Will Ralph Sampson III earn a spot on an NBA roster soon?

CollegeFanatic55

Reaction score
It must have been hard growing up playing the same sport as your basketball celebrity dad. Ralph Sampson III will always have some big shoes to fill. This articles talks about his interview with Campus Sports in what it was like growing up with a famous dad. http://www.campussports.net/house-of-alumni/

My biggest accomplishment is leaving the collegiate arena with having scored over 1000 points, grabbing over 500 rebounds, and getting over 200 blocks. There were only two players in the history of Minnesota to do that, which were Kevin McHale and Mychal Thompson. So, I’m in good company.

I don't get this stat. The numbers seem relatively low for four years so I just picked Randy Breuer as a check. Breuer had over 1500 points, over 700 rebounds and over 200 blocks. Given this, I tried Jim Brewer. Brewer had over 1000 points, over 900 rebounds but I don't see any block numbers.

Blocked shots became an official NCAA statistic in 1985-86. So for McHale, Thompson, Breuer it was an unofficial stat being recorded, while I would guess for the likes of Brewer it wasn't even on the radar.

Uh I go against the man in the mirror erry day. What an arrogant prick!

The NBA would have to expand to NFL-size rosters and then the odds wouldn't be better than 50-50.

He also recorded 189 assists which very few in history of program have exceeded 1,000 points, 500, rebounds, 200 blocks, and over 150 assists.

Only if the entire NBA went on strike and management brought in replacement players.

And those players then went on strike and brought in more replacement players.

Lots of vitriol towards one guy who actually stuck with the program through a lot of roster turnover and teammates with character issues. He may have not had the most likable on court personality to some looking for more passion, but he was a solid 4 year contributer.

Lots of vitriol towards one guy who actually stuck with the program through a lot of roster turnover and teammates with character issues. He may have not had the most likable on court personality to some looking for more passion, but he was a solid 4 year contributer.

No doubt. If we had 4 ralphs types we'd be a lot more like Wisconsin than we are today from a program stability standpoint.

Sampson may not have lived up to his potential, but he was a solid player. Why are you ripping your fellow Gopher?

Sampson may not have lived up to his potential, but he was a solid player. Why are you ripping your fellow Gopher?

That always drives me crazy. A player is transferring to MN next year. The fans of his last school wish him well. On this board on the other hand, players and coaches get ripped. Maybe Gopher nation needs to learn a thing or two from the other fans in the country. Example, check out the ISU fans. They just lost a great coach to NBA. They may not be as good for the next several years, but they wish him well.

That always drives me crazy. A player is transferring to MN next year. The fans of his last school wish him well. On this board on the other hand, players and coaches get ripped. Maybe Gopher nation needs to learn a thing or two from the other fans in the country. Example, check out the ISU fans. They just lost a great coach to NBA. They may not be as good for the next several years, but they wish him well.

You've given us all a lot to think about.

P.S. from Cyclone board on whether his legacy changes:

Easily. Fred is dead to us now. I hope the Bulls go 11-69 next year. He'll be back soon enough like Tim Floyd. Book it.

It's obvious to me Fred that you could give to ****s about the employers interest all while they have been trying to look out for your best interests.

Yes, absolutely. Just like when LeBron took his "talents to South Beach". He did it for all the reasons that people find disgusting deep-down. This just makes it feel "cheap", like we were "used" for 4-5 years until something else came along even though we were told he'd love us forever.

time to take his jersey down in Hilton

It does for me. He will never be the mayor again. it feels like we have all been played and bought into this "dreamy" thing that he can do no wrong.

doesn't appear that isu, players, fans were really that important to him. he would make a great politician, and that's not a compliment.

Changes things for me and I've gone from understanding to ****** off.

Will Fred's legacy be tarnished? Absolutely! I can't wait for him to head out the door at this point. I hope he loses every game he coaches in the NBA. I also hope he never shows his face around Hilton ever again. Fred's legacy? Fred who?

These people must have learned from you and some other holers????? For the most part, I hear nothing but the praise. In every fan base, there people like these for sure.

So....just like Minnesota and its fan base. Gotcha.

Very true but for the most part people around here hardly say anything good about the former players. Don't bother to Google that, I read almost all the posts here and I think that I am not too far off.

That always drives me crazy. A player is transferring to MN next year. The fans of his last school wish him well. On this board on the other hand, players and coaches get ripped.

2.2 points and 0.7 rebounds will be tough to replace.

Again, like with Space, this needed to happen to make room for the freshmen

Fitz's missing production is nothing to cry over.

fitz couldn't hit the broad side of barn he had chances he didn't produce when he played. he is a good player for a ga southern or someone like that

He was a blackhole with the ball, couldn't understand the offense (as simple as it was), and couldn't really play defense. He's the last one standing without a chair to make way for our talented incoming class.

So many heartfelt well wishes.

Very true but for the most part people around here hardly say anything good about the former players. Don't bother to Google that, I read almost all the posts here and I think that I am not too far off.

Or you have a well-known bias which colors every thing you read here.

Colton Iverson leaves the U

Yeah, I'll wish Colt good luck. Like PC, I don't think he's leaving under terrible circumstances.

Good luck to him. I never doubted his effort and it was tough to watch him struggle this year.

This is a good move for Iverson. He gets a year to work on his game, and will hopefully have a breakout year after.

I wish we had more guys with the hustle and energy Iverson had. It was tough watching him struggle this year though. Good luck to him.

Good luck, big Colt!

I'm jealous of Colt -- another two free years of school, and he gets to go to school in Fort Collins.

I'm thinking and hoping Colt has a great season. I think he could be quite successful in that league.

IMO. Colt does not get credit for his effort and influence on the floor.

I wish Colton nothing but the best out there. I believe his failure to thrive here was also a direct result of Tubby's lack of offensive basketball acumen. In 2012-2013, methinks young Mr. Iverson will have the last laugh. Tubby will likely be out of here (thank God), and Colton will have a huge senior season.

Oops...that last one ripped Tubby. Sorry!

These people must have learned from you and some other holers????? For the most part, I hear nothing but the praise. In every fan base, there people like these for sure.

dude, do you not go on any other message board than this? we are the tamest bunch around. did you see what uk fans said about your guy tubby when he was there?! dear lord.

Last one, the guy who is going to be a Gopher next year didn't break a record or anything but the fans were classy enough to wish him well. People like you don't and never will understand there is a lot more in life than sitting behind your keyboard and bash the players who represented this school well.

Last one, the guy who is going to be a Gopher next year didn't break a record or anything but the fans were classy enough to wish him well.

If you ignore all of those that weren't classy and didn't wish him well, you are spot on as usual.

Top Bottom