STrib: Teague says U plans to break ground on athletics village in mid-August

They're building ahead of schedule, way before anyone thought we'd be breaking ground on a 150 million dollar project. Lumping the majority of the Athletic Department's needs into one massive project was extremely bold and took a lot of guts and vision. It also took a lot of criticism from people who thought it was ludicrous to expect that scope of a project to happen after we've struggled for years to get any facility updates.

Even better: Why not admit defeat and make some real progress. Push for projects related to football and basketball - get them done for an amount that is reasonable, but aggressive. Get them done with funds from ALL your sources, not this "$190M of private funds" nonsense.

Make things happen.

The amount of money that has been raised, the vision of the project, all within the current accelerated timeline has been incredible in my opinion. Kudos to Teague. I'm extremely excited to watch this thing be built.

They're building ahead of schedule, way before anyone thought we'd be breaking ground on a 150 million dollar project. Lumping the majority of the Athletic Department's needs into one massive project was extremely bold and took a lot of guts and vision. It also took a lot of criticism from people who thought it was ludicrous to expect that scope of a project to happen after we've struggled for years to get any facility updates.

The amount of money that has been raised, the vision of the project, all within the current accelerated timeline has been incredible in my opinion. Kudos to Teague. I'm extremely excited to watch this thing be built.

yup

Exactly! Thanks for quoting me. IF* things get done and the school completely flips on their "entirely funded by private donations" claim, they will have done exactly what I recommended. LATER than they should have, but still pretty good from a timing perspective compared to how long this COULD go.

Nonetheless, it's a flip flop and as I've said before I understand how that may rub some people the wrong way. It's unfortunate they need to keep changing what they've said in the past to make it work, but we knew that would be the case from day 1.

...but, I don't know what will really be said in a few weeks. Waiting.

So what you are trying to say, is you don't understand how large projects like this work. Got it.

Let me help you. This project is ahead of schedule. Costs were reduced due to great planning. And no public money is used. A giant win for everyone involved, except those who don't like the leadership at the U.

Exactly! Thanks for quoting me. IF* things get done and the school completely flips on their "entirely funded by private donations" claim, they will have done exactly what I recommended. LATER than they should have, but still pretty good from a timing perspective compared to how long this COULD go.

Nonetheless, it's a flip flop and as I've said before I understand how that may rub some people the wrong way. It's unfortunate they need to keep changing what they've said in the past to make it work, but we knew that would be the case from day 1.

...but, I don't know what will really be said in a few weeks. Waiting.

We'll be sure that you get the much deserved credit when this project is all done and built. NOT.

So what you are trying to say, is you don't understand how large projects like this work. Got it.

Let me help you. This project is ahead of schedule. Costs were reduced due to great planning. And no public money is used. A giant win for everyone involved, except those who don't like the leadership at the U.

What costs were reduced and what was the great planning? (Hint: You're lying) The truth is the $190MM price tag has stayed the same (so far), but the project's scope has DECREASED in size.

Will the project be funded entirely by private donations? (Hint: Not likely)

Many large projects don't flip flop and change to this degree. Where they do run into problems is cost overruns... we'll see how that goes.

What costs were reduced and what was the great planning? (Hint: You're lying) The truth is the $190MM price tag has stayed the same (so far), but the project's scope has DECREASED in size.

Many large projects don't flip flop and change to this degree. Where they do run into problems is cost overruns... we'll see how that goes.

Things are often not what they seem if you accept only what you're told.

Consider what may actually be at play here and different ways of handling it. See if you don't conclude this path may be the best available.

Things are often not what they seem if you accept only what you're told.

Consider what may actually be at play here and different ways of handling it. See if you don't conclude this path may be the best available.
Lol I'll go make the popcorn

I guess I don't understand why you care so much, even if it is a "flip-flop?" Who cares? Funding a 9 figure deal is tough. A guy might need to be a little less rigid than you expect. This isn't the Wilfs operating here, blatantly ripping off the citizens of the state.

Why does he care? That whistling sound you hear isn't his ego deflating....

A blind person who sees is better than a seeing person who is blind.

Speculation. The athletic department is planning to continue seeking donations and will pay off any borrowed funds.....which means that the plan has not "changed".

Gw, at the beginning of this you had a point.

You have now belabored it to the point of non-discussion.

Let it go.

The University doesn't owe me, you or anyone else not involved an explanation for their actions.

If they choose to reconfigure their plan, it's their business.

They said no public money.

Your opinion became moot at that point.

Mr. Teague and everyone involved in this deserve nothing but accolades at this point.

Speculation. The athletic department is planning to continue seeking donations and will pay off any borrowed funds.....which means that the plan has not "changed".

Not a flip-flop... just a fella who is a headcase.

Doesn't really matter to me how the project is funded. I just want to see it built.

But if I was one of the large donors at the front end of the project, I might feel differently if the story has indeed changed. <---- (Not saying it has or has not)

Doesn't really matter to me how the project is funded. I just want to see it built.

But if I was one of the large donors at the front end of the project, I might feel differently if the story has indeed changed. <---- (Not saying it has or has not)

If you are donating money...you want to see it built. Not wait years and feel like you could of spent the money elsewhere for something more immediate.

If you are donating money...you want to see it built. Not wait years and feel like you could of spent the money elsewhere for something more immediate.

Perhaps....but if it was going to get built anyway through loans/public money/souvenir cups, then why would I feel good about my donation? Hard for me to say because I'm not walking in those shoes.

Perhaps....but if it was going to get built anyway through loans/public money/souvenir cups, then why would I feel good about my donation? Hard for me to say because I'm not walking in those shoes.

It had to get to a certain stage through donations or it wouldn't have happened. Loans need to be paid back--donations free up money for other things if the athletic department had to use ticket and TV income. Very, very doubtful there would ever have been public money. Paupers like the Wilfs and the Pohlads and Taylors have pretty muched sucked those teats dry.

Try to walk in those shoes

If you were confident it would get built without your help, you probably aren't donating. Or you are such a zealot for the cause you don't care...you just want to be a part of it and you want it built.

Nobody wants to donate to any project and have their hard earned money not be put to use. You want to see progress. You agreed to be part of the project...the last thing you want is to wonder if the money you donated will EVER do any good. Many people who donate have lived life, accomplished success and are on the way to retirement.
The thought of dying and wondering if your donation had no impact, was ill advised or unimportant is overwhelmingly
more likely if 2020 comes and they are still raising money to build a basketball practice facility.

Get shovels in the ground and more people will believe it's happening and want to be a part of it and those that already are will be very pleased their decision was a great one. Without it nothing would have happened.

Gw, at the beginning of this you had a point.

You have now belabored it to the point of non-discussion.

Let it go.

The University doesn't owe me, you or anyone else not involved an explanation for their actions.

If they choose to reconfigure their plan, it's their business.

They said no public money.

Your opinion became moot at that point.

Mr. Teague and everyone involved in this deserve nothing but accolades at this point.

Indeed they do owe people an explanation for their actions. You can pretend that taxpayers haven't given money to the athletic department, but they have (not talking about this project).

Let's see where things go.

And if I had been told "this will be entirely funded by private donations" (as I have been told) and then gave money based in part on that, and then the story changed.. you're damn right they owe me an explanation.

Indeed they do owe people an explanation for their actions. You can pretend that taxpayers haven't given money to the athletic department, but they have (not talking about this project).

And if I had been told "this will be entirely funded by private donations" (as I have been told) and then gave money based in part on that, and then the story changed.. you're damn right they owe me an explanation.

Story never changed. Still will be entirely funded through private donations when all is said and done. The athletic department NEVER stated that financing wouldn't be used. In fact.....you are kidding yourself if you think that you came up with that extremely unique idea. :rolleyes:

GW...take some advice from an old timer...give it a rest.

Lou nanne and Norwood Teague get a ton of credit for this great acclophisment ! And all the donors thanks I never thought this was possible in this state.

SARS alert! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Have you ever been taken seriously by anyone in your life?

First off, I haven't seen anyone thank you yet....so thank you!

Second, please let us know what they tell you.

Top Bottom