Post Bulletin: Don Lucia has a goalie dilemma to solve

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Rochester Post Bulletin:

Goalie to replace

Don Lucia has a goalie dilemma to solve.

The backbone of the team the last three seasons, junior goalie Adam Wilcox, opted for the pros in late March. That's left Gophers men's hockey coach Lucia trying to figure out who might take his place.

He's got a bunch of unproven players to consider. They include Rochester Century 2012 graduate Brock Kautz, as well as former Austin Bruins goalie Nick Lehr, Minnesota's top backup this past season. Kautz spent the last five seasons in the North American Hockey League

Two others will also be in contention for the Gophers' starting spot. Lucia calls the race "wide open."

"I'm looking for consistency," Lucia said. "We need someone who makes the saves he's supposed to make, and a few of the ones he's not supposed to make. And it's one thing to do it in practice. You need to make plays when the lights are on."

Lucia is intrigued by what he's seen from Kautz.

"I like his athleticism," Lucia said. "I also like that he's older and has played lots of junior hockey."

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_4e58d71c-d3a0-5871-86e5-2fab58061515.html

Go Gophers!!

Wilcox stepped up when the Gophs were in the same situation three years ago.

Interesting, I thought it was no doubt Lehr's job, didnt know it was so open.

Hope it's open, they give the top 2 guys a chance opening weekend, and someone seizes the spot. Also hopefully not having a proven guy will crank up guys awareness that we need to play more solid d

Top Bottom