Wisconsin Early Enrollee QB Austin Kafentiz transferring

die hard gopher

Reaction score
Interesting that a high 3/low 4 star QB from their 2015 class is already transferring after one spring semester. Looks like the other early enrolled QB, Alex Horbibrook who was much less hyped coming in, beat him out. Also interesting to see what happens with former 4 star DJ Gillins who like Kafentiz, probably doesn't fit Chryst's system very well either. Looks like the 2nd coaching change in 3 years is already paying dividends.

http://wisconsin.247sports.com/Board/23/Contents/Kafentzis-Leaves-the-Program-37406774

Weren't wisconsin fans really hyped up about him as well?

Huh. Maybe wisconsin is going to be a little more bothered by this coaching change than I thought. The article said after talking to the new coach he decided to stick with wisconsin and enroll early, wonder what the coach told him because it sure doesn't sound like the coach was giving him a fighting chance at the QB position. Which is weird because the last statement of the article was "In his final appearance in the spring game, Kafentzis was 3-3 passing for 53 yards against the first-team defense, including a 34-yard touchdown pass on the game's final play." I guess I would be happy with a true freshmen early enrollee putting up those numbers in his first spring game...

There could be more to this story than coach/system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When Gary Anderson left for Oregon State the conventional wisdom was he would follow him, particularly when Chryst was hired. This all went down during the dead, no contact time. Kafentiz made a one day visit to Corvallis and the assumption was that he would switch. A couple days passed and then he recommited to the Fadgers. It made no sense as this kid is the prototypical spread QB and Andersen made a big deal out of the fact he was going to run the same spread offense he did at Utah State. The rumor was that the family demanded that he had to be guaranteed to be the starter in order to switch and GA told then he would have to compete like everyone else.
Chryst apparently never had any intention of using him as a QB, but did not want to lose a very good recruit and told him he would be a QB at Wisconsin. This all happened in a time crunch due to the fact the kid was going to be an early enrollee and things had to be decided quickly. The kid made a dumb choice as his skill set does not match the pro style run by Chryst and Chryst has some slime on him for being less truthful about his plans with the kid.

When Gary Anderson left for Oregon State the conventional wisdom was he would follow him, particularly when Chryst was hired. This all went down during the dead, no contact time. Kafentiz made a one day visit to Corvallis and the assumption was that he would switch. A couple days passed and then he recommited to the Fadgers. It made no sense as this kid is the prototypical spread QB and Andersen made a big deal out of the fact he was going to run the same spread offense he did at Utah State. The rumor was that the family demanded that he had to be guaranteed to be the starter in order to switch and GA told then he would have to compete like everyone else.
Chryst apparently never had any intention of using him as a QB, but did not want to lose a very good recruit and told him he would be a QB at Wisconsin. This all happened in a time crunch due to the fact the kid was going to be an early enrollee and things had to be decided quickly. The kid made a dumb choice as his skill set does not match the pro style run by Chryst and Chryst has some slime on him for being less truthful about his plans with the kid.

Good Info. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something is stinky in cheeseland for Gary Anderson to bolt to Oregon State.

Sooner or later, this thing with Kafentiz is going to nip them in ye butt.

It is only a matter of time before the Gophers exact some payback for eleven years of agonizing defeats.

Whatever became of Bart Houston? If I recall, he was in Nelson's class and was supposed to be a pretty big QB recruit.

What are the transfer rules for a case like this?

Always nice to see guys transfer out of Wisconsin, but I'm not going to make too much out of it, either. McKinzy didn't last a heck of a lot longer here. Transfers happen, sometimes early and often, especially at the QB position.

I don't buy any of this. If recent threads have taught us anything, it's that Madison is not a Cosmopolitan City. My bet is that Austin spent a few months in Madison, was shocked that he could not attend world class theater or orchestra performances, and decided to transfer. Simple as that.

I don't buy any of this. If recent threads have taught us anything, it's that Madison is not a Cosmopolitan City. My bet is that Austin spent a few months in Madison, was shocked that he could not attend world class theater or orchestra performances, and decided to transfer. Simple as that.

Ha funny. You beat me to this response.

lol....the gopherhole can be obsessive at times....

I live in Madison-you can see the panic buttons starting to come on with many of my friends. It maybe no big deal, but it is nice to see the arrogance that many Badger fans come down a peg or two. Day by day we are passing them by.

I live in Madison-you can see the panic buttons starting to come on with many of my friends. It maybe no big deal, but it is nice to see the arrogance that many Badger fans come down a peg or two. Day by day we are passing them by.

Especially with recruiting. They aren't exactly enamored with their current commits and were in meltdown mode about Chryst when Tuf Borland committed to OSU. I would love to see their reaction if their two 4 star in-state lineman commit elsewhere which is a legitimate possibility.

Barry loves coaching the Fadgers in their bowl games.

Maybe the mettlesome BA should just get back to coaching.

After all, Chryst will be looking to bolt too. Mark my words. The announcements will be at end of regular season. In that way, Barry gets his coaching gig in a bowl game.

It's great for the GOphers. Let them have their coaching carousels.

We all know that sooner or later the pendulum will swing the Gophers way, and they will exact payment in kind with consecutive Fadger loses.

sit out a yr?

i would have thought he could still up and move on. probably not much more than just wanting to play closer to home and not having to live with kids from Cuba City, De Pere and Appleton. wait, i read the article....didn't like his chance of not being the qb. see pnels. ran track this spring...enjoy sitting out a year.

He has to sit out a year, but he can practice, he probably would have red shirted anyway. The big question is will he get his release? He can't receive a scholarship for a year. if he doesn't, I'm a little hazy on the not receiving a release, but it might also mean, he can't join the team until school starts.

He has to sit out a year, but he can practice, he probably would have red shirted anyway. The big question is will he get his release? He can't receive a scholarship for a year. if he doesn't, I'm a little hazy on the not receiving a release, but it might also mean, he can't join the team until school starts.

It would be almost unheard of to not get his release except they may specify no B1G school or no school on their schedule (maybe not even that since it was just spring practice). It's not like there was some scandal or anything. The kid realized he wasn't going to fit in and wants to try his luck elsewhere. Maybe he goes to the minors (FCS)?

The probable landing spot is Florida. The went after him pretty hard after Andersen ditched the Fadgers and they only have a couple QB's on scholly.

Top Bottom