Northwestern AD on 1-and-done rule: Shame on us...we've allowed NBA to dictate rules

Or saying it in another way....Don't let the NBA turn college BB into a semi-pro league. Let them run and pay for their own minor leagues.

The arrogance of 'some' professional sports leagues is appalling.

Could the NCAA turn these "students" into employees and sign them to 4 year contracts with a bonus at the end? If the kid leaves early they lose the bonus? That would be absolutely impossible to determine who gets what bonus I guess... And the benefit of leaving early as a first rounder would be a guaranteed contract anyway.

Sigh...

It's complicated.

I like it the way it is. I'd much rather have what we have now than turn college football and basketball into college baseball.

While I struggle with the one-and-dones, I agree that there is no way to enforce staying. If a student wants to leave school, they can.

The approach I saw referenced here is the only one that may have an impact and that is enforcing scholarships for a set amount of time; I would say 3 years. If a student leaves after 1 year, the scholarship still counts. While this likely won't stop anyone leaving; schools would have to decide if it is worth it. I would also add that if a student does stay for 2 years, then the scholarship would be released.

Ultimately, I'm just thinking out loud. The NBA can do what it wants, but I struggle with how schools can address it.

Things like this are why I wonder how much eliminating the elite players in NCAAB really helps the schools financially. LSU is basing their entire season ticket campaign around a kid who hasn't played a game.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticl...166&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210098591&DB_OEM_ID=5200

BATON ROUGE – The LSU Athletics Department announced Wednesday the beginning of its new season ticket summer sales campaign for the upcoming 2015-16 men’s basketball season.

This year’s campaign will focus on the arrival of the nation’s No. 1 recruit, Ben Simmons, and his chosen jersey number “25.”

So we want to change the entire structure because 10-20 kids a year leave early? Compared to the total number of players, that is an extremely small percentage of kids leaving early.

And nothing is preventing kids from going pro out of high school. It is called over seas leagues. These kids would get paid a ton of money over there.

I say leave everything the way it is. With regards to the NBA, they are their own entity. Let them handle their own rules

Top Bottom