• Kirk Ferentz

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Tim Beckman

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • Mike Riley

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beckman may not even make it to the season if there is anything to the recent allegations on coercing kids to play hurt.

I'm sorry, but the only way he's fired is wins and losses. Those allegations are about the same as AJ's mom's best friend's allegations here. Now, if they're already leaning that way and if that somehow got them out of paying his buyout, then, they may use that as an excuse. But one player who has already changed one of the claims of abuse from his story will not result in the coach being canned.

I'm sorry, but the only way he's fired is wins and losses. Those allegations are about the same as AJ's mom's best friend's allegations here. Now, if they're already leaning that way and if that somehow got them out of paying his buyout, then, they may use that as an excuse. But one player who has already changed one of the claims of abuse from his story will not result in the coach being canned.

I agree. Not just like Barker but former Iowa receiver Derell Johnson Koulianos had a similar episode. I wouldn't give them the time of day.

The coaches situations as I see them.

Redhot
Beckman

He needs six wins. I don't see six wins. Not even five unless some kind of miracle occurs.

Hotseat

Wilson
Flood

I think Flood did enough last year to secure this year unless Slutgers goes 2-10 or something similar. Indiana doesn't have a cake schedule but if they are improved they are bowling and that is really all you can ask of Wilson. A miracle and they have a 10 win season.

Warm
Edsal
Ferentz
Hazel

Maryland has cross overs with Iowa and Wisconsin which doesn't bode well for success this season, but Edsal is recruiting well. Ferentz has an airtight contract so unless someone want to pony up the dough he will live to coach another day. Hazel is in year three and if Indiana is giving Wilson five years then Hazel gets at least four.

Comfortable
Fitz

He's an alum and there have been some extenuating circumstances so he has hardly worn out his welcome in Evanston.

Chillin'

Franklin

Year one wasn't a glorious return to the top nor was it without turmoil but it's year two.

Noobs
Christ Crisp, wa?
Riley

Who cares?

Mt Rushmore
Dantonio
Kill
Meyer
Harbaugh

These coaches are untouchable. You will kneel before them.

This. It's a very similar arc to what Kill has done here. I think Illinois finishes in the top 4 in the west ahead of Iowa this year. They have a good QB, top RB, top two receivers and 7-8 starters on D returning.

Their top receiver blew out his knee in spring practice.

Noobs
Christ Crisp, wa?
Riley

Who cares?

Mt Rushmore
Dantonio
Kill
Meyer
Harbaugh

Oh, I don't know, I think the Gopherhole servers might explode or melt down if Chryst was fired next year. I mean, first off it would almost certainly mean we won the axe. Secondly, it would mean the BADgers went 1-11 or 0-12 (assuming he wasn't fired for off the field stuff). I can say I for one would celebrate if he was fired!

That said, I think your list is fairly accurate. I know some IL fans want Beckman out, but he has improved every year. If he doesn't improve and goes 5-7 again this year, is that enough to can him? I'm just not sure there's enough desire to win there to buy out the contract. Less than 5 wins, probably out. I think Wilson is in more danger. There were higher expectations, and if they don't make a bowl game (which isn't that unlikely), I think he's gone for sure. Also, I'm not sure I wouldn't switch Edsal and Fitz. I think Edsal did enough last year to be pretty secure (4-4 in conference the first year of B1G play? Pretty solid in my opinion). Fitz is loved and NW also doesn't have the expectations but they've had a couple pretty shaky years, and at some point they may have to make a change. Also think I'd bump Flood down to Warm. Say what you will (Glen Mason non-conf scheduling), but he's been there 3 years and they've won 9, 6 and 8 games those years. If he has another 7ish win season, I don't see how they can him. He'd have to have a complete meltdown.

The coaches situations as I see them.

Redhot
Beckman

He needs six wins. I don't see six wins. Not even five unless some kind of miracle occurs.

Hotseat

Wilson
Flood

I think Flood did enough last year to secure this year unless Slutgers goes 2-10 or something similar. Indiana doesn't have a cake schedule but if they are improved they are bowling and that is really all you can ask of Wilson. A miracle and they have a 10 win season.

Warm
Edsal
Ferentz
Hazel

Maryland has cross overs with Iowa and Wisconsin which doesn't bode well for success this season, but Edsal is recruiting well. Ferentz has an airtight contract so unless someone want to pony up the dough he will live to coach another day. Hazel is in year three and if Indiana is giving Wilson five years then Hazel gets at least four.

Comfortable
Fitz

He's an alum and there have been some extenuating circumstances so he has hardly worn out his welcome in Evanston.

Chillin'

Franklin

Year one wasn't a glorious return to the top nor was it without turmoil but it's year two.

Noobs
Christ Crisp, wa?
Riley

Who cares?

Mt Rushmore
Dantonio
Kill
Meyer
Harbaugh

Your list is good the only person I would move is Kill. 2 - 8 win seasons does not put a coach in the untouchable category. I would put him in with Franklin as his seat is very cold right now but he is far from untouchable.

I wonder how much Beckman suffers from fans comparisons to what Coach Kill has done here? I would tend to think the rope might be a little shorter than it might otherwise have been.

I wonder how much Beckman suffers from fans comparisons to what Coach Kill has done here? I would tend to think the rope might be a little shorter than it might otherwise have been.

Beckman is a jerk, but the Illinois need 0 coaching changes for a while
Constant turnover is a dosaster.

My Lord, Gary Barnett took Northwestern to the Rosebowl, and they were really awful when he took over. Gary Barnett kept Colorado rolling after the promise keeper guy Bill McCartney left, and probably was most responsible of Nebraska firing Frank Solich, since Barnett's teams just destroyed Nebraska a few times. correction- I may be thinking of the NFL guy Bill Callahan, because Colorado was very tough under Barnett, and have been Wacker/ Brewster awful since they fired him.

Please explain why Gary Barnett is an A-hole, and please do not bring up that stupid trumped up female walk on kicker story. That was all BS. Barnett does some commentary on FOX and I think he comes across as a realistic, OK guy. I think most of his players liked playing for him. He is about Mason's age, so that did not help, but someone should have hired him, but maybe he is not interested.

Then again someone should have hired Bill Snyder away from KSU when he was 65 and he probably would have won multiple NC titles.

Barnett has plenty of baggage, all easily acessed with the help of Google.

Harbaugh may be the first to leave, but Michigan isn't going to fire him unless he rapes someone (which I don't think he does). Michigan is too proud of themselves with this hire.

Please don't make light of rape.

Michigan doesn't punish rape committed by their FB players. Google the story about their kicker, Taylor Lewan, and the victim.

Please don't make light of rape.

Michigan doesn't punish rape committed by their FB players. Google the story about their kicker, Taylor Lewan, and the victim.

Sorry - I didn't mean to make light of rape (I probably should have used a different example). Trust me I know all about the Taylor Lewan story. The fact that he has the pleasure of being a millionaire in NFL right now is disgusting.

A number of people give Beckman flack on here, but Illinois has improved by 2 games each year he has been there. Last year's recruiting class was solid as well.

I think Kevin Wilson is out if he doesn't make a bowl game.

Agree with this. While Beckman is somewhat of a blow hard, I think Wilson gets canned this year.

Your list is good the only person I would move is Kill. 2 - 8 win seasons does not put a coach in the untouchable category. I would put him in with Franklin as his seat is very cold right now but he is far from untouchable.

:confused:What the hell are you smoking? Luckily, you don't get a vote but Erik Kaler does and his vote is by far the most important one. It isn't the two 8 win seasons that makes him untouchable. It is how he went about turning this program around after years of futility. This includes the significant improvement in academics and how his players conduct themselves. I don't know if these things are important to you but they are VERY important to Erik Kaler. I would have to say Kill is about as safe as any coach in the Big Ten right now. Kaler is smart enough to know that firing Kill would make it very hard to fill the position. There is a reason he why Kaler extended Kill's contract to seven years. The only thing Kill has to worry about is his health.

:confused:What the hell are you smoking? Luckily, you don't get a vote but Erik Kaler does and his vote is by far the most important one. It isn't the two 8 win seasons that makes him untouchable. It is how he went about turning this program around after years of futility. This includes the significant improvement in academics and how his players conduct themselves. I don't know if these things are important to you but they are VERY important to Erik Kaler. I would have to say Kill is about as safe as any coach in the Big Ten right now. Kaler is smart enough to know that firing Kill would make it very hard to fill the position. There is a reason he why Kaler extended Kill's contract to seven years. The only thing Kill has to worry about is his health.

I don't disagree with what he said. Kill is on a very cold seat, but definitely isn't untouchable.

I use a two win season as a barometer. In my mind, the only coaches in the B1G that could have a two win season and survive it are Kill and Meyer (newly-hired coaches are obviously excluded). Both would surely get some serious flak, but I think both would be safe for an additional year (unless, of course, GW were judge, jury, and executioner).

To me, untouchable would mean that even after a two win season, the coach would have the support of the vast majority of the fanbase.

I don't disagree with what he said. Kill is on a very cold seat, but definitely isn't untouchable.

I use a two win season as a barometer. In my mind, the only coaches in the B1G that could have a two win season and survive it are Kill and Meyer (newly-hired coaches are obviously excluded). Both would surely get some serious flak, but I think both would be safe for an additional year (unless, of course, GW were judge, jury, and executioner).

To me, untouchable would mean that even after a two win season, the coach would have the support of the vast majority of the fanbase.

Given your explanation, I don't have any problem with with your statement.

Illinois was a disaster last year and will continue to be this year. Their defense has been ranked in the 100s nationally for 3 straight years. Anyone that thinks they have a chance at a winning season this year hasn't actually seen them play since the Zooker era.

Illinois was a disaster last year and will continue to be this year. Their defense has been ranked in the 100s nationally for 3 straight years. Anyone that thinks they have a chance at a winning season this year hasn't actually seen them play since the Zooker era.

They were 6-6 last year. I know Beckman is a weird dude and has some baggage, but they have improved their record in each of his 3 seasons.

Illinois was a bit better last year than what the gophers were in 2012 IMO. Was that team a "disaster" too?

They beat Youngstown State, Western Kentucky, Texas State, Northwestern, Penn State, and Minnesota. There is exactly one team with a pulse among that group. They got smoked in a 9th tier bowl game by Louisiana Tech. They had the worst total, scoring, and rush D in the B1G, and finished ranked in the 110s nationally in all of those categories. They lost (at home) to a horrible Purdue team, and got absolutely destroyed by very average Iowa and Washington teams.

They were AWFUL.

41.35% of the voting community was correct.

If I had to guess the first coach fired in 2015 would be Beckman.

Go Gophers

I watched the Beckman interview from the Big Ten media day in Chicago and again was amazed that any Big Ten AD would hire this guy to be the face of the program. He was way worse than Tim Brewster, and painful to listen to. The AD needs to be fired soon.

The only thing that made the team better the last year or so was probably the addition of Bill Cubit to the staff to run the Offense and bring some stability to things. Cubit could possibly save the season since he is motivated, knows how to coach offense, and now has the meddling idiot gone.

If Cubit has any talent to work with and lets a competent D coaching staff work (if they are any good), Illinois might rise from the dead. Cubit does now how to create offense, and the players may have hated Beckman and will rally around Beckman, but the talent is most likely lacking.

Lol...hmmmm I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Beckman

Top Bottom