All things NCAA Baseball Tournament/Big Ten

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Good start for the Big Ten, winning in all 3 early games.

Michigan up 8-1 on Bradley in top of 7th.

Iowa up 3-1 on Oregon in bottom of 6th.

Indiana up 4-0 on Radford in top of 4th.

Illinois and Maryland play later today.

Michigan gets B1G off to good start

Pounds RPI fraud Bradley 10-5. Was 10-1 going into the bottom of the 9th.

Indiana up 7-1 over Radford through 7.

Iowa up 3-1 over Oregon with rain delay in top of 9.

3-0 through day games

Iowa wins 3-1

Indiana wins 7-1

Maryland up 2-0 early on Ole Miss.

Good first day of the tournament and a great day for the B1G. A couple #1 seeds lost their opener yesterday UCSB 4-3 fell to San Diego State and VCU beat Dallas Baptist 7-2. Going into the day I liked pretty much all the B1G teams to win yesterday except I thought Maryland would maybe fall to Ole Miss but they were very impressive holding Ole Miss to only a couple hits.

Need to win 2 or 3 today to call it another good day. Iowa surprised me yesterday. Solid vs. Oregon. That's a weak regional, Hawkeyes might be able to take it. I say Illinois, Iowa, and Michigan win today. Michigan playing with a ton of confidence.

What I learned yesterday? Bradley, Dallas Baptist, and FAU are RPI frauds. The Missouri Valley has learned how to finagle the RPI to its advantage. Bradley, for sure, has no business being in the tournament. Same with FAU (of Conference USA).

The B1G suffers their 1st loss of the tournament as Louisville beats Michigan 4-3. Michigan got a 2 out 2 RBI pinch hit single in the bottom of the 8th off Louisville closer Zak Burdi to tie it but Louisville got a sac fly in the top of the 9th to take the lead back. The sac fly came on a great diving catch from the Michigan outfielder but he should have let it drop because it was a foul ball and there was no chance to throw out the runner. Looks like the Illinois/Notre Dame game has been moved to tomorrow because of weather.

B1G 6-3 through Day 2

Indiana, Iowa, Michigan all suffer close defeats but still alive. Maryland needs to win just 1 of its next 2 after knocking off #1 national seed UCLA, and Illinois 1-0 after that rainout. 2 teams to Super Regionals would have to be considered a success.

Sunday
Michigan (1-1) vs. Bradley (1-1), 11 am

Iowa (1-1) vs. Oregon (1-1), 2 pm

Illinois (1-0) vs. Notre Dame (1-0), 3 pm

Indiana (1-1) vs. Radford (1-1), 3 pm

Maryland (2-0) vs. UCLA (1-1)/Bakersfield (1-1) winner, 10 pm (ESPNU)

All the 1-1 matchups are rematches from Friday, all won by the B1G.

Does anyone know how they determine Super Regional hosts other than national seed? Maryland and Virginia were both #3 seeds in their regional and Virginia gets to host the Super Regional.

Super Regionals are set and 2 B1G teams are still alive.
Maryland @ Virginia
Louisiana-Lafayette @ #2 LSU
Cal State Fullerton @ #3 Louisville
Florida State @ #4 Florida
VCU @ #5 Miami
Vanderbilt @ #6 Illinois
Texas A&M @ #7 TCU
#8 Missouri State @ Arkansas

Super Regionals are set and 2 B1G teams are still alive.
Maryland @ Virginia
Louisiana-Lafayette @ #2 LSU
Cal State Fullerton @ #3 Louisville
Florida State @ #4 Florida
VCU @ #5 Miami
Vanderbilt @ #6 Illinois
Texas A&M @ #7 TCU
#8 Missouri State @ Arkansas

Pac 12 got shut out of Super Regionals, and Big XII needed a big-time choke job by NC State to get its lone spot (TCU). Not exactly sure what that says, but certainly think one could draw the conclusion that a team that tied for 3rd (MSU) in the Big Ten with Maryland & Michigan was more deserving of a bid than a team (Oregon) it swept on the road and finished 6th in the Pac 12.

Illinois is the B1G's last hope for a representative in Omaha after Maryland blows late leads in both games 1 & 2 against Virginia. Some very reliable relievers really struggled with control late for Maryland giving up walks and always seemed to be behind in counts in the late innings.

Mooney choked that series away for Maryland. Terps were the better team for the lion's share of both games.

Mooney choked that series away for Maryland. Terps were the better team for the lion's share of both games.
Looked like a completely different pitcher than the one I watched pitch last weekend in the UCLA regional.

Illinois giving closer Tyler Jay the start tonight against Vandy in a must win game I believe it is his 1st start of the year.

Definitely a good decision by Dan Hartleb. Would make no sense to go down without using your best weapon. Nothing to save him for. Can figure out Game 3 pitching later (if they win).

College World Series is set after TCU beat Texas A&M in 16 last night for the final spot
Saturday
Arkansas vs. Virginia 2pm
#4 Florida vs. #5 Miami 7pm
Sunday
#2 LSU vs. #7 TCU 2pm
Vanderbilt vs. Cal State Fullerton 7pm

Top Bottom