Shama: Jim Dutcher Understands Rick Pitino Role

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Rick Pitino has used the media to defend his son Richard Pitino this year. After the Gophers stumbled to a disappointing 6-12 Big Ten record and no post-season play, the legendary Louisville coach pointed out his son Richard—only in his second year of rebuilding at Minnesota—had no all-conference players to work with. Then earlier this month the elder Pitino disclosed his son seriously considered the Alabama coaching vacancy but wasn’t interested because he hadn’t established himself as head coach of the Gophers.

Gophers fans have been surprised to find two Pitinos speaking for the Minnesota men’s basketball program. Jim Dutcher offered interpretation and opinion on the subject. Dutcher is a qualified source since he is a former Gophers head coach, follows the program closely and also has a son in major college basketball coaching.

While it might bother Gophers fans that Rick, 62, is speaking for Richard, 32, Dutcher sees a protective parent at work using his platform as one of college basketball’s most prominent coaches. Dutcher, though, isn’t interested in going public with statements about Brian and his career.

“It’s not a role that I would play in Brian’s thing,” Dutcher said. “I get asked all the time why isn’t he the head coach? I say because it’s Steve’s job, and I don’t take it any further than that.

“Do you want your son to do well? Absolutely. Are you defensive about any criticism he may get? Absolutely. How you handle that. …I guess to each his own. I try not to be critical (the Pitinos). I just see it as a dad trying to be defensive in the defense of his son.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

pointed out his son Richard—only in his second year of rebuilding at Minnesota—had no all-conference players to work with.

or

They're a very underrated team. I watched them play last year, every possession almost. Lived and died every possession.

"They've got a senior backcourt (DeAndre Mathieu and Andre Hollins). Two outstanding centers (Eliason and Mo Walker). A really good junior-college small forward (Carlos Morris). And their power forward (King) is almost like a three-man; he's a pick-and-pop guy. And their bench is much stronger than it was last year

Whatever fits, I guess.

Nice find Ray. Old Dutch is full of crap. Lil' Richie had plenty of pieces for a .500 B10 record at worst. He'll be on the hot seat if he doesn't improve on 6-12.

Nice find Ray. Old Dutch is full of crap. Lil' Richie had plenty of pieces for a .500 B10 record at worst. He'll be on the hot seat if he doesn't improve on 6-12.

I agree that Richard did not use the pieces he had last year to maximize performance. I too think that Richard will be on the hot seat if things don't improve. However, that can be said of any and all coaches. He will have a very young squad to work with next year and I am very concerned about the lack of depth and experience in the front curt. That being said, Richard has recruited well this year (besides Bigs) to his style of play. I have to believe that if the team competes well, let's say 7 and 11 or 8 and 10 in the Big Ten, kills any rumors quickly about other programs, that there will be no hot seat for Richard for another 3 or 4 years.

Please make it Stop!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullschidt.

The reading skills of some of you are nonexistent. Dutcher isn't commenting on Richard's job coaching. He's simply offering his perspective as a former coach who understands where Rick is coming from.

"How you handle that. …I guess to each his own. I try not to be critical (the Pitinos). I just see it as a dad trying to be defensive in the defense of his son.”

The reading skills of some of you are nonexistent. Dutcher isn't commenting on Richard's job coaching. He's simply offering his perspective as a former coach who understands where Rick is coming from.

"How you handle that. …I guess to each his own. I try not to be critical (the Pitinos). I just see it as a dad trying to be defensive in the defense of his son.”

Can we all agree that a 32 year old coach doesn't and shouldn't need help from his Dad?

Can we all agree that a 32 year old coach doesn't and shouldn't need help from his Dad?

Nope. You always need help from dad/mom. It doesn't stop just because you get a $2 mil job and are moved out of the house. Advice and guidance will probably happen until the parent dies.

We would applaud Richard for having a relationship with a hall of fame coach as his mentor if their last names didn't have the same letters in them.

I'm 30, run a successful company in the same industry as my pappy. I reach out for guidance from him daily, not ashamed at all and I plan on continuing to do so while he's on this earth.

We would applaud Richard for having a relationship with a hall of fame coach as his mentor if their last names didn't have the same letters in them.

I'm 30, run a successful company in the same industry as my pappy. I reach out for guidance from him daily, not ashamed at all and I plan on continuing to do so while he's on this earth.

There is a difference between Rick serving as a mentor to Richard and Rick going to the media to make excuses for his son and to trash his players.

Good to see you didn't put a time frame on it. With the youngest team in the conference next year, my expectations are for improvement from the beginning of the year to the end of the year. The 2015-2016 season is probably a .500 or slightly better pre- season and a 3-5 win big ten regular season. They will have a few very close games that go down to the wire but doubtful they will walk away with a win half those times because of inexperienced guards. As long as you have realistic expectations and look forward rather than constantly bitsh about the past, next year will be fun to watch as the new players develop.

There is a difference between Rick serving as a mentor to Richard and Rick going to the media to make excuses for his son and to trash his players.

Wasn't what I was responding to. I responded to someone suggesting that Rick is 32 and shouldn't need help from another coach.

Good to see you didn't put a time frame on it. With the youngest team in the conference next year, my expectations are for improvement from the beginning of the year to the end of the year. The 2015-2016 season is probably a .500 or slightly better pre- season and a 3-5 win big ten regular season. They will have a few very close games that go down to the wire but doubtful they will walk away with a win half those times because of inexperienced guards. As long as you have realistic expectations and look forward rather than constantly bitsh about the past, next year will be fun to watch as the new players develop.

If we go roughly .500 against the cupcakes we tend to play out of conference and go 3-15 or even 5-13 in conference, this season will be a miserable failure. I don't expect to see a tournament bid this year (though I am frustrated that my expectations are that low), but we need to do better than last year.

If we go roughly .500 against the cupcakes we tend to play out of conference and go 3-15 or even 5-13 in conference, this season will be a miserable failure. I don't expect to see a tournament bid this year (though I am frustrated that my expectations are that low), but we need to do better than last year.

Maybe, but many of those cupcakes won quite a few games against big ten teams during the pre season last year. Everyone thought the big ten was down in 2014 because of those preseason cupcake losses by Michigan, Michigan St., Indiana, Nebraska, Purdue and those teams had more experience guards than we have this year. You can call it a disappointment, I'll call it reality and be very surprised if the Gophers can get to .500 including preseason and regulary season games.

Maybe, but many of those cupcakes won quite a few games against big ten teams during the pre season last year. Everyone thought the big ten was down in 2014 because of those preseason cupcake losses by Michigan, Michigan St., Indiana, Nebraska, Purdue and those teams had more experience guards than we have this year. You can call it a disappointment, I'll call it reality and be very surprised if the Gophers can get to .500 including preseason and regulary season games.

There were a few bad games, but every B1G team last year had a winning out of conference record. If we post a .500 out of conference record like you said in your earlier post, that will be worse than any team in the conference last year. Also, 3 B1G wins would be worse than all but one team in the B1G last year. There is a difference between tempering expectations and having none.

Top Bottom