Tony Poljan commits! Gophers land their 2016 QB!

If he does not pan out at QB, he would make a great TE or DE. Big kid.

I just got a call from Justin Conzemius, and he said to not get too excited about this kid because he's too tall to play QB.

#23rd ranked class on Rivals, #23 on Scout, #24 on 247.

I am not sure that we should be paying that much attention to class ranking at this time. That is because at this time it is often a measure of the number of recruits verbals a school has received. As a result a school's ranking can change dramatically as it adds more verbals. Having said that though, it is hard not to get excited about this class given the quality of the recruits.:clap:

First impressions...
Tony has very nice footwork for a tall QB, which is important in the option style the Gophers play. His 40 and speed out of his cuts are only average for the position. His straight-on, closing speed as a defender is good but he might be too tall for the quickness and leverage needed to play DE. His willingness to take on tacklers/blockers proves his toughness but could be problematic, injury-wise. And his throwing motion is a little short but he seems able to flick it a good distance and shows good adaptability in delivering the ball.
Overall, a tough, athletic 6'6" football player that projects as a likely 1st or 2nd QB, but could successfully switch to TE if the situation called for it. In other words, a typical Kill recruit.

Joe Flacco says "Say what, puny Justin?".

So does 6-8 Brock Osweiler. Rothlisberger, Peyton, Cam off the top of my head are all 6-5/6-6, Ryan Mallett and Terrelle Pryor are 6-6. Michigan has two 6-6/6-7 QBs in Gentry and Speight, both of which were highly recruited plus Tanner McEvoy, Shortell and Croft are all 6-6 although they either weren't that good or haven't played at the collegiate level yet. Maybe 6-9 is too tall for QB but Poljan has pretty typical size for a big guy.

So does 6-8 Brock Osweiler. Rothlisberger, Peyton, Cam off the top of my head are all 6-5/6-6, Ryan Mallett and Terrelle Pryor are 6-6. Michigan has two 6-6/6-7 QBs in Gentry and Speight, both of which were highly recruited plus Tanner McEvoy, Shortell and Croft are all 6-6 although they either weren't that good or haven't played at the collegiate level yet. Maybe 6-9 is too tall for QB but Poljan has pretty typical size for a big guy.

sarcasm?

Nor try for 4 turf skips on his passes.

Really don't get the Weber hate. He was always tough, did what was asked of him to the best of his abilities, took a **** ton of hits trying to make plays, and was a good representative of the university. It wasn't his fault the coaching around him was awful and never gave him any consistency to develop within.

Really don't get the Weber hate. He was always tough, did what was asked of him to the best of his abilities, took a **** ton of hits trying to make plays, and was a good representative of the university. It wasn't his fault the coaching around him was awful and never gave him any consistency to develop within.

All true. Also true that skipped lots of passes tho. I don't see why the post you quoted was out of line or classifies as hate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's not turn this into an Adam Weber pissing contest. This is about an exciting recruit, let's keep it on this topic.

All true. Also true that skipped lots of passes tho. I don't see why the post you quoted was out of line or classifies as hate?

Sorry wasn't trying to insinuate that you hate Weber. Just was using it as a logical point to converse on the subject. Thats all.

Let's not turn this into an Adam Weber pissing contest. This is about an exciting recruit, let's keep it on this topic.

And he has Adam Weber to mentor him!!! (We should all be able to be critical of players who had a pro career.)

And he has Adam Weber to mentor him!!! (We should all be able to be critical of players who had a pro career.)

What were his stats in the NFL again?

Watching that tape, not sure I've seen many QB's with that kind of toughness. From a true layman's point of view, I'm guessing his lack of BCS offers is due to his unorthodox throwing motion. Kind of slings it, but does have nice touch and gets air under the ball. Good runner for someone 6' 6"

Welcome aboard!

No worries. Isn't Jedd Fisch available?

Lansing State Journal: Tony Poljan finds opportunity as QB at Minnesota

Playing quarterback was the biggest factor for the 6-foot-7 Poljan, who was receiving interest from other major football programs as an athlete. He coveted that opportunity more than playing basketball in college.

“(Minnesota) just said we see you playing quarterback here and we think that you could majorly benefit our team at quarterback,” Poljan said. “At the end of the day, they can’t guarantee that I’m going to be a quarterback, but all that they can really give me is a chance to compete for the spot. That’s what I want.”

And now Poljan is looking forward to being a part of a Minnesota program that’s had back-to-back seasons with eight wins and reached three straight bowl games under Kill.

“I know Minnesota is on the up and up,” Poljan said. “Coach Kill and his whole coaching staff are really great people and I can see how they turned the program around. I want to be a part of that.”

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/...s-opportunity-quarterback-minnesota/27802661/

Go Gophers!!

If they put him on defense, he could be the next Mad Stork. This kid hits. He looks to me like a very good prospect who works so hard he will get better and better

If they put him on defense, he could be the next Mad Stork. This kid hits. He looks to me like a very good prospect who works so hard he will get better and better

Give him #15 and let him play both ways.:rolleyes:

Are you a middle schooler?

Nope. Someone made a snarky comment that we shouldn't rip on AW8 because he was an NFL QB. For some reason I thought the fact he never actually took a snap in the NFL was relevant to that conversation. I knew the delusional Webber fans would come after me, but I was brave and posted it anyway - not sure a middle schooler would have been so brave.

Nope. Someone made a snarky comment that we shouldn't rip on AW8 because he was an NFL QB. For some reason I thought the fact he never actually took a snap in the NFL was relevant to that conversation. I knew the delusional Webber fans would come after me, but I was brave and posted it anyway - not sure a middle schooler would have been so brave. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I don't fully disagree with your point, it is possible to make your point without being inflammatory and snarky. We can probably pump the breaks on making Weber out to have been Joe Montana, but we can also probably agree that he was pretty damn good in spite of playing for a different coordinator every other week on Brewster's rudderless ship.

Weber was mid to lower tier compared to the rest of the Big Ten, regardless of how many OC's he had. He was what he was. Poljan likely ends up at another position, perhaps DE.

Top Bottom