Brian Bennett: If MN fans aren't going bonkers for TCU game, not sure they ever will

I picked up four tickets in Zone 3 today. Waiting until later is risky considering this will be a Thursday night game on national TV. I sense tickets will hard to come by waiting until the last minute.

My group plan to go to a microbrewery that have good food, then park in downtown Minneapolis, and take the train to the Bank.

Can someone suggest a microbrewery or two that also have good food? I don't mind driving a little further.

I haven't been there yet personally, but I've heard rave reviews about the new Surly Brewery. It's within walking distance to the stadium, and the food is suppose to be top notch...

Poking around on GopherSports, it looks like the closed-end visitor's section has hundreds of tickets up for grabs. I thought the visiting team had until about a week before the game to sell to their fans. Is that not the case? It seems weird that TCU would have sent so many tickets back to us already.

Les Bolstads comment on TCU.

Doesn't think we will draw 45,000 for TCU. Someone reported on GI that 39,000 tickets had been sold for TCU according to the ticket grid on Gopher Sports. This without freshmen ticket promotions for the first game and a forthcoming general promotion for the TCU game. Boys and girls, this is a Thursday night prime time game against the #2 team in the country. Your thoughts. Is Les wrong or right and your reason?

Doesn't think we will draw 45,000 for TCU. Someone reported on GI that 39,000 tickets had been sold for TCU according to the ticket grid on Gopher Sports. This without freshmen ticket promotions for the first game and a forthcoming general promotion for the TCU game. Boys and girls, this is a Thursday night prime time game against the #2 team in the country. Your thoughts. Is Les wrong or right and your reason?

For an adult, you sure like to start petty arguments.

I guess we could wait and see how many people show up September 3rd? Just a thought.

And that's why we love LesBolstad. He's just trying to protect us from heartbreak.

Not trying to be a troll, but ----- up to now, the Gopher fan base has not been able to achieve sell-outs without a significant ticket purchase by the visiting fans. I submit that, for us to say that the Gophers have "arrived" as a major force in the Twin Cities sports community, they need to find a way to sell out a 50,000 seat stadium without help from visiting fans. Yes, the Gophers are gaining more respect from the regional and national media, but they need to find a way to make that translate into ticket sales. Somebody mentioned the freshmen class. That is going to be a big part of the equation: sell the freshmen on the idea that Gopher FB is fun, and TCF stadium is the place to be. get them hooked as fans, and keep them for the next 4 years.

With an improved program we are making gains on student attendance ( at really low prices ) and will continue that trend. Can't wait for the future 100 page post when student tickets go up $5 and people start ranting and raving about the world ending, seats going unused, and how it's unfair to suck people in with low ticket prices and then raise them.

Not trying to be a troll, but ----- up to now, the Gopher fan base has not been able to achieve sell-outs without a significant ticket purchase by the visiting fans. I submit that, for us to say that the Gophers have "arrived" as a major force in the Twin Cities sports community, they need to find a way to sell out a 50,000 seat stadium without help from visiting fans. Yes, the Gophers are gaining more respect from the regional and national media, but they need to find a way to make that translate into ticket sales. Somebody mentioned the freshmen class. That is going to be a big part of the equation: sell the freshmen on the idea that Gopher FB is fun, and TCF stadium is the place to be. get them hooked as fans, and keep them for the next 4 years.

If we want to sell out more games we need to do more "Gold Outs". That is what gets folks excited. That and different uniform combos.

If we want to sell out more games we need to do more "Gold Outs". That is what gets folks excited. That and different uniform combos.
And a fourth quarter song...

Consecutive 8 win seasons with bowl losses doesn't erase 50+ years of losing. 10+ wins, appearances in conference title games, and bowl wins will start to help.

Consecutive 8 win seasons with bowl losses doesn't erase 50+ years of losing. 10+ wins, appearances in conference title games, and bowl wins will start to help.

Wow! Get over it and stop whining! And quit feeling sorry for yourself! We have Jerry Kill and a great staff that are doing great things, yet it seems like you would prefer to spend your time looking backwards.:rolleyes:

Consecutive 8 win seasons with bowl losses doesn't erase 50+ years of losing.

8 wins is not bad, but the quality of the experience and atmosphere depends on WHO the wins came against, and non-conference scheduling at TCF has generally been filled with the likes of Directional Nobody Polytech in recent years. Getting past Bucky and Herky consistently would also help.

TCU was worse than the Goophers in the 1970's and 1980's, for people who really have such a long memory, and TCU used to be a regular feature in "bottom 10" lists. They only really turned it around in the 2000's with the help of middleweight WAC, CUSA and Mountain West schedules.

WE HAVE A SELL OUT!!!!
The Commons Hotel is sold out for the night of the 3rd. Thankfully I got my room a few weeks ago.

Wow! Get over it and stop whining! And quit feeling sorry for yourself! We have Jerry Kill and a great staff that are doing great things, yet it seems like you would prefer to spend your time looking backwards.:rolleyes:

I'm not whining, I'll be at the game. I see nothing but positivity with the Gopher program. My post is in response to why the general public is slow to catch on and why it is still difficult to sell out a 50,000 seat stadium.

One thing might prevent a sell-out: decades of dashed hopes.

Not sure where to post this, but this thread seemed like the best place:

From the Dallas Morning News:
Week 1 college football predictions: Longhorns or Irish? Aggies or Sun Devils? An early look

Kickoff: 8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 3

Last meeting: TCU 30, Minnesota 7 on Sept. 13, 2014 in Fort Worth

Breakdown: Last year's matchup was never really a fair contest as the Horned Frogs unleashed some of their new offense's potential against the Golden Gophers. This time around, Minnesota will have a much better idea of what to expect from the Frogs with a full year of film to study instead of one week against an FCS school. A layer of intrigue comes with this battle as the head coaches, Gary Paterson and Jerry Kill, have been friends for decades. Minnesota lost its best offensive player from last year in David Cobb, but quarterback Mitch Leidner showed improvement by the end of the season.

Key player: TCU WR Deante' Gray (pictured above). Against Minnesota, TCU faces what may be the best pair of cornerbacks in the Big Ten in Briean Boddy-Calhoun and Eric Murray. Most of their attention should be focused on top receivers Josh Doctson and Kolby Listenbee, likely giving Gray a speed advantage no matter who he matches with. Gray may be able to use his jets to put on a show on opening night.

Prediction: A night game in a hostile environment can be a tough way to start the season, but Gary Patterson will have his defense prepared while the offense picks up where it left off against Ole Miss. TCU 41, Minnesota 13.

— Ryan Gerbosi

Prediction: A night game in a hostile environment can be a tough way to start the season, but Gary Patterson will have his defense prepared while the offense picks up where it left off against Ole Miss. TCU 41, Minnesota 13.

— Ryan Gerbosi

No way. If we struggle in this game it will be on offense. Defense will hold them at 28 or less and if they have struggles it will be quarterback containment and up the middle at linebacker not on the edges at cornerback. If I wasn't such a homer I would peg this game at TCU 24-Gophers 10. With my Goldy glasses on it looks more like Gophers 20- TCU 17.

Not sure where to post this, but this thread seemed like the best place:

From the Dallas Morning News:
Week 1 college football predictions: Longhorns or Irish? Aggies or Sun Devils? An early look

Kickoff: 8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 3

Last meeting: TCU 30, Minnesota 7 on Sept. 13, 2014 in Fort Worth

Breakdown: Last year's matchup was never really a fair contest as the Horned Frogs unleashed some of their new offense's potential against the Golden Gophers. This time around, Minnesota will have a much better idea of what to expect from the Frogs with a full year of film to study instead of one week against an FCS school. A layer of intrigue comes with this battle as the head coaches, Gary Paterson and Jerry Kill, have been friends for decades. Minnesota lost its best offensive player from last year in David Cobb, but quarterback Mitch Leidner showed improvement by the end of the season.

Key player: TCU WR Deante' Gray (pictured above). Against Minnesota, TCU faces what may be the best pair of cornerbacks in the Big Ten in Briean Boddy-Calhoun and Eric Murray. Most of their attention should be focused on top receivers Josh Doctson and Kolby Listenbee, likely giving Gray a speed advantage no matter who he matches with. Gray may be able to use his jets to put on a show on opening night.

— Ryan Gerbosi

The funny part about this prediction is it makes an assumption that TCU's 3rd WR will have a speed advantage over our 3rd CB without realizing/researching that Jalen Myrick is one of the fastest players in college football. He has work to do as a corner so I'm not saying they won't take advantage of him, but it won't be because of speed.

Frogs O War: Previewing TCU's 2015 Opponents: Minnesota

With the questions Minnesota has on offense, it wouldn't be surprising to see TCU beat Minnesota in similar fashion to 2014. However, TCU struggled on the road in 2014, scoring fewer points than at home (45.4 ppg vs. 47.8), and allowing more points to opposing teams on the road (26.2 ppg vs. 16.1). With a defense that will be breaking in six new starters, if Minnesota can take advantage early things could get interesting.

I personally don't see it being a large margin of victory for TCU, but I do see TCU winning.

http://www.frogsowar.com/2015/6/30/8868445/previewing-tcu-2015-opponents-minnesota-golden-gophers

I've only been watching Gopher Football since 2010. But this is easily the most excited I have been for a game. My girlfriend and I will definitely be there. But 8PM? Might have to take Friday off haha.

This is the biggest game in the history of TCF. With the sh*t Norwood has pulled on the loyal fans with donations, and the progress made under Kill in his first 4 years, this is as big of a home game a we've seen since Michigan 2003 (cough cough).

Teague got greedy a year too quick on the donation stuff....the bandwagon was filing up (not full). We're coming off a top 3 season of our past 50 years, host a #2 or #3 team in TCU, also host Nebraska, Wisconsin &Michigan, and we have LESS season ticket holders than last year. If this season is anything less than wins, its going to be ghost town in 2016 with a bad home schedule and a major increase in donation requirements. Winning vs. TCU would go a LONG LONG ways for selling tickets in the rest of 2015, and upcoming years.

If the Gophers win the West this year, Teague's plan will work. If we go 7-5, or worse, its going to be ugly next fall.

Last year was NOT a top 3 season in the last 50 years.
Probably top 10, no way top 3.

The key to TCU will be turnovers and field position, last year we gave up 30 points because of these two issues, really should've been worse considering where most of TCU's scoring drives started from. If we can chew the clock with our ground game, throw in some new wrinkles with this no huddle offense and make TCU drive from deep in their own territory, we will be right there, but field position is key and Mitch needs to take care of the ball

The funny part about this prediction is it makes an assumption that TCU's 3rd WR will have a speed advantage over our 3rd CB without realizing/researching that Jalen Myrick is one of the fastest players in college football. He has work to do as a corner so I'm not saying they won't take advantage of him, but it won't be because of speed.

Spot on. Good post.

I've only been watching Gopher Football since 2010. But this is easily the most excited I have been for a game. My girlfriend and I will definitely be there. But 8PM? Might have to take Friday off haha.

I already have it off.

Last year was the most exciting gopher team I have seen in my 39 year life. Last year TCU was the best team in the country. They bring everyone back so I expect them to be the best team in the country this year. I think gopher fans are going to be disappoint big time in this game. I see people picking gophers to win?? So I am guessing those same people have gophers in the 4 team playoff. That would be something. Gophers are going to have another very good year but lose by 18-25 points.

Brian Bennett: If MN fans aren't going bonkers for TCU game, not sure they ev...

Last year was the most exciting gopher team I have seen in my 39 year life. Last year TCU was the best team in the country. <b>They bring everyone back </b>so I expect them to be the best team in the country this year. I think gopher fans are going to be disappoint big time in this game. I see people picking gophers to win?? So I am guessing those same people have gophers in the 4 team playoff. That would be something. Gophers are going to have another very good year but lose by 18-25 points.

I think they return 1 starter on Defense.

Top Bottom