All Things Shamorie Ponds Recruiting Thread - UPDATED 9/16/15: Visit cancelled

I watched a lot of the "game". Despite being one of the lowest rated recruits on the court he definitely held his own. Hometown favorite, crowd was pumping him up all game long. A bit too flashy at times, but that was par for the course in that game. His defense actually impressed me. In a game of 1 on 1 duels, he held his own on both sides of the court.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

IIRC Ponds starts his St. John's official tomorrow. Critical for the Gophers to hold on for the next week and it's going to be nerve wracking, because I don't think the coaches are allowed to go visit him right now.

I don't think he will make a decision until he visits MN. He has too much respect for Kimani to not at least take a look.

I believe we have dodged a bullet. His visit is over and he didn't commit.

Looks like we should know by the end of the night whether or not Shamorie commits to St. Johns or will take his other visits.

“We’re going to sit down, we’re going to have a long, long talk later on today [Monday] over dinner because it was a whole bunch for a 17-year-old to digest,” Shawn Ponds, the player’s father, told SNY.tv Monday morning. “I explained to him that we’re going to sit down over dinner and I’m going to hear him out, what he loves about it, if he can handle it.”

http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/shamorie-ponds-to-huddle-with-family-following-st-johns-visit/

This is the part where he pulls a Reid Travis and eventually commits to the Gophers right?

I've been more optimistic about Coffey than Ponds the last couple of weeks. Wouldn't be surprised if he commits to SJU before he gets to Minneapolis.

Post from an admin on a St. John's message board:

Barring some drastic change of heart Ponds will not be taking any more visits and his commitment is imminent. Timetable for all this is not known but don't think it will drag on much longer.

http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=9127.260

It feels like this has happened a few times now where we've made it to a recruit's final few schools, and then they commit somewhere else before taking an official here. It sucks. I guess I couldn't be too mad if we still get Coffey and Curry, but damn, it seems like we were pretty close to nabbing a real nice out of state recruit here.

I love when the blue bloods saunter in at the last minute with an offer. This suddenly feels like the Tum Tum recruitment.

I love when the blue bloods saunter in at the last minute with an offer. This suddenly feels like the Tum Tum recruitment.

Sounds like Ponds isn't really listening to Arizona. St. John's fans still seem confident he's theirs.

Sounds like Ponds isn't really listening to Arizona. St. John's fans still seem confident he's theirs.

Sheeze.

I hope that he does come on his recruiting trip before he commits to St Johns and that he falls in love with our campus/school. We need him. He looks awesome!

I hope our recruiting class if full before he gets here. We need Coffey more than Ponds. And if Curry comes with Coffey I'm cool with that.

What would be really great is if Ponds takes that hypothetical 4th scholly, although I highly doubt Pitino oversigns this early in the cycle.

I hope our recruiting class if full before he gets here. We need Coffey more than Ponds. And if Curry comes with Coffey I'm cool with that.

What would be really great is if Ponds takes that hypothetical 4th scholly, although I highly doubt Pitino oversigns this early in the cycle.

There is no doubt Pitino would sign Shamorie, even if Amir and Curry both committed before him. He is not going to tell a top 60 player and his top target there is no room.

There is no doubt Pitino would sign Shamorie, even if Amir and Curry both committed before him. He is not going to tell a top 60 player and his top target there is no room.

Likely right. However I doubt we will ever find out.

per Zags:

Shamorie Ponds has four school visits slated for this week and it appears he will take his two remaining official visits before making a college decision.

There had been a possibility that he might decide after his recent official to St. John’s, his father told SNY.tv, but now it appears the visits will go forward.

The 6-foot-1 Thomas Jefferson guard hosts St. John’s head coach Chris Mullin, Creighton coach Greg McDermott and Providence coach Ed Cooley on Wednesday at his school, and Minnesota head man Richard Pitino comes in Thursday. Ponds is still planning to visit Providence Sept. 11-13 and Minnesota Sept. 18-20. He has already visited Creighton along with St. John’s.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/shamor...sits-still-planning-two-more-official-visits/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

— The Gophers are hosting four-star 2016 point guard Shamorie Ponds on Sept. 18-20, but he’s also receiving an in-home visit from Pitino on Thursday. St. John’s, Creighton and Providence are expected to have in-home visits with Ponds on Wednesday.

Imagine if Pitino can land Ponds, Coffey and Curry in the 2016 recruiting class that already includes Rochester John Marshall shooter Michael Hurt. That would definitely be a top 25 class and one of the best for the program in years. We’ll see how it all shapes up.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...nds-with-minnesota-players-on-official-visit/

Go Gophers!!

Goose bumps!!!

per Marcus:

— The Gophers are hosting four-star 2016 point guard Shamorie Ponds on Sept. 18-20, but he’s also receiving an in-home visit from Pitino on Thursday. St. John’s, Creighton and Providence are expected to have in-home visits with Ponds on Wednesday.

Imagine if Pitino can land Ponds, Coffey and Curry in the 2016 recruiting class that already includes Rochester John Marshall shooter Michael Hurt. That would definitely be a top 25 class and one of the best for the program in years. We’ll see how it all shapes up.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...nds-with-minnesota-players-on-official-visit/

Go Gophers!!

That would be a great class!

That would be a great class!

Am I the only one who has the feeling that Ponds is hosting visits to thank them and announce his decision to go to SJU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I the only one who has the feeling that Ponds is hosting visits to thank them and announce his decision to go to SJU?

I hope not. Can't imaging he'd ask 3 coaches to spend the time traveling to his home just to tell them he's going elsewhere. Hopfully the report from last week saying he's planning to make is officials is true.

Possibly.. but unlikely. If that were the scenario, I would imagine he or his parents would have the sense to do that kind thing over the phone and now make those coaches waste the time and effort on travel. I think at this point we passed the threshold for the early commit to SJU and he sticks it out for his remaining visits. Staff just has to do their job and bring home the bacon at this point- hopefully his relationship with Kimani will pay dividends. Not to mention, the kid disregarded the offer from Arizona, so he seems to have a good sense of loyalty.

I still think Ponds will end up in NYC, but I like our chances with the others. Getting the foursome would be earth shattering.

I suppose it does seem like a huge waste of three coaches' times. At first I heard and thought the family may be extending a courtesy to Kamini, but that relationship really wouldn't apply to the other coaches.

Top Bottom