ESPNs Mitch Sherman: Gophers will win the division and the Axe!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPNs Mitch Sherman:

Take 2: Mitch Sherman

I'll see your temptation to pick Minnesota, Brian, and raise it by going all in on the Gophers. Minnesota hasn't won a Big Ten crown since 1967, and I'm not about to go there, but the West is ripe to be represented by new blood in the championship game.

This choice stems from the uncertainty that surrounds Nebraska and Wisconsin as much as my confidence in the Gophers to get over the top after consecutive eight-win seasons. Minnesota, despite wins over Nebraska the past two seasons, is fortunate to play the Huskers before the second half of the season. Position by position, Nebraska wins a talent comparison with any team in the division, but the Huskers, particularly on offense, will be more inconsistent early in the season than late.

If the Gophers get to the Saturday after Thanksgiving with a chance to win the division, unlike last season at Wisconsin, I think Kill's group gets it done in the Axe game. Gone is Melvin Gordon, of course, as the one player with an ability to take over in this rivalry. I like Mitch Leidner's experience here and the ability of the Minnesota secondary to eliminate the threat of an effective Wisconsin passing game. Against a one-dimensional Wisconsin offense in the cold -- and snow that I envision in the long-term forecast -- the Gophers win the race to 20 points and probable victory.

Remember, it's only May, and I reserve the right to revise this pick, based on summer developments involving any of the top three contenders. But I doubted the Gophers in 2014. No more. Matchups with TCU and Ohio State will only serve to prepare the Gophers for their crucial final stretch on the road to a first Big Ten title-game appearance.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/119366/take-two-west-division-favorite

Go Gophers!!

I wasn't aware that Nebraska had one of the top secondaries in the country. Interesting.

He's the best sports journalist of all-time as far as I'm concerned. However, the first sign that he has anything remotely negative to say about the beloved Maroon and Gold and he might as well be hanging with Myron, Dienhart, and Souhan. It's the GH way. :cool02:

He's the best sports journalist of all-time as far as I'm concerned. However, the first sign that he has anything remotely negative to say about the beloved Maroon and Gold and he might as well be hanging with Myron, Dienhart, and Souhan. It's the GH way. :cool02:

Is fit like Soupcan?

Keep an eye on this writer. He's clearly an up-and-comer.

Let's face it, the man knows football!

Top Bottom