ESPN: Ten rivalry games we want to see (NE v MN: $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Nebraska-Minnesota (played for $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy)

My idea here -- I am so awesome! -- is that if Nebraska wins, Minnesota gives Faux Pelini $5, but if Minnesota wins Faux Pelini gets to smash a wooden chair of the back of Minnesota mascot Goldy Gopher. Wait. Someone else thought of this? Faux Pelini thought of this? The trophy already actually exists? Well who saw that coming? Did Faux Pelini mention Nebraska beat Minnesota 84-13 in 1983? Just throwing that out there.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/119779/ten-rivalry-games-we-want-to-see

Go Gophers!!

Count me as a fan. Better than some corporate-spawned abomination or administratively-forced rivalry. At least this came from tangentially-related parties (Goldy and Faux)

I like it because it gives us a fourth recognized trophy game along with the Jug, Pig, and Axe. Keep the Jug, Pig and Chair and bring home the Axe in 2015!

Go Gophers!

Next phase in this strategy is to get it into the trophy case at Gibson-Nagurski and get Kilł to take a picture in front of it.

Phase three is to send the picture to Nebraska and falsely ascribe a quote to JK that they love this trophy because it's never left the state of Minnesota.

I like it because it gives us a fourth recognized trophy game along with the Jug, Pig, and Axe. Keep the Jug, Pig and Chair and bring home the Axe in 2015!

Go Gophers!
It would be the fifth trophy. You forgot the victory bell.

Does anyone get stabbed in the eye with a piece of the broken chair?

It would be the fifth trophy. You forgot the victory bell.

Does anyone get stabbed in the eye with a piece of the broken chair?

He was being facetious.... because no one likes or cares about the bell.

Let the rivalry grow organically once established a more appropriate trophy can be adopted.

The Broken Chair better be at the State Fair with Floyd and the Jug...

Count me as a fan. Better than some corporate-spawned abomination or administratively-forced rivalry. At least this came from tangentially-related parties (Goldy and Faux)
Prediction, this trophy will get legs this year and the schools will try to head it off by creating a corporate spawned abomination trophy.

I think the Bell gets the short straw all the time

it doesnt have the history of the others but really those had to start once too. PSU needed to have some type of trophy game and why not be the first BigTen game they played as members and make a trophy game out of it.

it lacks imagination but as far as a trophy its better to have it than not!

Lets think of what they could have done?
Played for the Amish Blanket?
battle for the Iron range forge?
Winner takes JoPa's Glasses?

How about just making them participation medals? They're about as inspiring.

My vote is that it's dumb and the people pushing this were and are "trying too hard." I wish you'd just let this go. We have 3 major trophy games, period.

The point of a trophy game should be that it's a special rivalry. When half or more than half of your conference games become trophy games, you start to wonder what "special" means.

I think the Bell gets the short straw all the time

it doesnt have the history of the others but really those had to start once too. PSU needed to have some type of trophy game and why not be the first BigTen game they played as members and make a trophy game out of it.

it lacks imagination but as far as a trophy its better to have it than not!

Lets think of what they could have done?
Played for the Amish Blanket?
battle for the Iron range forge?
Winner takes JoPa's Glasses?

A trophy shouldn't be fabricated out of thin air. It should have a story behind it.

Wanting Penn State to not feel left out is not a story.

My vote is that it's dumb and the people pushing this were and are "trying too hard." I wish you'd just let this go. We have 3 major trophy games, period.

The point of a trophy game should be that it's a special rivalry. When half or more than half of your conference games become trophy games, you start to wonder what "special" means.

It is starting to grow on me. I bet the slab of bacon seemed a little stupid when it started out. Nebraska is one of our major historical rivals, and it used to be a major game for us back before the decades of darkness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is starting to grow on me. I bet the slab of bacon seemed a little stupid when it started out. Nebraska is one of our major historical rivals, and it used to be a major game for us back before the decades of darkness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This. These trophies just sort of happen. They can't be designed or forced and if a major sponsor were to jump in with a "Mastercard Platinum Old Boot Trophy" or some such idea I would feel ill. This chair trophy is just new and needs a few years to gain some traction. It's Nebraska guys and gals. The Cornhuskers. They might be down these days but they have been in the Ohio State, Alabama, TCU territory in the past and could return to that status as soon as they get their act together just like the Gophers will return, starting this fall.

AMEN!!!

The Bell is example of "trying too hard". The best traditions come from the fans, not from a boardroom. If the Chair didn't appeal to fans, no one would have noticed it in the first place.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I think it will take off as our Gophers carry it around TCF this year after we beat Nebraska for a third straight time.

A) We have a history with Nebraska
B) The trophy wasn't pushed.....but instead....created organically
C) The players, coaches, and fans recognize it

This is going to catch on......and rightfully so. This is the way that traveling trophies should be created. Is it on the Jug, Floyd, Axe level? Of course not. But it's way better than the broke ass bell.

It is better than MOST trophy games in college football. The only reason any of our fans don't love it is because we already have 3 other such games. Most teams don't have even 1 REAL trophy game that wasn't created in a board room.

Top Bottom