Feds weigh allegations of gender inequity in University of Minnesota

This is true if the university doesn't accept federal funds. Once they do, they must play by the Fed's rules.
I wasn't aware of any federal money that goes to the athletic department? There's no reason the U's general fund should be giving any money to the athletic department. Maybe they could pull a St. John's and have a separate women's school and men's school. All the classes are co-ed, but since the dorms are separate they don't need to follow title IX.

If the baseball team would have 'partnered' with the St. Paul Saints in their new ballpark, would that have left enough space for track on Mpls campus?

Like the football team partnered with the Metrodome? And basketball should join the Lynx and Timberwolves too? Come on man?
The baseball team raised their own money and they established their home on campus. And you are criticizing them? Track had the same opportunity but nobody took charge or led. So, now they don't control their own path but they are still being provided for... but complaining the money isn't crisp enough, the denominations are the wrong sized bills etc etc

Your reply(s) has nothing to do with my comment. I asked a question about space.

Why are people so inclined to assume things and jump down someones throat for something they never said or even insinuated?

Who or why or what did I criticize?

Is it reading comprehension????????????????????????????

Your reply(s) has nothing to do with my comment. I asked a question about space.

Why are people so inclined to assume things and jump down someones throat for something they never said or even insinuated?

Who or why or what did I criticize?

Is it reading comprehension????????????????????????????

OR, maybe, be accountable and take a beginners composition class if the only two commenters both think you said something else?????????????????????????????????????????????????????? It's a stupid comment whatever you meant.

19 - I understood what you were saying. But that doesn't make for a "fun" response: i.e. - snarky, sarcastic, insulting - or everything we love (and hate) about Gopher Hole.

As to your question, I get the sense the U would like to keep sports "on campus" as much as possible - similar to how they brought FB back to campus. There's no question CHS is a great facility - but sharing means not always being able to choose the dates you want, working out practice schedules, etc. So I think there was very little, if any thought given to moving baseball off campus. (except for some games which may be played in the Ziggy Dome).

All I'm asking, is if there would be enough space to keep the track 'on campus'.

There are only three plausible responses:

Yes
No
I don't know

All I'm asking, is if there would be enough space to keep the track 'on campus'. There are only three plausible responses: Yes No I don't know

From what I've read: "yes" in theory but the cost would be significantly higher. Basically the track people want the U to put it where one of the football parking lots is. And obviously the U doesn't want to, as parking already is scarce and those lots are lucrative.

Bigger issue IMO is, everyone can't have their way. There's not room on an urban campus for all major fields and new expansions to be in one location. Track needs to shut up and be happy they're getting a new track, period.

From what I've read: "yes" in theory but the cost would be significantly higher. Basically the track people want the U to put it where one of the football parking lots is. And obviously the U doesn't want to, as parking already is scarce and those lots are lucrative.

Bigger issue IMO is, everyone can't have their way. There's not room on an urban campus for all major fields and new expansions to be in one location. Track needs to shut up and be happy they're getting a new track, period.

Thank you kindly sir.

This is what I was looking for.

Are you saying the "significantly higher" cost would be due to the parking issue, or am I reading that wrong?

All I'm asking, is if there would be enough space to keep the track 'on campus'.

There are only three plausible responses:

Yes
No
I don't know

The answer is yes, but the room is on the St. Paul campus.

The answer is yes, but the room is on the St. Paul campus.

Yep.
Honestly I haven't talked to any of the track guys I know, but I'm surprised this is even an issue.
Hamline has a beautiful facility that is readily accessible. The programs have had a good working relationship in the past too. It's the best in the state.

The outdoor track at the U is awful, just awful. I used to run on it when I lived down there and I'm frankly surprised they allow their sprinters to even practice on it.
It's pitted and warped, most local HS tracks have better surfaces and facilities.

The best scenario is the St. Paul campus. Give the track team a state of the art facility with bells and whistles there. Then the U can finally host a B1G outdoor championship, and hopefully host the MN state championships too which would help with recruiting.
The track community has lacked a central facility since the Blaine Sports Center got mismanaged into soccer oblivion, a nice big venue on the St. Paul campus would be something the U could point to as a big plus for the state as a whole.

The track community has lacked a central facility since the Blaine Sports Center got mismanaged into soccer oblivion, a nice big venue on the St. Paul campus would be something the U could point to as a big plus for the state as a whole.
Mismanaged? There is nothing worse than tracks around football/soccer fields. Tear them all up and move the stands closer. Give the tracksters their own facility.

Mismanaged? There is nothing worse than tracks around football/soccer fields. Tear them all up and move the stands closer. Give the tracksters their own facility.

Correct, however the Sports Center at one point was a nice venue, and a fast track surface. The stadium and facility was neglected, some would say purposefully due to politicking.
I digress, no sense highjacking the thread to discuss the Blaine Sport center.
The new one the U could construct would be better as a stand alone facility certainly.

Apparently Nanne was on KFAN and said "announcement regarding plans to expand" is expected in the next few days

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Board/59465/Contents/Facilitiesmas-37901932

I heard that exchange. Nanne called in to report that the NHL is planning to go to 3 on 3 for overtimes and that an announcement should be forthcoming on that soon. (He's in Las Vegas where there are NHL meetings taking place.) Later discussion was about expansion in the NHL, not at the U. JG asked a somewhat snarky question at the end about the University fundraising alluding to the fact that there has not been any new information. Lou initially responded by repeating the information about the NHL potentially expanding, but when he caught on that they had shifted topics to the U, he added that they hope to "consummate" a couple of large donations in the next few months.

It was a disjointed exchange, but if you heard the whole thing it was clear was referring to the NHL expanding, not the University project.

I heard that exchange. Nanne called in to report that the NHL is planning to go to 3 on 3 for overtimes and that an announcement should be forthcoming on that soon. (He's in Las Vegas where there are NHL meetings taking place.) Later discussion was about expansion in the NHL, not at the U. JG asked a somewhat snarky question at the end about the University fundraising alluding to the fact that there has not been any new information. Lou initially responded by repeating the information about the NHL potentially expanding, but when he caught on that they had shifted topics to the U, he added that they hope to "consummate" a couple of large donations in the next few months.

It was a disjointed exchange, but if you heard the whole thing it was clear was referring to the NHL expanding, not the University project.

Maybe but from the link

"Wondered same thing initially but JG did reiterate what he was referring and that's when Nanne mentioned he was flying to town for an announcement of facilities though"

If the track & field is moving to the St. Paul campus, why not consider both indoor & outdoor facilities?

Maybe they can build the outdoor track right on top of the indoor track.

This will certainly help ease the pain of feeling dispplaced, and should attract better athletes.

There is the Olympic sports facility. But, no outdoor track and field location is provided. The shortfall in the plan is the lack of a plan for the outdoor portion of the planning process and concurrent fundraising. In fact, the U is holding this as a promise to return to campus but the facilities plan does not show the track and field outdoor facility anywhere on the plan. I think as a track athlete, practicing off campus for 2 or more years would not be attractive and would be a time consumer. Imagine how this has already affected recruiting. This lawsuit is about the plan and not the Title. The Title just makes it easier.

If the track & field is moving to the St. Paul campus, why not consider both indoor & outdoor facilities?

Maybe they can build the outdoor track right on top of the indoor track.

This will certainly help ease the pain of feeling dispplaced, and should attract better athletes.

So you are suggesting that the U should offer the women and track athletes better facilities at the St. Paul Campus then they would have if they were squeezed into the Main Campus. That sounds like a negotiation to me. Where did I see that before?

There is the Olympic sports facility. But, no outdoor track and field location is provided. The shortfall in the plan is the lack of a plan for the outdoor portion of the planning process and concurrent fundraising. In fact, the U is holding this as a promise to return to campus but the facilities plan does not show the track and field outdoor facility anywhere on the plan. I think as a track athlete, practicing off campus for 2 or more years would not be attractive and would be a time consumer. Imagine how this has already affected recruiting. This lawsuit is about the plan and not the Title. The Title just makes it easier.

Welcome back, Deano.

Welcome back, Deano.

I am not sure the St. Paul Campus is considered off campus. It is the Twin Cities campus. All of the track and field should be near the soccer complex. There is nothing wrong with this plan.

On my list of things I worry about, Track and Field recruiting is somewhere between having too much money and getting bit by a rabid Goldy and contracting rabies.

Imagine recruiting to that ragged track hole they have now vs telling a recruit that maybe for a year or two of their career they'll have to practice in a beautiful facility slightly off campus, then have a brand new one for the remainder.

This lawsuit is BS, period. I hope the powers at the U know who "anonymous" is and ban them from any contact with the university for life. What a crock.

Maybe but from the link

"Wondered same thing initially but JG did reiterate what he was referring and that's when Nanne mentioned he was flying to town for an announcement of facilities though"

The person posting in the link misunderstood the conversation. Nanne never said he was coming back for an announcement. What he said was that he would be on a flight out of Las Vegas the next day when the NHL would be making its announcement about expansion. Which, according to today's paper, they did announce on Wednesday.

(As an aside, aren't we all clamoring for a couple of more NHL teams?)

On my list of things I worry about, Track and Field recruiting is somewhere between having too much money and getting bit by a rabid Goldy and contracting rabies.

No disrespect but if I had to choose between watching T&F and you contracting rabies from Goldy, I would go with the latter. It would be a lot more exciting and much less painful than being subjected to a track meet.

No disrespect but if I had to choose between watching T&F and you contracting rabies from Goldy, I would go with the latter. It would be a lot more exciting and much less painful than being subjected to a track meet.

Losers try to diminish what others succeed at.

You don't seem too concerned about my well-being, but it appears we are basically on the same page - I'll take it!

Losers try to diminish what others succeed at.

I wasn't trying to put down Goldy or GHomer (he is my namesake after all!). I just think if T&F is going to entice any spectators outside of mommy, daddy, and a few washed up runners clinging to their glory days, you're going to need such events and guys like GHomer willing to put his health safety on the line for our selfish entertainment desires.

Track and Field events have some hot girls running and jumping in very little clothing... In undergrad I was friends with a girl on the track team, she was hot, and so were all her track friends. So I guess I would take a T&F event over watching a human version of old yellar..

each sport has its proponents. for people who appreciate track & field, a big meet has a really fun atmosphere. For my job, I've covered a lot of section and State track meets in IA and MN. When you've got a good race going on - two or three runners coming down the straightaway to the finish line - with a section title or state title on the line - the whole crowd gets into it, whether the runners are from "their" school or not. And these are some damn good athletes we're talking about.

I find track meets very entertaining. (disclaimer - my brother is a HS track coach).

Top Bottom