ESPN: Close won't cut it for motivated Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

The difference between champions and contenders can be small, and one thing that usually sets apart the former from the latter is consistent effort from week to week and for entire games, regardless of the opponent. And, once more, Minnesota hardly needs a reminder of that after an October loss at Illinois nearly cost the Gophers any chance of playing for the Big Ten West crown.

“Coach Kill is preaching a lot about playing 60-minute football, and I think it has a lot to do with those few plays,” Campbell said. “‘Sixty minutes of football’ was kind of our motto this spring going forward because we were a few plays away in each game that could have made our season completely different.

“He’s always pushing us. Everybody, all of our coaching staff is really pushing us and trying to keep it on our minds that we need to play 60 minutes of football because if we do there is really no limit to what we can accomplish as a team. We do have a really good team, and I feel like we don’t get enough credit because of Minnesota’s recent history of not having those good teams. But I honestly feel like we can compete with anybody if given the opportunity.”

There’s another big one waiting for the Gophers when September rolls around. The next step for the program is erasing its missed chances and any reason to try to find silver linings along with it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/119316/close-wont-cut-it-for-motivated-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

He's right. You need to play inspired football for the full 60 minutes. Several big plays last season come to mind as turning points in the game and season....Cobb's fumble at Illinois when the Gophers were ahead near the end of the game; the fake punt run by Missouri in the bowl game; several long runs by the OSU QB when we had good pass coverage, etc.

Definitely true. It also is kind of a reflection of our team in that we're thisclose to being really good but need to minimize mistakes. We don't currently have the talent (at least proven) to make the big plays that cover those mistakes

Top Bottom