The Gazette: Are ‘trophy runs' an endangered species in the Big Ten?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Gazette:

Despite the fact that the cause for shift in the Axe celebration happened on his turf, Teague is fine with trophies remaining on the sideline. The 2013 incident is in the past.

“You want your kids to do it the right way and you just hope they will,” Teague said. “My first year at Iowa when we lost the pig (2012), I was standing next to the pig and not paying attention. All of the sudden, the whole Iowa team starts running at me and I literally ran to get out of their way. I’ll never forget that.”

So, will the Paul Bunyan Axe return to the sideline in 2015? Paul Chryst begins his first season as Wisconsin’s head coach. He’s a Madison native, a three-time Badgers letterwinner and served as an assistant coach for eight seasons at Wisconsin.

“I think Paul is a traditionalist,” Alvarez said. “I think he and Jerry should discuss that or Norwood and myself. The four of us could sit down and talk about it and decide how we want to do it.

“I do know one thing, the last couple of years I don’t think it’s been explained well enough to all of the kids, so it’s been very close to having an altercation. I think we have to be proactive, so that we don’t. The winning team celebrates, the other team lets them do their thing and exits the field.”

That seems reasonable. And, frankly, the time to have your say in which team gets to make the run is during the game, not in the aftermath.

http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/are-trophy-runs-an-endangered-species-in-the-big-ten-20150520

Go Gophers!!

Put it back on the sidelines, establish a couple rules. Example would be if that if your allowed to chop both goal posts you better get your team out of the way.

2011: Wisconsin was to blame (ran straight through Gophers lined up singing Hail Minnesota)
2013: Gophers were to blame (Wisconsin waited for Hail Minnesota, once song was over, Gophers blocked post to add fuel to the fire. I suppose Wisconsin could have ignored that side of the field though if they really wanted to)

I like it being on the field, but do agree that some type of protocol should be in place & the players aware.

Here's hoping this year we are the ones celebrating with the Axe, not whining about the other team being mean as a defense mechanism to avoid having to confront the fact that we once again extended an unacceptably long losing streak to a conference rival.

2011: Wisconsin was to blame (ran straight through Gophers lined up singing Hail Minnesota)
2013: Gophers were to blame (Wisconsin waited for Hail Minnesota, once song was over, Gophers blocked post to add fuel to the fire. I suppose Wisconsin could have ignored that side of the field though if they really wanted to)

I like it being on the field, but do agree that some type of protocol should be in place & the players aware.

This.

If the winning team is the visitor, I don't think they should take over both endzones/goalposts. Let the home team maintain their endzone.

If the home team wins.....it's their field.

Get the word out to the players. The after game brouhahas need to go away.

Personally I wouldn't mind if they occasionally used the axe to behead a player or coach responsible for losing the game. I think it would add some incentive to do your best which I think we can all agree is a good thing.

I'd argue that we are to blame for both occurrences. The tradition is cutting down the goalposts and if we had an issue with them doing it, we should have played better and won the game.

Well, if I have learned anything from reading GH it is that your actions/reactions don't matter nearly as much as who started it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thought that someone on GH would side with the Badgers over the Gophers just made me throw up my Cheerios. Both incidents were 100% Bucky's fault. End of discussion.

The thought that someone on GH would side with the Badgers over the Gophers just made me throw up my Cheerios. Both incidents were 100% Bucky's fault. End of discussion.
Blame on both sides, but Gophs were in the wrong to "protecting" the posts on the second incident, if they don't like having their posts chopped they should've won the game.

It's good two adults are talking about this rather than these two clowns:

Personally I wouldn't mind if they occasionally used the axe to behead a player or coach responsible for losing the game. I think it would add some incentive to do your best which I think we can all agree is a good thing.

Fully agree. Plus a great way to eliminate long term concussion effects.

Blame on both sides, but Gophs were in the wrong to "protecting" the posts on the second incident, if they don't like having their posts chopped they should've won the game.

I'd ask what happened the last time the Gophers won it in Wisconsin, but most the current players weren't born yet (1994 - wow, that stings!). Heck, is there even video? I don't believe the game was televised (at least not according to Wikipedia, which is NEVER wrong)...

I believe the tradition always was the winning team chopped down both goal posts regardless of whose field it was. The 2011 was classless because the team was doing the alma mater and Wisconsin interrupted that. In 2013 the Gophers should have just left the field. It was nice seeing them have some pride, but on the same sense, it was pointless. And should the Gophers win in Madison, I would like to see them celebrate by chopping both down. And the Bucky statue. And the key structural supports holding up the stadium. And...

“You want your kids to do it the right way and you just hope they will,” Teague said. “My first year at Iowa when we lost the pig (2012), I was standing next to the pig and not paying attention. All of the sudden, the whole Iowa team starts running at me and I literally ran to get out of their way. I’ll never forget that.”

What did he think was going to happen at the end of the game?

Top Bottom