Newsweek article on Gophers legend: Bud Grant: The Meanest Nicest Man in NFL History

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Newsweek:

Frugal? On game days Grant would have an assistant round up the leftovers of the steak-and-eggs breakfasts the Vikings were served so that he could bring the meat home to his dogs. Grant spent Sunday afternoons matching wits against Vince Lombardi, George Halas, Tom Landry and Don Shula, but he always returned to the rambler on Oakmere Road with a doggie bag.

Grant was equally frugal with verbiage. Dave Osborn, a hard-nosed but athletically limited running back, once asked Grant, who had led the CFL in receiving three of his four seasons, how to improve as a pass-catcher. “Concentrate,” replied Grant, who then walked away.

Hall of Fame quarterback Fran Tarkenton once walked into Grant’s office and confided that he was having trouble getting his dog to behave. Grant looked up just long enough to say, “Shoot the dog.”

“Once, during a game, I got into a heated argument with one of our assistant coaches,” says Marshall, who still lives in Minneapolis and maintains a close relationship with Grant. “I walked up to Bud on the sideline and started pleading my case. He just looked down...and spit on my shoe. That was the end of it.”

Grant grins knowingly at the memory, then says, “I didn’t have time to argue.”

http://www.newsweek.com/bud-grant-meanest-nicest-man-nfl-history-333853

Go Gophers!!

Great article about a man who did it his way. I couldn't help but wonder how he would have handled some of the whiners here.:rolleyes:

Great article about a man who did it his way. I couldn't help but wonder how he would have handled some of the whiners here.:rolleyes:

"Shoot the dog".

Fun article. I also looked at the reader's comments and saw that one guy wrote that Bud "paced the sidelines." I thought that he pretty much stood in one spot for the whole game.

The meanest, fiercest, NFL player who I had the pleasure to meet and when I met him could not have been a nicer guy was Ray Nitschke.

The meanest, fiercest, NFL player who I had the pleasure to meet and when I met him could not have been a nicer guy was Ray Nitschke.

Second that - met Ray while doing a live remote at a car dealership - either in Baraboo or Platteville, WI - can't remember which. Dude had huge hands - I remember staring at the size of his Super bowl rings.

Top Bottom