Brian Bennett: If MN fans aren't going bonkers for TCU game, not sure they ever will

I think they return 1 starter on Defense.

The Frogs O War preview I posted in post #81 says they have 6 new starters on defense, so they're returning 5 starters.

The Frogs O War preview I posted in post #81 says they have 6 new starters on defense, so they're returning 5 starters.

Thanks. For some reason I thought they lost 1 on O and only retained 1 on D. Wishful thinking, I guess.

Last year was the most exciting gopher team I have seen in my 39 year life. Last year TCU was the best team in the country. They bring everyone back so I expect them to be the best team in the country this year. I think gopher fans are going to be disappoint big time in this game. I see people picking gophers to win?? So I am guessing those same people have gophers in the 4 team playoff. That would be something. Gophers are going to have another very good year but lose by 18-25 points.
OSU was the best team in the nation down the stretch last year and the Gophers hung with them fairly well and I believe this years Gophers will be better than last. And someone picking the Gophers to upset TCU does NOT equate to them picking us to be in the 4 team playoff. A loss by 18-25 points would shock me.

TCU never scored less than 30 points last year, and the 30 was against Minnesota. TCU will leave nothing in the cupboard against us and will try to make this as lopsided a game as they can. I will be optimistic hoping we can hang with them but they are the most prolific offense in the country and as soon as Boykin gets outside the pocket, look out. As with any game of this magnitude, I am just hoping that it is still a game when the fourth quarter begins.

Last year was NOT a top 3 season in the last 50 years.
Probably top 10, no way top 3.

1967 was better.

Other years in the past 50 we went to a NYD bowl: 0
Other years we won in Nebraska: 0
Other years we won in Michigan: 2005 & 1986
Other years we beat Iowa by 35+: 0
Other years we won at least 8 games: 2013, 2003, 2002, 1999, 1967
Other years we went 5-3 or better in the big10: 2003, 1999, 1990, 1986, 1973, 1968, 1967

Well, since 1973, this was for sure a top 3 season along with 1999, 2003. I would rank 2014 ahead of 99 & 03. I can recall Gopher football from the mid 80's on, and 2014 was the best season I've ever seen. 1999 was fun, but we only had 1 nice win (penn st on the road) 2003, we beat nobody in the regular season, we had 4 cream puff non-conference wins, then beat the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, & 11th place teams in the 11 team conference. I wasn't around for 1973, or 1968, but 2014 to me was the best season of Gopher football since 1967.

Last year was the most exciting gopher team I have seen in my 39 year life. Last year TCU was the best team in the country. They bring everyone back so I expect them to be the best team in the country this year. I think gopher fans are going to be disappoint big time in this game. I see people picking gophers to win?? So I am guessing those same people have gophers in the 4 team playoff. That would be something. Gophers are going to have another very good year but lose by 18-25 points.

So TCU who lost to Baylor and throttled West Virginia by 1 point and lowly Kansas by 4 points was the best team in the nation last year? I think they should have made the playoff over FSU, but that's as far as I'll go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one was even close to Ohio State at the end of the year last year. The way they dismantled Wisconsin and rolled in the playoffs was amazing. TCU played us better than Ohio State did, that doesn't make TCU better than Ohio State.

Predicting/hoping for a gopher victory doesn't mean we are a top 4 team, it means we are close enough to that level to be competitive and have a chance especially at home. We beat Wisconsin the year they won the rose bowl, that didn't mean we were better that year than Wisconsin and beating TCU won't make us a top 4 team, it would be an upset and might knock TCU out of the playoffs, but doesn't put us in.

I could see this going two ways:

-TCU is as good as billed. Gophers lose by 3 or so touchdowns and are never really in it past the first quarter. TCU has an undefeated or 1 loss season.
-Gophers win a close one. TCU goes on to have somewhat of a "let-down" season (i.e. 3-5 losses).

Upsets happen. They scored one TD last year when the WR made a remarkable one handed catch. We also turned the ball over. If you think TCU is going to come in and roll to a 25 point win on a beautiful Minnesota night with a packed house and prime time you need an attitude adjustment.

Last year, MN came in unprepared for their uptempo offense and committed 5 turnovers that gave TCU a short field for most of the game. MN usually wins the field position battle.

As a Gopher homer, I just don't see this team committing that many turnovers and losing the field position game. I also think playing this one at TCF will help as well. I feel that this game will be exciting and close, coming down to whether we can contain their QB.

Last year, MN came in unprepared for their uptempo offense and committed 5 turnovers that gave TCU a short field for most of the game. MN usually wins the field position battle.

As a Gopher homer, I just don't see this team committing that many turnovers and losing the field position game. I also think playing this one at TCF will help as well. I feel that this game will be exciting and close, coming down to whether we can contain their QB.

You realize you are on a pace to have 6 posts in your first year?:cool02:

hey station, maybe jonny is going for quality, not quantity...ps- not to put down your thousands!

You realize you are on a pace to have 6 posts in your first year?:cool02:

This is the reason most of us do not post very often.

I'd rather put up with Wren as opposed to the self-entitled, pompous five figure posters hijacking just about every thread.

This is the reason most of us do not post very often.

I'd rather put up with Wren as opposed to the self-entitled, pompous five figure posters hijacking just about every thread.
Agreed. Post count is irrelevant, judge the persons take on its own merits.

So getting back to the topic.....I'm going bonkers for this game and one thing is for sure. Coach Kill was in fact in Gary Patterson's wedding.

To those posters that are planning to post something you think is humorous - be careful, someone will be offended!

Top Bottom