NFL Extra Points

CWCWCW

Reaction score
So I see the NFL is mixing it up by adding yards for a single point touchdown conversion. I heard the projected success rate is now 91% That compares to 99% using the previous method from the 2 yard line.
Should the NCAA follow suit? I would think think the 91% rate would not be attainable. Just a guess as I've not crunched the numbers, but I could see a 70% success rate.
All of this would mean a bigger impact to the college game than the NFL so for now, thumbs down for me.

I'm already nervous enough when we line up for PATs (less so in the last couple of years), so I vote no. Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I see the NFL is mixing it up by adding yards for a single point touchdown conversion. I heard the projected success rate is now 91% That compares to 99% using the previous method from the 2 yard line.
Should the NCAA follow suit? I would think think the 91% rate would not be attainable. Just a guess as I've not crunched the numbers, but I could see a 70% success rate.
All of this would mean a bigger impact to the college game than the NFL so for now, thumbs down for me.

The problem with your analysis is that there is no analysis. The first step would be to use actual data and then see what the results are. If then your objective is to have a 91% success rate you would calculate, using historical data, the estimated yard line that would yield this result. But the real question that we should be discussing first is whether the NCAA should make the one point conversion more difficult.

It's not necessary to move the extra point back in college. It's not a guarantee like it is in the NFL essentially.

Moving it back in college would make going for 2 every time the better play.

I hate the change in the NFL so I am against college doing this as well. Imagine your team is down 7 late and they drive down to score a TD, then lose because of a missed extra point.

There's no reason for college to do this just because the NFL does it. Plus, rule changes don't tend to be just for D-I. Unless they specifically made this rule apply only to D-I, it would apply to D-II and D-III, where they have less talented kickers than D-I has. The NFL, of course, has the elite kickers, which is why the NFL has over the years implemented rules to hold back the kicking game.

I hate the change in the NFL so I am against college doing this as well. Imagine your team is down 7 late and they drive down to score a TD, then lose because of a missed extra point.

Agreed. That would be a really awful way to end a game.

I would like to see the goal posts in the NFL become narrower. If you don't hit it right down the middle its no good. They are currently 18 feet 6 inches. Maybe 15 feet would make it tougher.

So why not just get rid of the extra point entirely, then? A chip shot with a 99% success rate is by far the least exciting play in all of professional sports.

By reducing the odds of successfully executing an extra point, the NFL is adding at least a tiny bit of intrigue into the play.

So why not just get rid of the extra point entirely, then? A chip shot with a 99% success rate is by far the least exciting play in all of professional sports.

By reducing the odds of successfully executing an extra point, the NFL is adding at least a tiny bit of intrigue into the play.

I would rather they get rid of it than to back it up any further.

I think an interesting aspect of this rule is the potential for defenses to get 2 points on a block/return. There may be some scenarios late in games where coaches won't want to risk it, and will line up like they're going for two and just take a knee. Doesn't really affect the game, but it could affect fantasy football and point spread outcomes.

I would like to see the goal posts in the NFL become narrower. If you don't hit it right down the middle its no good. They are currently 18 feet 6 inches. Maybe 15 feet would make it tougher.

Maybe add a post in the middle? Rotating goal posts?

I think this is a better idea than what will be implemented.

The current implementation doesn't change the outcome of 50+ yard field goals which also needs to be addressed. I think narrowing the goal posts significantly would be a better solution.

I would rather they get rid of it than to back it up any further.

I agree. I don't want the kicker gaining importance, and I don't want the ability or inability of each team's kicker to be the major factor in which team wins the game.

I'm already nervous enough when we line up for PATs (less so in the last couple of years), so I vote no. Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know! In the last 5 years our kickers have missed 9 kicks, only made 95%, and have 2 kickers (Ellestad and Santoso) who have each only missed 1 each. Disaster!

The one thing about narrowing the goal posts, maybe some engineering genius can design the bar to be adjustable. 15 feet for field goal and 18' 6" for field goals over 30 yards.

One thing the NFL is doing, is enticing teams to go for 2, and by moving it back and you had better have great blockers in that line. You know by moving it back it isn't a snap and gimmy. The defense will practice blocks, and tip drills. One thing that hasn't been addressed is a blocked field goal being returned for 2 and is stripped or fumbled can it be brought back for two.

Top Bottom