Madison a cosmopolitan city???

Reaction score
Sorry, I have to post this. My buddy sent a blip from buckyville about some knucklehead comparing Madison to Corvallis, Oregon ( Oregon State ) where Anderson moved too. The guy basically called Corvallis a sh-t hole and referre d to Madison as a cultural cosmopolitan city. I traveled the sate of Oregon and had accounts in Corvallis. It is a beautiful setting for a campus town with lots of things to do. The stupidity of the Badger fan base truly amazes me. My wife who is pretty pass sey about such things had a good chuckle. She's been to Madison...

Sorry, I have to post this. My buddy sent a blip from buckyville about some knucklehead comparing Madison to Corvallis, Oregon ( Oregon State ) where Anderson moved too. The guy basically called Corvallis a sh-t hole and referre d to Madison as a cultural cosmopolitan city. I traveled the sate of Oregon and had accounts in Corvallis. It is a beautiful setting for a campus town with lots of things to do. The stupidity of the Badger fan base truly amazes me. My wife who is pretty pass sey about such things had a good chuckle. She's been to Madison...

madison is a cultural cosmopolitan city thanks to photoshop.

Corvallis is a bit of a back water but you're not too far from the coast and Portland. Oregon is weird. You have the coast which is nice in parts, trashy in other, but when you drive inward it gets weird. Like Deliverance weird. Redneck city with a dose of crazy hippie communes.

Ruprect, my Dear Friend,

Nice to see you still spend time over at Bucky Ville ("my buddy sent a blip" -- you crack me up!). Here's the apparent quote to which "your buddy" is referring:

"If he considers Corvallis a good fit then all of this uproar with him leaving begins to ring very true. Madison and Corvallis are polar opposites on the college-town coolness scale. Despite its small size, Madison comes off as pretty cosmopolitan and its reputation and one of America's best cities and best college towns is well known. Corvallis comes across as bucolic and very small-town. It reminds me of a slightly larger Whitewater without as much going on. As important as OSU is, to Corvallis the university may play second fiddle to the agriculture industry in the Willamette Valley. Don't get me wrong, Corvallis is a nice town, but it takes a backseat to Eugene, so you have a much better idea of how it would compare to Madison."

"Corvallis is a nice town" = "basically a sh-t-hole" in Ruprect-speak.

Based on your personal endorsement I looked for Corvallis (as well as Minneapolis) on this list, but came up empty handed. Could you ask "your buddy" to double check it for me?

Cheers,
Archie

P.S. Sorry to hear that your wife is "pass sey" but at least she's in good company, you cosmopolitan bastard, you.

So your wife is outdated in regards to things such as Madison? Or did you mean blah sey?

I was at a bar near Corvallis last year where they had an open mic night. Some dude dedicated his song to Mother Nature. Not sure how that applies to this thread, but can't help Corvallis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Listen I loathe all things Red as much as the next person but Madison is a diverse city with plenty of cultural and is by far the nicest city in the state of Wisconsin. Queue the lipstick on a pig statements. I would argue out of the 8 away games I have been to Madison is far away the most cosmopolitan city of those. Never have been to Corvallis but to degrade Madison is a bit ridiculous it is a great place to live and raise kids.

Oh look, yet another Badger Obsession thread started by Rupert.

Madison is a great city. It's the people that are schidtheads.

Ruprect, my Dear Friend,

Nice to see you still spend time over at Bucky Ville ("my buddy sent a blip" -- you crack me up!). Here's the apparent quote to which "your buddy" is referring:

"If he considers Corvallis a good fit then all of this uproar with him leaving begins to ring very true. Madison and Corvallis are polar opposites on the college-town coolness scale. Despite its small size, Madison comes off as pretty cosmopolitan and its reputation and one of America's best cities and best college towns is well known. Corvallis comes across as bucolic and very small-town. It reminds me of a slightly larger Whitewater without as much going on. As important as OSU is, to Corvallis the university may play second fiddle to the agriculture industry in the Willamette Valley. Don't get me wrong, Corvallis is a nice town, but it takes a backseat to Eugene, so you have a much better idea of how it would compare to Madison."

"Corvallis is a nice town" = "basically a sh-t-hole" in Ruprect-speak.

Based on your personal endorsement I looked for Corvallis (as well as Minneapolis) on this list, but came up empty handed. Could you ask "your buddy" to double check it for me?

Cheers,
Archie

P.S. Sorry to hear that your wife is "pass sey" but at least she's in good company, you cosmopolitan bastard, you.
My good man selective reading on your part. If you wouldn't be concerned with being so cute with your response you may want to look at the topic title. Then look up the definition of " Cosmopolitan"
The next question would be have you been to Madison? Live and raise kids and Madison being cosmopolitan are completely irrelevant.

Ruppert
What is that you need to do in life that you can't do in Madison? Just curious. Thanks.

Ruppert
What is that you need to do in life that you can't do in Madison? Just curious. Thanks.

Few places on earth fail this question if only criteria is sustaining life. Hard to argue that Madison isn't cosmopolitan though. Colleges bring diversity, Madison is a college town.

Ruppert

Morning General! It is what you can't do in Madision:
Go to a Super Bowl
Go to the World Series
Go to a a B1G college baseball game ( go figure )
NBA finals
NHL finals
NCCA Regional or Final 4.
Mall of America
Guthrie Theater
Light rail system
The Ordway
Ryder Cup
Sky way system.
Bottom line. Madison is a college hamlet that somehow became the Capitol of Wisconsin when 90 miles East the meaning of cosmopolitan can be applied to the "city" of Milwaukee. Period, end of story.

I think this is another question of definition. I read "cosmopolitan" as meaning more artsy - theatre, art galleries, symphony orchestras, lectures - more high-brow stuff.

I lived in Wisconsin for 4+ years, and I would go to Madison fairly often. When I think of Madison, I think of State Street - the shops, bars and restaurants that cater to the college crowd. I don't consider that to be "cosmopolitan" - not in the same sense as the Guthrie, The Walker art center, and other arts-related places in the Twin Cities.

There's nothing wrong with Madison, but it's not in the same class as the Twin Cities for arts and entertainment.

If you establish a grid based on strip malls of towns with the same population as Madison . Madison would win hands down. Every college town has a " State Street " I've been to most of the college towns in the B1G and and most have cool hang out areas. I do agree that Madison on game day goes off the seismograph on the drunk meter. If you want to get sloppy drunk, puke, and end up with fat girl at the local Super 8 Madison is your kind of town.

Listen I loathe all things Red as much as the next person but Madison is a diverse city with plenty of cultural and is by far the nicest city in the state of Wisconsin. Queue the lipstick on a pig statements. I would argue out of the 8 away games I have been to Madison is far away the most cosmopolitan city of those. Never have been to Corvallis but to degrade Madison is a bit ridiculous it is a great place to live and raise kids.

Of the 8 you visited I will assume you took in a game in Evanston. Evanston is a true cosmopolitan city unto itself and is an elevated ride to Wrigley and all of the loop. Madison likes to think they are something special. Not really. They are the only thing. Now that Maryland has joined the Big 10, you can take another step back on the cosmopolitan ratings. Madison is no better no worse than Lincoln, NE.

I spent the first 18 years of my life in Madison, and visit my mom who still lives there regularly. I've lived the rest of my life to date in truly cosmopolitan cities Minneapolis-St. Paul and Chicago and visited cosmopolitan cities throughout Europe and Asia. With that as my point of reference I feel comfortable calling Madison a very nice place that isn't close to being cosmopolitan.

I spent the first 18 years of my life in Madison, and visit my mom who still lives there regularly. I've lived the rest of my life to date in truly cosmopolitan cities Minneapolis-St. Paul and Chicago and visited cosmopolitan cities throughout Europe and Asia. With that as my point of reference I feel comfortable calling Madison a very nice place that isn't close to being cosmopolitan.

Agree. The Badger fan that made that statement either hasn't traveled much, or doesn't understand the meaning of "cosmopolitan" as it relates to cities. As I mentioned, In my work related travels I really enjoyed the city of Milwaukee.It has a great German heritage , excellent dining, and multiple social events going on.

Thanks for the list Rupert. Which of those things is your favorite thing to do in Minneapolis? Super bowl or nba finals? Or maybe one of the others?

Thanks for the list Rupert. Which of those things is your favorite thing to do in Minneapolis? Super bowl or nba finals? Or maybe one of the others?

General....I refer to the original topic title. The guy who made the statement about Madison being cosmopolitan is skewered in his thinking. It's a college football town plain and simple. You're baiting me here, but I attended both the 1987 and 1991 World Series at the dome. Point being, I have the opportunity to attend those events I listed because of the cosmopolitan cities of Minneapolis and St.Paul.

Why does it always feel like Rupert is giving us his resume'? You don't need to impress us, Rupert. Just being a Gopherholer makes you special enough.

I'm a bit ashamed I've read the whole damn thread. Rainy day--no Gopher games. My only excuse.

Quarterly riots on State Street?
image_zpspa97c6cm.jpg

Well said. I have spent a lot of time in madison as well and have a son at school there. I know, sad. Anyway, it is a nice small college town but not anywhere near cosmopolitan. We sometimes don't realize how nice it really is here in Minneapolis, St. Paul.

Top Bottom