Davonte Fitzgerald Transfers to University of Minnesota

Not going to pretend to know about Fitzgerald, had never heard his name before today but it's pretty clear Pitino is gearing up for a couple of big years. I've always thought he'd be here 5 years (three more to go if that's the case).. he's brought in three top 150 players for this class and Jarvis/Ahmad are quality pickups too.. hell, Jarvis was once higher rated than anyone else in the class.. but adding a could of transfers who are juniors a year from now is putting the Gophers in a spot to make some noise in 16-17.. he will only add a player with the remaining '16 scholarship if it's a top player like Goodin, Coffey or Ponds... otherwise he saves it for 17 and has Theo John and others ready to go (hopefully).. kids always transfer out to open up more spots, will probably happen again next offseason.

So let's see how this next year goes with this really good freshman class (wish they had Nwankwo over Gilbert just in terms of balancing the roster out but).... then add in 3-4 pieces next year and let's go. Go Gophers.

I thought Buggs was transferring this year, or was that last year? I swear we were assured he's a goner...

Looking beyond this upcoming season...

Maybe Pitino is confident in Gaston Diedou playing the 5 behind Kanote and Lynch.

Then we have Murphy, Gilbert, and Fitzgerald who can play the 3 and 4.

Dupree McBrayer can play the 2 and 3.

Then we got Mason, Dorsey, J. Johnson who can play the 1 and 2.

Is that not a fairly balanced roster? Sure, it is small, but it's not like the logjam is that big.

We have 1 viable big man for 2016, his name is Reggie Lynch. I realize Konate and Diedhou are on the roster, but I struggle to understand anybody who thinks they are good enough to make plans around.

I also don't know why Pitino is locking himself into having a 6'6 natural SF guarding opposing PF's. This really isn't ideal, this is the Big Ten.

FWIW, Amir and his father have said all along he wants to play PG in college. Recruiting a SF doesn't create a log jam unless Pitino is hoping to convince him he can't play point.

If the condition for his attending the U is getting to play PG, he isn't worth Pitino's time.

Wisconsin did pretty well in the B1G with 6'7 Nigel Hayes playing the 4.

Who is our natural SF? Murphy, Buggs, and Gilbert are all combo forwards. Same with Hurt.

I like the pickup.

Other than banking the scholly for 2016, I'm not sure what more anyone would have wanted from this situation. I could understand the argument of those who think Pitino should bring in a big man to play the 5 for this upcoming season. But what recruits are available to fill that role immediately this late in the game? The pickings are slim. We already have enough "project" big men on this roster and I doubt anyone on this board would be excited at getting another. In Pitino's system, you can't really ever have enough versatile 6-6, 6-7 guys, especially ones who have some NCAA experience.

Expectations for this season are already low, and I'm totally comfortable with BK and Gaston learning the ropes at the 5 throughout the season. If they show up and are better than expected, great! If they are who we think they are and are just okay, so be it. They will get some real game experience and hopefully be better the following season.

You can see the plan taking shape, you just need to buy in. This roster is shaping up to be something exciting for the 2016-2017 season! Go Gophers!

The A&M fans seem to think he has untapped potential. They have a ton of talent coming in next year so it seemed like Fitz wanted a change of scenery. Amir will play the 1/2 for us, not the 3. This does not affect him. I think Pitino wants to go deep into the post season in 2016. At that time he'll be adding transfer vets in Lynch and Fitz and hopefully the huge freshman class will be seasoned enough to make that big run.

2016 Roster:

Ball Handling Guards
Dorsey
Mason
Jarvis
McBrayer
[Amir?]

Wings/Combo Forwards
Buggs
Gilbert
Murphy
Fitzgerald
Hurt

Centers
Lynch
Konate
Gaston

I actually love that roster.

The way this roster shapes up, I would not be a bit surprised if Buggs is asked to add as much muscle as possible this summer and play backup center to Konate at times. I like Buggs, but this year is make or break for him.

Though I find it hard to believe, but maybe, just maybe, Pitino knows more than any of us???

2016 Roster:

Ball Handling Guards
Dorsey
Mason
Jarvis
McBrayer
[Amir?]

Wings/Combo Forwards
Buggs
Gilbert
Murphy
Fitzgerald
Hurt

Centers
Lynch
Konate
Gaston

I actually love that roster.

This is a very good way of breaking down the roster. Thanks for doing this

Though I find it hard to believe, but maybe, just maybe, Pitino knows more than any of us???

Amen! Psyched to watch Lofton, Martin and Nwankwo grow with the program.

He most certainly does and I am sure he understands what we need. I'm confident in his choices. However, it is important to understand, Dr. Don, that this is a forum for discussion and yes, even speculation, about Gopher basketball.

Actually, to him it's a game. He tries as hard as he can to keep the message board in an uproar, and then chuckles with a Dr. Evil laugh.

"Watch this next move Kimani, get your F5 finger ready, because GH is about to erupt!"

Dr-Evil.jpg

We have 1 viable big man for 2016, his name is Reggie Lynch. I realize Konate and Diedhou are on the roster, but I struggle to understand anybody who thinks they are good enough to make plans around.

I also don't know why Pitino is locking himself into having a 6'6 natural SF guarding opposing PF's. This really isn't ideal, this is the Big Ten.

Not saying you're wrong, but are Big Ten PF's consistently that much bigger than Murphy? Just thinking through last season in the big ten: Hayes, Rivers, Dawson, Edwards, Travis, etc. all seem to be in the 6'6'' to 6'8'' range and in the low to mid 200's in terms of weight. Not to mention the type of scheme Pitino wants to run and Murphy is a good rebounder for his size, he seems to be the perfect fit at PF.

Buggsberry

Sounds similar to poisonberry. Don't get me wrong, I actually remain a Buggs supporter and believe there is still some potential there for growth. If he is forced to play center however, I belive the team will really struggle in the B10. He's simply not physical enough, tall enough, or built well enough to play center.

Sounds similar to poisonberry. Don't get me wrong, I actually remain a Buggs supporter and believe there is still some potential there for growth. If he is forced to play center however, I belive the team will really struggle in the B10. He's simply not physical enough, tall enough, or built well enough to play center.

The Buggs we have all seen is everything you just said. I am just saying that it is possible the Pitino is pushing Buggs hard to muscle up if he wants to see playing time. Murphy is going to back up King at PF. Gilbert is going to see some time at SF along with Morris and McBrayer will probably swing to the 3 at times as well. I'm not saying Buggs will be able to pull it off, but I wonder if he is being asked to try. Center is where PT is available. Buggs does have the height- 6-9 is plenty tall with his wingspan. To now he has not shown the physicality and strength.

per GopherSports:

Gophers Complete Class with Addition of Davonte Fitzgerald

University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Tuesday the addition of Davonte Fitzgerald, who will transfer to the Gophers from Texas A&M. Fitzgerald, a 6'7, 209-pound forward who played two seasons with the Aggies, will sit out next season and have two years of on-court eligibility starting in 2016.

"We are excited about Davonte being a Gopher," Pitino said. "He has two years of experience playing at an extremely high level. A year off will serve him well as he gets healthy. He has great size and ability."

Fitzgerald, an Atlanta native, appeared in 49 games with six starts for the Aggies. He totaled 262 points (5.3 ppg) and 94 rebounds (1.9 rpg) along with 22 blocks during his two seasons in College Station, where he averaged 12.6 minutes per game. In 2014-15, Fitzgerald saw action in 25 games during his sophomore campaign after a freshman season where he averaged 7.3 points and 2.3 rebounds per contest before missing the final 10 games due to a knee injury.

Prior to his time at Texas A&M, Fitzgerald was rated a three-star prospect by Rivals.com and ESPN. He averaged 22.8 points and 9.2 rebounds per game during his senior season at Tucker High School, where he earned all-state and district MVP honors.

"Most importantly, he's a tremendous kid," Pitino added. "He will make a great Gopher."

Fitzgerald's addition totals the number of signees to seven for the upcoming season. Along with Illinois State transfer Reggie Lynch, Fitzgerald will redshirt the 2015-16 season due to NCAA rules, while freshmen Kevin Dorsey, Ahmad Gilbert, Jarvis Johnson, Dupree McBrayer and Jordan Murphy will be eligible to play immediately.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/052615aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Here's the press release:

MINNESOTA BASKETBALL: Gophers Complete Class with Addition of Davonte Fitzgerald
Dan Reisig 3:30 PM Flag this message Photos

​FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 26, 2015

Gophers Complete Class with Addition of Davonte Fitzgerald

University of Minnesota head men’s basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Tuesday the addition of Davonte Fitzgerald, who will transfer to the Gophers from Texas A&M. Fitzgerald, a 6’7, 209-pound forward who played two seasons with the Aggies, will sit out next season and have two years of on-court eligibility starting in 2016.

“We are excited about Davonte being a Gopher,” Pitino said. “He has two years of experience playing at an extremely high level. A year off will serve him well as he gets healthy. He has great size and ability.”

Fitzgerald, an Atlanta native, appeared in 49 games with six starts for the Aggies. He totaled 262 points (5.3 ppg) and 94 rebounds (1.9 rpg) along with 22 blocks during his two seasons in College Station, where he averaged 12.6 minutes per game. In 2014-15, Fitzgerald saw action in 25 games during his sophomore campaign after a freshman season where he averaged 7.3 points and 2.3 rebounds per contest before missing the final 10 games due to a knee injury.

Prior to his time at Texas A&M, Fitzgerald was rated a three-star prospect by Rivals.com and ESPN. He averaged 22.8 points and 9.2 rebounds per game during his senior season at Tucker High School, where he earned all-state and district MVP honors.

“Most importantly, he’s a tremendous kid,” Pitino added. “He will make a great Gopher.”

Fitzgerald’s addition totals the number of signees to seven for the upcoming season. Along with Illinois State transfer Reggie Lynch, Fitzgerald will redshirt the 2015-16 season due to NCAA rules, while freshmen Kevin Dorsey, Ahmad Gilbert, Jarvis Johnson, Dupree McBrayer and Jordan Murphy will be eligible to play immediately.

This means nothing in regards to Coffey, absolutely nothing. You actually think Pitino would pick up this kid if he thought he was just a AM bench warmer or would really hurt recruiting? In regards to next years scholarships if Pond and Coffey want one they will get one.

Amen! Psyched to watch Lofton, Martin and Nwankwo grow with the program.

You could make these kind of wisecracks at about every program in the country. Why not throw Mcneil in when you are at it? The jury is out on Richard but if your the kind that cooks your steaks in a microwave?

Didn't see a lot of A&M games but seems like a pretty solid pick up. Another guy who has some position versatility and with having to redshirt should hopefully be able to add some more muscle with a lot of time in the weight room. I don't really think this addition affects the Coffey recruitment much if at all.

This means nothing in regards to Coffey, absolutely nothing. You actually think Pitino would pick up this kid if he thought he was just a AM bench warmer or would really hurt recruiting? In regards to next years scholarships if Pond and Coffey want one they will get one.

Yep. Next year, unless players leave on their own accord this year like McNiel or Martin, get ready for spring Creaning to come to MN.

We still have one scholarship available for the 2016 class, correct?

Not saying you're wrong, but are Big Ten PF's consistently that much bigger than Murphy? Just thinking through last season in the big ten: Hayes, Rivers, Dawson, Edwards, Travis, etc. all seem to be in the 6'6'' to 6'8'' range and in the low to mid 200's in terms of weight. Not to mention the type of scheme Pitino wants to run and Murphy is a good rebounder for his size, he seems to be the perfect fit at PF.

The curious case of the "B1G 10 Body"....

Only time that has come to fruition is when Iowa shoots over guys left and right and when Purdue pounds the sh1t of you. Those two things are going to happen regardless of whether or not we recruit athletic 6'10" posts or versitile 6'7" wings....

The curious case of the "B1G 10 Body".... Only time that has come to fruition is when Iowa shoots over guys left and right and when Purdue pounds the sh1t of you. Those two things are going to happen regardless of whether or not we recruit athletic 6'10" posts or versitile 6'7" wings....

Yeah, have to agree. It's hilarious to me that as basketball moves more and more towards pace and space, all we care about is "BUT A B1G BODY!!!!!"

I agree with this post. What is Pitino doing? We need BIGS now we are down to one open scholarship next year and we are keeping that last spot open for combo guards? Someone needs to explain that we need someone that can play defense from the Power forward and center spot and who knows maybe grab a rebound.

Top Bottom