GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Matt Kegel on Committing to Gophers: "It is a great feeling right now."

Q&A: Matt Kegel on Committing to Gophers: "It is a great feeling right now."
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/518278?referrer_id=

Matt Kegel, a 6-foot-5, 295-pound junior offensive tackle from Chaska (MN) High, became the seventh Minnesota player to commit to the Gophers. Kegel helped lead the Hawks to a 7-3 record last season, losing to Northfield 40-21 in the second round of the Class 5, Section 2 playoffs. Kegel is considered one of the state's top linemen in the Class of 2016.

GopherHole.com caught up with Kegel to learn the latest on his decision.

Gopher Hole: You recently committed to Minnesota. What was the main reason that you decided that Minnesota was where you wanted to play college football?

Matt Kegel: I have been thinking for a while now about Minnesota. I was down to Oklahoma State and Minnesota. I made a pro and con list for both and looking at both of them and taking everything into account and I just saw that Minnesota was going to be the best place for me. I am going to get a great education and continue to play a sport that I love.

Gopher Hole: What has been the reaction of your family and friends?

Matt Kegel: All of my family is excited. They said "Hey, we can watch you and go to all your games and it is relatively close." They will be close. My mom is excited, of course, because I am not going to be a 14-hour drive away. They are excited for me and they are happy that I am happy. It is a great feeling right now.

Gopher Hole: You played with incoming Minnesota freshman Bronson Dovich the past couple of years at Chaska. Have you talked to him much since you committed and had you talked to him much through the whole recruiting process?

Matt Kegel: Yes. He has directed me through it. One thing that I really wanted to think about is; am I going to Minnesota because I wanted to go there and not just because I wanted to play with Bronson? I wanted to make sure that was where I wanted to go. Me and Bronson are pretty good friends, so I talked to him throughout the entire recruiting process. He has been kind of recruiting for Minnesota the whole time. I think that Bronson being there and being able to answer questions that I had about the whole process and about the school, really helped me making that decision.

Gopher Hole: You have played with him in the past. What will it be like to play with him at the collegiate level?

Matt Kegel: I mean it is awesome. Not too many kids get the opportunity to play with teammates at the next level. Bronson has kind of been like a older brother to me since I was freshman, so it will be cool to continue to be with him.

Gopher Hole: Minnesota has really stepped up making getting in-state to stay home to be a priority. You are the seventh player to commit to Minnesota who is an in-state junior. Is that something that you have talked to some of the other in-state kids about maybe changing the culture and having Minnesota kids being part of the future?

Matt Kegel: Yes. I have actually become good friends with a lot of them. We have met each other through the recruiting process. It is nice to be able to talk to kids who are going through the same process as you. Not everyone understands how much everything goes into it. I talk to all those guys all the time. We shout out ideas off of each other and it is pretty cool to see that we are building this program and our goal is that this Class of 2016 is that we want to start an empire in Minnesota and to make our names known outside of Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: Is there any of the kids that have also committed that you have grown particularly close to?

Matt Kegel: Carter Coughlin. Me and him have hung out a couple of times. We talk every once in a while, so that is pretty cool. Thomas Barber and I have become pretty close. We share message with all the commits. We are pretty close already and we want that connection going into school.

Gopher Hole: I know that you just committed, but does it feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders already?

Matt Kegel: That was one thing that I was planning on. I was really happy to be able to make my decision before my senior season. All the people that I have talked to, like Bronson and Frank Ragnow from Chan said that you are going to be so much better off, if you just get it done with and not have to deal with it during your senior season.

Gopher Hole: At Chaska¸ you had a really strong sophomore season when you made it to the state semifinals. You had a good season last year, but didn't make it quite as far in the postseason. What are the expectations for you in your last year of playing high school football?

Matt Kegel: We have a good team coming back. We have some positions that need to be filled. The key position would be quarterback. We have some players coming up. Hopefully, we can have some kids step up in the positions that we need them to. It really goes down to; is how hard does this team want to work?

Gopher Hole: What things are you going to be working on, not only to have a big senior year, but also to get ready to play college football?

Matt Kegel: I have been working with a trainer three days a week. I have been working on my foot work and my mobility. That was kind of a big thing that I needed to work on was speed and mobility, so I am just going to continue with that and lifting weights and getting in the gym and working on my technique.

Gopher Hole: Have the Gophers said much to you about position or where you are going to play in college?

Matt Kegel: I have not really talked to them about that. I would like to stay on the right side, but I am fine with whatever. I'm kidding. It is my dream to play college football, so wherever they want to put me, I'll gladly play that position with a big smile on my face.

Gopher Hole: Oklahoma State had been recruiting you for awhile. How hard was it to say no to them?

Matt Kegel: My mom went to school there, so I have been down there a couple of times. I love it down there. The coaching staff was great. It was pretty difficult, but I think the distance just came to be a factor that I don't think that I was ready to deal with.

Top Bottom