before he played. Why is this different?

He might still have options... but no doubt he's got a medical concern. I say support him whatever he decides, whether it's in the Twin Cities forever or elsewhere... I'll always be a fan of Jarvis Johnson. Tough MF'r. He stays helping the team from the sidelines? and is an excellent story? No doubt, that's a cat I want on my corporate team. More interested in his health and well being than anything else.. but if he ever decides to do something else, I understand that as well. Free reign as far as I'm concerned. Cat is a warrior. His decisions are his, my prayers are to him, whatever the declensions

Top Bottom