School Chant Poll - Outside poll

Never heard the Wisconsin chant except when opposing fans chant to Becky fans

Voted for the gophers, but I'm not sure I've ever really heard a Ski U Mah chant outside of the kind of forced chant before football games. If they gave Wisconsin the ES FU chant instead of On Wisconsin, then I think they should have put Who hates Iowa? for us. That one at least gets used organically without someone else telling people to do it.

Voted for the gophers, but I'm not sure I've ever really heard a Ski U Mah chant outside of the kind of forced chant before football games. If they gave Wisconsin the ES FU chant instead of On Wisconsin, then I think they should have put Who hates Iowa? for us. That one at least gets used organically without someone else telling people to do it.
I always feel the Cheerleaders/band blow it when they play the band plays tunes that end with three staccato notes and the cheerleaders shout "Go Big Gold". It's so generic, why not use the 3 syllable cheer that is unique to our school? Ski U Mah needs to be more front and center in our cheering "culture" and I think it's improving in the last 5-10 years.

I always feel the Cheerleaders/band blow it when they play the band plays tunes that end with three staccato notes and the cheerleaders shout "Go Big Gold". It's so generic, why not use the 3 syllable cheer that is unique to our school? Ski U Mah needs to be more front and center in our cheering "culture" and I think it's improving in the last 5-10 years.

I've thought the exact same thing! Great minds haha. I'm not sure who you'd even contact - band director maybe?

LSU's chant seems a bit aggressive too.

Missing from the pole, is Nebraska's Go Big Red! Kansas Rock Chalk Jayhawk,

Missing from the pole, is Nebraska's Go Big Red! Kansas Rock Chalk Jayhawk,

No they are not. They both lost in the first round. GBR lost to Boiler Up. And Kansas lost to Rice's Stand Cheer, Drink More Beer.

Makes sense. Drop the generic "Go big gold" and replace it with Ski-U-Mah. Nobody ever refers to the Gophers as Big Gold anyway. The more fans hear Ski-U-Mah, the more they will be ready to yell it themselves.

I've thought the exact same thing! Great minds haha. I'm not sure who you'd even contact - band director maybe?

Makes sense. Drop the generic "Go big gold" and replace it with Ski-U-Mah. Nobody ever refers to the Gophers as Big Gold anyway. The more fans hear Ski-U-Mah, the more they will be ready to yell it themselves.

Current Band Member here. I believe 2 or 3 out of our most played "Band Cheers" (which I think is what you are refering to) during footbal games are supposed to end with "Ski-U-Mah", though the students are a bit lackluster when actually saying the cheer. While technically we could switch all the "Go Big Gold" lyrics with Ski-U-Mah in the other cheers, I think the two main reasons it hasn't happened is: 1. So that every cheer we play isn't "Ski-U-Mah" and 2. Some of these cheers have been here for so long, it would be a bit jarring for returning students and alumn to have the switch, plus the switch might not actually catch on due to returning students going "No, that's not how it goes, you're supposed to say Go Big Gold" to the freshman (Primary example, all the Men's Hockey Student Cheers that aren't the "Official" cheers, but stay nonetheless). Just my two cents, and this is in no way any official position from the band, just my opinion. I too would like to see Ski-U-Mah being used more frequently and/or more enthusiastically, but I also don't want to be overloaded by it.

I think Go Big Gold is so generic that people hardly notice it is there, let alone notice if it was gone. I favor saturating the game day experience with Ski-U-Mah.

Go Big Gold? People actually say that at the games? Huh... My beer goggles must be working better than I thought

I had no idea Go Big Gold was a chant and i've attended too many games to count.

I had no idea Go Big Gold was a chant and i've attended too many games to count.

I've heard it (very sporadically) and just shake my head when I hear it for the same reason that Ski U Master articulated.

And in response to Taji's note, with absolutely no disrespect intended: "1. So that every cheer we play isn't "Ski-U-Mah"" - USC has no problem playing their song after virtually every play. Roll Tide is used more than the word "the" in Alabama. Clanga, "We Are", Boomer Sooner, et al. are so ingrained in those fan bases that we should embrace ending EVERY.DAMN.CHEER. with Ski-U-Mah.

By the way, the poll closed, and Ski-U-Mah kicked the crap out of the Virginia cheer, so now we're up against Boomer Sooner.

Current Band Member here. I believe 2 or 3 out of our most played "Band Cheers" (which I think is what you are refering to) during footbal games are supposed to end with "Ski-U-Mah", though the students are a bit lackluster when actually saying the cheer. While technically we could switch all the "Go Big Gold" lyrics with Ski-U-Mah in the other cheers, I think the two main reasons it hasn't happened is: 1. So that every cheer we play isn't "Ski-U-Mah" and 2. Some of these cheers have been here for so long, it would be a bit jarring for returning students and alumn to have the switch, plus the switch might not actually catch on due to returning students going "No, that's not how it goes, you're supposed to say Go Big Gold" to the freshman (Primary example, all the Men's Hockey Student Cheers that aren't the "Official" cheers, but stay nonetheless). Just my two cents, and this is in no way any official position from the band, just my opinion. I too would like to see Ski-U-Mah being used more frequently and/or more enthusiastically, but I also don't want to be overloaded by it.
I don't think you need to be worried about Ski U Mah being overused as it is non existent. Similarly, I don't think there will be any issue with people saying "That's not right, it's 'Go Big Gold'" because nobody is doing that either. Right now it's the worst of all situations, the band plays the cheer and hits that big 3 note stinger and there is... silence.

I think Go Big Gold is so generic that people hardly notice it is there, let alone notice if it was gone. I favor saturating the game day experience with Ski-U-Mah.

Go Big Gold? People actually say that at the games? Huh... My beer goggles must be working better than I thought

I suppose, I might be over estimating how many times I hear it since the spirit squad is near us sometimes and they always say it.

I've heard it (very sporadically) and just shake my head when I hear it for the same reason that Ski U Master articulated.

And in response to Taji's note, with absolutely no disrespect intended: "1. So that every cheer we play isn't "Ski-U-Mah"" - USC has no problem playing their song after virtually every play. Roll Tide is used more than the word "the" in Alabama. Clanga, "We Are", Boomer Sooner, et al. are so ingrained in those fan bases that we should embrace ending EVERY.DAMN.CHEER. with Ski-U-Mah.

By the way, the poll closed, and Ski-U-Mah kicked the crap out of the Virginia cheer, so now we're up against Boomer Sooner.
I see what your saying, and I just wanted to say why I thought it hadn't changed, though there is most likely more than one entity that would have to approve the change sadly. But it never hurts to try I guess. We should try to get more people into the Ski-U-Mah chant before the game too!

I don't think you need to be worried about Ski U Mah being overused as it is non existent. Similarly, I don't think there will be any issue with people saying "That's not right, it's 'Go Big Gold'" because nobody is doing that either. Right now it's the worst of all situations, the band plays the cheer and hits that big 3 note stinger and there is... silence.
I see what your saying. I'm hope we can somehow get fans more involved with the cheers, get rid of that silence!

You guys let your team down. We got crushed by Roll Tide.

I am dissapoint

Top Bottom