Q&A: Gary Trent Jr. Leads EYBL in Scoring, Makes Team USA and Updates Recruitment

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Gary Trent Jr. Leads EYBL in Scoring, Makes Team USA and Updates Recruitment
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/522239?referrer_id=

Gary Trent Jr., a 6-foot-5, 180-pound Class of 2017 guard from Apple Valley (MN) High, finished as the leading scorer in the Nike EYBL circuit as a member of the Howard Pulley AAU program. Trent Jr. helped lead the Eagles to their second state title in three years as they defeated previously unbeaten Champlin Park 64-61 in the state title game as he finished with 15 points, nine rebounds and four steals.

Trent Jr. paced the Eagles to a 30-2 mark as he averaged 21.2 points per game this season, scoring in double figures in all but one game. He was named first team All-Metro by College Basketball News and second team by the Star Tribune.

Trent Jr. is averaging 22.1 points per game in the EYBL, while shooting 45.6% from the field, 39.6% from three-point range and 79.5% from the line.

Gopher Hole recently caught up with Trent Jr. to learn the latest on his college recruitment and summer.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, since the last time, I talked to you, you won a state title. What was the feeling of that and how did compare to what you thought it would be?

Gary Trent Jr.: Oh man, it was great. We came in with own goal. We all came in it together and we finished together. During that time, we had a lot of ups and downs and we knew that if we stuck together, great things could happen. That’s what happened; we ended up winning the state championship. That is what we wanted to do.

Gopher Hole: Was that kind of nice that you got to beat Champlin Park, a team that had knocked you off during the season, in a close game. Did that make it even better beating a team that had beat you in the regular season?

Gary Trent Jr.: Most definitely. It is always good to get sweet revenge. We have got a lot of friends on that team. I have a lot of friends, personal friends, on that team. When we beat them, it was great.

Gopher Hole: You picked up a couple of new offers like Ohio State. What other offers have you received recently?

Gary Trent Jr.: Alabama, Ohio State and Michigan State. Those are the most recent ones. (Note- Kansas has offered since this interview)

Gopher Hole: You mentioned that you are going to Colorado Springs for the USA team. Have you been out there and what are you hoping to gain from that experience?

Gary Trent Jr.: It will be my first time. I just want to go out there and see how I compare to the top players in the country in my class. When I go there, I am just going to play hard and whatever happens, happens.

Gopher Hole: How much do you think that will help you playing against some of the top players in the country, including some of the players that you have gotten to know through the EYBL?

Gary Trent Jr.: It always helps your game grow when you are playing against great competition. You always have to bring your “A” game or you will get exposed, so during that time, you just have to go out there and show what you can do.

Gopher Hole: You are the leading scorer in the EYBL. I know that you have always been a scorer and have that scoring mentality, but that has to make you feel very proud that of all the players that played in this circuit that you have been the top scorer?

Gary Trent Jr.: You can say that in a sense, but more importantly, I wanted my team and myself to have the opportunity to play in the Peach Jam and that can’t happen, so that is kind of bittersweet because as a team we came in with a bigger picture, but we didn’t make it to the Peach Jam.

Gopher Hole: You obviously had some key injuries with Amir Coffey that could have change things?

Gary Trent Jr.: Yes. That hurt.

Gopher Hole: You have had to be more of a leader. Do you like that role?

Gary Trent Jr.: Oh, yes. Most definitely. I always love that. I have been trying to do that ever since I was little. Just leading. Just helping out. Being an all-around player. Not just having one phase of my game.

Gopher Hole: You have a couple of high school teammates (Brock Bertram and Cam Kirskey) on the Pulley team. How much do you think that helps you guys building chemistry and winning another state title next year?

Gary Trent Jr.: The chemistry is already there. We have known each other since we were in seventh or eighth grade. We know what each other can do and what they cannot do, so when we got out there, we just play hard. It makes it very comfortable.

Gopher Hole: You still have a long ways to go in the recruiting process. Do you like the recruiting process? Do you get tired of it after a while?

Gary Trent Jr.: Oh, no. I love it. I just hope that more and more come. It is just when the coaches can start calling and texting June 15th. I heard from all the players that you will get tired of it, but we’ll see.

Gopher Hole: What are you hearing from the hometown team?

Gary Trent Jr.: Just the same. Same old, same old.

Gopher Hole: What are your summer plans besides the USA Basketball? Are you going to any individual camps?

Gary Trent Jr.: I going to be at the USA NBA Top 100 at Virginia and I’m not sure about a couple of other events.

Since this is a Gopher Basketball forum why are interviews with players who have expressed ZERO authentic interest in playing here getting all this ink on GopherHole.

Since this is a Gopher Basketball forum why are interviews with players who have expressed ZERO authentic interest in playing here getting all this ink on GopherHole.

#1 Answer: To piss you off.

I figured if anyone would know, it'd be TBT...

Gopherhole interviewers should be spending their time on EYBL kids that actually might go to Minnesota.

Trent Jr.'s odds of going to Minnesota are less than one percent. Pitino isn't even recruiting him according to his father.

Pitino knows a lost cause when he sees one. Time for all Gophers fans to move along.

Gopherhole interviewers should be spending their time on EYBL kids that actually might go to Minnesota.

Trent Jr.'s odds of going to Minnesota are less than one percent. Pitino isn't even recruiting him according to his father.

Pitino knows a lost cause when he sees one. Time for all Gophers fans to move along.

It was later clarified that that statement was made during a recruiting dead period, during which Pitino was not allowed to contact Trent. Maybe Pitino has largely given up on him because he wants to go to a blue blood, but that statement from Trent Sr. doesn't indicate anything.

I am sure that Pitino is working hard to recruit the players he wants.

Trent's responses make it obvious that he is hardly giving the Gophers a look. You can bet the Gopher coaches know that they are getting used. The local player keeps the local team in play because it looks good to do so. If you are not wanted by the local team it raises flags for the blue bloods.

May Chris should ask Gary Jr.... Wouldn't it be great to play for your home town MN. Gopher basketball team ?

Trent's responses make it obvious that he is hardly giving the Gophers a look. You can bet the Gopher coaches know that they are getting used. The local player keeps the local team in play because it looks good to do so. If you are not wanted by the local team it raises flags for the blue bloods.
Plus he wants to be fawned over, his dad made that clear when he whined about Pitino not recruiting his kid enough.

Top Bottom