Minnesota Baseball scholarship question

minibeaver

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been posted somewhere. So, in the state I live in there are two big D1 Colleges that have pretty succesful sports teams; very succesful in football. On the local news tonight they had a report about the fact that these two school's baseball teams do not offer full ride scholarships. This blew me away.

So my question is does Minnesota offer full ride scholly's for baseball, and do you know how other B1G schools do it?

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere. So, in the state I live in there are two big D1 Colleges that have pretty succesful sports teams; very succesful in football. On the local news tonight they had a report about the fact that these two school's baseball teams do not offer full ride scholarships. This blew me away. So my question is does Minnesota offer full ride scholly's for baseball, and do you know how other B1G schools do it?

The NCAA limits each Division one team to 11.7 scholarships. It is then up to the schools to divide them how they want between the players. So most players don't get full rides.

The NCAA limits each Division one team to 11.7 scholarships. It is then up to the schools to divide them how they want between the players. So most players don't get full rides.

Some schools are getting around this and are basically "full scholarship" programs. Vanderbilt University being one of them. I got into it with a Vandy fan at the 'd1baseball' site that seems pretty connected to the Commodore program. The guy regularly bashes the B1G so I finally called him on a couple of things. One topic I brought up with him was scholarships.

Over the last few years, I had noticed that Vandy (The defending National Champion and recent perennial power.) was getting a lot of players from other states, several from the northeast. I decided to ask him how these players are paying for the annual tuition of approximately $64,000 which isn't exactly chump change to say the least. The guy likes to dish it but if you call him on stuff he gets a little testy. However, to his credit, he did thoroughly answer the question on this particular topic. He is "Dan Ryan" and I am "Scott". Here is what was said:

http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/weekend-madness-thursday-may-14/

Does anyone know if any B1G programs have something similar? HUGE advantage regarding access to players from all over the country for programs that are doing this. Between the weather (home/road game disparity; travel costs), NCAA bids doled out, Regional hosts awarded, and things like this scholarship "end around", the playing field is far from level for college baseball. At least things have improved a little bit though with the increased weight given to road wins.

Thanks for the info guys. Man that Vandy guy seemed kinda ******y. Dude, your Vanderbilt, give it a rest. So in the report I watched they also mentioned the 11.7 scholarship limit. However, if I understood correctly, they mentioned LSU, Florida, and I believe Georgia as a few of of the schools that have work arounds for this. They also mentioned that for some states, they lottery is used to fund these scholly's. In my state-Alabama- there is no lottery.

Some schools are getting around this and are basically "full scholarship" programs. Vanderbilt University being one of them. I got into it with a Vandy fan at the 'd1baseball' site that seems pretty connected to the Commodore program. The guy regularly bashes the B1G so I finally called him on a couple of things. One topic I brought up with him was scholarships.

Over the last few years, I had noticed that Vandy (The defending National Champion and recent perennial power.) was getting a lot of players from other states, several from the northeast. I decided to ask him how these players are paying for the annual tuition of approximately $64,000 which isn't exactly chump change to say the least. The guy likes to dish it but if you call him on stuff he gets a little testy. However, to his credit, he did thoroughly answer the question on this particular topic. He is "Dan Ryan" and I am "Scott". Here is what was said:

Does anyone know if any B1G programs have something similar? HUGE advantage regarding access to players from all over the country for programs that are doing this. Between the weather (home/road game disparity; travel costs), NCAA bids doled out, Regional hosts awarded, and things like this scholarship "end around", the playing field is far from level for college baseball. At least things have improved a little bit though with the increased weight given to road wins.
I believe that is fairly common practice in SEC country but I don't think any B1G teams use it. I have seen some stuff like this before on Twitter from Chris Webb who runs b1gbaseball.com and he has always talked about how big of disadvantage the B1G teams have compared to SEC because of things like this.

About 6-7 years ago they put in the rule that you can only spread the scholarship money among 27 of your 35 players as well but I think that number has been moved up to 30 players now..

About 6-7 years ago they put in the rule that you can only spread the scholarship money among 27 of your 35 players as well but I think that number has been moved up to 30 players now..

My understanding is 28 players MUST be on scholarship rather than up to 27 players on scholarship. I could be completely wrong though but I remember Rick Heller (Iowa) talking about this subject at length after his hiring.

My understanding is 28 players MUST be on scholarship rather than up to 27 players on scholarship. I could be completely wrong though but I remember Rick Heller (Iowa) talking about this subject at length after his hiring.
I'm not sure on that I just remember hearing there is a certain number that can't receive scholarship money from the 11.7 scholarships. Here is an old article from 2007 about D1 baseball scholarships http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2895944
Not sure if anything has changed since the article but in the article it mentions starting in 2009-2010 only 27 players can receive scholarship money and each of those must receive at least 1/3 of a full scholarship.

I'm not sure on that I just remember hearing there is a certain number that can't receive scholarship money from the 11.7 scholarships. Here is an old article from 2007 about D1 baseball scholarships http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=2895944
Not sure if anything has changed since the article but in the article it mentions starting in 2009-2010 only 27 players can receive scholarship money and each of those must receive at least 1/3 of a full scholarship.

Interesting article on the 11.7 scholarship limit and how some teams are getting around it:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/stretching-scholarship-dollars-key-college-success/

It isn't a coincidence that Vanderbilt is probably the premier program in the country right now. Virginia is not too far behind. Look at Illinois' roster or the Gophers for that matter and compare it to Vandy's. IL and MN are forced to recruit locally whereas Vanderbilt is basically a national all star team.

Vanderbilt's batting order and starting pitcher versus Illinois in Game 1 of their Super Regional matchup:

Coleman (IL)
Wiseman (MA)
Swanson (GA)
Wiel (TN)
Toffey (MA)
Reynolds (TN)
Kendall (WI)
Ellison (FL)
Campbell (OR)

Fulmer (FL)

Illinois':

Walton (IL)
Nagle (IL)
Roper, Reid (IL)
Goldstein (IL)
Fletcher (IL)
McInerney (IL)

Kerian (SD)
Krug (IL)
Roper, Ryne (IL)

Duchene (IL)

Virginia's batting order and starting pitcher in Game 1 of the CWS championship series:

Haseley (FL)
Pinero (CAN)
Thaiss (NJ)
Towns (VA)
Smith (FL)
Coman (FL)
McCarthy (PA)
Doherty (MD)
Clement (NY)

Jones (VA)

I wonder how the roster of the Gophers would look if they were in a similarly advantageous position...

Scholarship Breakdown

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere. So, in the state I live in there are two big D1 Colleges that have pretty succesful sports teams; very succesful in football. On the local news tonight they had a report about the fact that these two school's baseball teams do not offer full ride scholarships. This blew me away.

So my question is does Minnesota offer full ride scholly's for baseball, and do you know how other B1G schools do it?

So just having had a kid go through this the actual breakdown for baseball is:
11.7 scholarships (if fully funded) schools can lose parts/full scholarships for NCAA violations
27 of 35 man roster can be on scholarship
of the 27 minimum that can be given is 25%
In addition, D1 athletes are eligible for unlimited food paid for by the university...(this was passed in 2014)

My brother played a round of golf with Coach Anderson, and Coach said this is the exact problem the Big Ten is contending with right now. Some states have programs where you can get your first 2 years for free. So the baseball teams don't have to offer any of those kids scholarships. They can keep all for the upper classmen who still are around. That's why a lot of those schools would have 90 kids show up for tryouts and they'd just keep the best ones. I believe that practice is now against the rules, but it definitely is a problem for the Northern Schools. I wonder if football requires scholarships no matter what, or why it isn't an issue there.

Top Bottom