Jarvis Johnson will not be medically cleared to play

Wouldn't be a stretch to assume the 29% of CEHD students with an ACT<24 correspond roughly with scholarship athletes.

Yes, it would. Twenty-nine percent of CEHD students is a far greater number than the total number of scholarship athletes.

UCLA actually and grad school at Harvard. Would never compare UW to Harvard but for general admission rates and scores the numbers are published and UM is much easier for admission versus several, almost all Big Ten Schools and no where near UVA or UCLA. I am in my 70's but that does not make me a fool for researching facts.
They eliminated the General College, which is what I think you are referring to.

UCLA actually and grad school at Harvard. Would never compare UW to Harvard but for general admission rates and scores the numbers are published and UM is much easier for admission versus several, almost all Big Ten Schools and no where near UVA or UCLA. I am in my 70's but that does not make me a fool for researching facts.

10 years ago this would have been true.

There's still loopholes for sub-26 ACT score students getting in (Education school, Architecture school), but for the most part the chances of a normal student getting into the U have been becoming increasingly on par with Top 20 public schools over the last decade. Business, Engineering, and Science majors have been that way for awhile. You almost have to be a 30+ ACT, top 10% of your class student to get into any of these majors which is on par with UNC, UCLA, UVA, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc. Transfers into these programs are limited to; I think Carlson accepts something like 10 transfers a year including transfers from within the U.

CLA isn't there yet but the average admitted student has been moving that way over the last 5-10 years.

The education school will remain an avenue into the U of M for non top-tier students academically. And for athletes. As many will argue it should.

Yes, it would. Twenty-nine percent of CEHD students is a far greater number than the total number of scholarship athletes.

I can't find the exact size of the incoming CEHD freshman class (if this info is out there, please post). But there are 2,348 undergrads enrolled in CEHD out of 30,135 total undergrads. So ~7.8% of all undergrads.

The latest incoming freshmen class was 5,530 students. 7.8% of that is 431. 29% of 431 is 125.

I don't the exact number of incoming scholarship athletes each year but I doubt it couldn't make up at least a sizable portion of 125.

UCLA average ACT is 28, U of M is 28. Is it possible UCLA has more applicants because they are in a state that is almost 10 times that of Minnesota, thus lowering their acceptance rate as a % of applicants? UW Madison also has an average ACT of 28 by the way.

Also, here is a nice article that summarizes Big Ten acceptance rates: http://collegeapps.about.com/od/choosingacollege/a/big-ten-comparison.htm (FYI - Minnesota is more selective than Madison on the basis of % acceptance rate). In fact, according to that article, Minnesota is the 4th most selective Big Ten school, behind Northwestern, Illinois, and Maryland. Wisconsin has the 3rd highest acceptance rate.

As others have stated, let's see those "facts". My sources, which take little to no time to research, vary significantly.

Virtually all athletes, especially revenue sport athletes, are in CEHD. Every student knows that.

Also, dpo, you're wrong about schools not publishing their admissions data. All schools, public or private, have to publish some numbers and averages of ACT/GPA if they use it as criteria for admission. It's all published on some government website and republished by Collegeboard, collegedata, and many other websites.

As for UMN vs. UW, there are many that are accepted to one and not the other, on both sides. The U is significantly more selective than it was ten years ago, or even five years ago.

Ski-U-Mah!

A lot of the crap the U gets from people who attended college 10+ years ago is related to the General College, which accepted practically anyone who applied. With that gone, Minnesota's new acceptance rates and required GPA/test scores/extracurriculars have made getting in way more competitive. It's still not the same as it is at the "elite" private and the top handful of public schools, but neither is Madison or practically any other big public school you'll find.

I'm currently a U student in CBS. I know plenty of people who got into Madison out of high school but didn't get into the U, and few who got into the U and not into Madison. In terms of getting in as an undergrad, they are nearly identical if you average out all the U's colleges. If we're being completely honest, the U has some majors that are tougher to get into than they are at Madison, and Madison is better in some departments than the U is. Neither school is head and shoulders above the other overall, and they are both damn good public universities that have gotten even better in the last decade or two. I get that there is a rivalry between the two (and I hate the Badgers as much as any Gopher fan), but this pissing contest on both sides is pretty ridiculous.

Rant end.

Virtually all athletes, especially revenue sport athletes, are in CEHD.

Incorrect. It's a large majority, to be sure, but it's not "virtually all".

Also, dpo, you're wrong about schools not publishing their admissions data. All schools, public or private, have to publish some numbers and averages of ACT/GPA if they use it as criteria for admission. It's all published on some government website and republished by Collegeboard, collegedata, and many other websites.

Huh? I said no such thing. I didn't even address this. I was solely addressing his garbage about the U being "not that hard to get into". I went back and edited the quote to make that more clear.

Not gonna lie, I keep coming back to this thread with the hope that there's been an announcement that he will be cleared. :(

Having a more stringent admissions policy does not make a school better than one that accepts more students with lower ACT scores. It often can be a tool used to give a perception of quality and selectivity, which is used as a means of justifying higher tuition costs. This is not a slam on the colleges at the U, just an observation of how institutions of higher learning create a perception to increase tuition costs and thus avoid having legislators ask questions as their constituents start to grumble about the costs of higher learning. It's a pretty shrewd business plan to be honest.

Not gonna lie, I keep coming back to this thread with the hope that there's been an announcement that he will be cleared. :(

If that meant that Jarvis were healed or that the risks had been significantly mitigated, then I would be right there with you. As it is, I feel for Jarvis and his family. It's a tough pill to swallow.

Man I was really looking forward to watching Jarvis play for the gophers. I hope he has a great experience at the U as a student

He doesn't teach...he sells.

Wow. I have known some really good teachers and some poor teachers. I have known people who are strong or less than stellar in just about every profession. For you to paint one career and minimize them with one brush is pretty disgusting and ignorant.

Wow. I have known some really good teachers and some poor teachers. I have known people who are strong or less than stellar in just about every profession. For you to paint one career and minimize them with one brush is pretty disgusting and ignorant.

You know a lot people, that's for sure! Tell us more about the poor teachers; they're the ones that interest me the most. Oh, btw disgusting and ignorant are rather pedestrian terms. As your English literature and composition instructor, may I suggest you substitute the word abhorrent in the sentence as a descriptive; as using two words where one suffices is never preferred. You'll get extra credit, of course. :rolleyes:

per Sid:

• Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino says that the team naturally had to take the doctor’s advice on whether or not Jarvis Johnson was physically able to play basketball. But even though the DeLaSalle star with a heart condition is enrolled in school, Pitino said that if Johnson wants a release, and finds a school that would allow him to play, he would grant it.

http://www.startribune.com/hughes-returning-to-strong-14-form/309685861/

Go Gophers!!

per Pitino:

Jarvis Johnson - Obviously we are disappointed Jarvis will not be playing for us but with that being said we know that Jarvis' health is the number 1 priority for his family as well as our staff. He will still be an important part of our program. He's a special kid who we all care about greatly.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062915aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Apparently, Jarvis Johnson, the standout DeLaSalle product who is enrolled in summer school at Minnesota but can’t play basketball for the Gophers because he wasn’t medically cleared to compete, is happy to just be a part of the program and won’t take advantage of the opportunity to play elsewhere if he could pass a physical there.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-should-benefit-from-offensive-line-depth/311530431/

Go Gophers!!

I find it very hard to believe Jarvis has given up on playing BB. There will be more to this story in the future.

per Sid:

• Apparently, Jarvis Johnson, the standout DeLaSalle product who is enrolled in summer school at Minnesota but can’t play basketball for the Gophers because he wasn’t medically cleared to compete, is happy to just be a part of the program and won’t take advantage of the opportunity to play elsewhere if he could pass a physical there.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-should-benefit-from-offensive-line-depth/311530431/

Go Gophers!!

"Clearly Johnson is livid." - page 8

Agreed. This is not over yet.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom