ESPN: Ten rivalry games we want to see (NE v MN: $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy)

A) We have a history with Nebraska
B) The trophy wasn't pushed.....but instead....created organically
C) The players, coaches, and fans recognize it

This is going to catch on......and rightfully so. This is the way that traveling trophies should be created. Is it on the Jug, Floyd, Axe level? Of course not. But it's way better than the broke ass bell.

This. The chair seems to be everything a good rivalry trophy should be. The only argument I see against it is that we already have 3 great trophy games. Or maybe it's just some people's resistance to new things in general.

This. The chair seems to be everything a good rivalry trophy should be. The only argument I see against it is that we already have 3 great trophy games. Or maybe it's just some people's resistance to new things in general.

Bingo. Our fan base is older than dirt. I'm surprised that half of them can figure out the internet.

Bingo. Our fan base is older than dirt. I'm surprised that half of them can figure out the internet.

What is this based on? I used to hear this all the time back in the 80s and 90s. But that's not what I've experienced. I've had season tickets for eight years, and when I look around most of the people I see at games seem to be my age or younger. I'm 50, if that's what you mean by older than dirt.

What is this based on? I used to hear this all the time back in the 80s and 90s. But that's not what I've experienced. I've had season tickets for eight years, and when I look around most of the people I see at games seem to be my age or younger. I'm 50, if that's what you mean by older than dirt.

I saw quite a few crossword puzzles and books out while the Gophers played at the Metrodome but I don't think i've seen a single one in 6 years at TCF, so maybe the older than dirt crowd is trending downward.

The Bell is example of "trying too hard". The best traditions come from the fans, not from a boardroom. If the Chair didn't appeal to fans, no one would have noticed it in the first place.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I think the Bell is an example of not trying hard enough. Seriously, did they spend $100 at a trophy store on that thing? I've said forever that if they had used some effort they would have forged a big Bell in a Pennsylvania Steel mill with Minnesota taconite. Then at least you'd have a trophy that doesn't look like it's for a sixth grade spelling contest and had some connections to both states. Regardless, I guess it worked out because Penn state doesn't deserve a real rivalry trophy with us anyway.

It is starting to grow on me. I bet the slab of bacon seemed a little stupid when it started out. Nebraska is one of our major historical rivals, and it used to be a major game for us back before the decades of darkness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree. I think this "trophy" is gaining popularity because it thumbs its nose at this trend of corporate sponsored, research-grouped, abstract monstrosities. And look at the little brown jug in a modern context. If we started a rivalry trophy with Michigan when they forgot a case of Gatorade because they didn't think we would provide them with non-expired beverages? Some people would think that was really dumb.

I agree. I think this "trophy" is gaining popularity because it thumbs its nose at this trend of corporate sponsored, research-grouped, abstract monstrosities. And look at the little brown jug in a modern context. If we started a rivalry trophy with Michigan when they forgot a case of Gatorade because they didn't think we would provide them with non-expired beverages? Some people would think that was really dumb.

Right, but this chair didn't arise naturally. I was following the twitter exchange in real time. Our person-mascot was just trying too hard to get in on the ongoing act with Faux Pelini, whom had had some really funny exchanges with MSU and some other schools in prior games. Faux Pelini wasn't interested in getting into a verbal joust with Goldy, but Goldy kept trying. It wasn't funny, it was just dumb, like the kid who's trying too hard to be cool in school, and the "trophy" was a one-sided effort completely on the part of Goldy.

It's not a real 'catchy' name.

I've taken to calling it just the Broken Chair. We never refer to the other trophies with the word trophy i.e. The Little Brown Jug Trophy or Paul Bunyon's Axe Trophy.

Or it could just be called the chair. I know the origin story is a bit so-so but the Jug has a really contrived origin story

The argument at m victors, link below, is much different than everything I've heard through the media.

http://mvictors.com/little-brown-jug/

You sound like an angry old man.

I'm 53 but I was a youngster in the section where I sat at the Purdue game last year. Old time season ticket holders sitting there.

Right, but this chair didn't arise naturally. I was following the twitter exchange in real time. Our person-mascot was just trying too hard to get in on the ongoing act with Faux Pelini, whom had had some really funny exchanges with MSU and some other schools in prior games. Faux Pelini wasn't interested in getting into a verbal joust with Goldy, but Goldy kept trying. It wasn't funny, it was just dumb, like the kid who's trying too hard to be cool in school, and the "trophy" was a one-sided effort completely on the part of Goldy.
It was not one-sided, lots of fans were involved on the CFB reddit page, and if I remember correctly started making designs of the trophy and posting ideas on there. This was much more than the twitter dialogue and was a very organic fan driven process. Goldy really jumped in with the building of the trophy after the fans on reddit had run with the idea a bit.

It was not one-sided, lots of fans were involved on the CFB reddit page, and if I remember correctly started making designs of the trophy and posting ideas on there. This was much more than the twitter dialogue and was a very organic fan driven process. Goldy really jumped in with the building of the trophy after the fans on reddit had run with the idea a bit.
The Chair came into being about as naturally as anything possibly could. Goldy didn't force anything, he made a few jokes on Twitter and fans just embraced it. If it was just Goldy, it would have gone nowhere.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I'd like to see the Broken Bits become our first true travelling trophy -- that means it'd go to whoever won in any varsity sport. The Broken Bits is up for grabs at basketball games (men's and woman's), swim meets, track & field, baseball, etc. -- any varsity sport.

Top Bottom