Jonathon Nwanko Given Release from His Letter Of Intent

Dannyboy

Reaction score
@TheRecruitScoop: 2015 Minnesota commit Jonathan Nwankwo of Victory Rock Prep (FL) has received a release from his letter of intent.

This is surprising, is it not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa. Extremely surprising. I wonder what happened??

Surprising I wonder what happened? My first thought would be maybe it didn't work out academically?

The depth chart wasn't looking to kind for Nwankwo... Konate as the starter this year, some of us thought Diedhiou would play some 5.. then adding Reggie Lynch for 16-17 and 17-18 pushed him even further down.

Maybe Florida has interest now that they have scholarship openings? Maybe Pitino initiated it and wanted someone else? Maybe Lofton used mind control serum to get him to leave? Interesting though indeed.

Maybe he will log on and tell us himself? :)

Marcus R. Fuller ‏@GophersNow
Nwankwo wanted to play for #Gophers, but had trouble being admitted into the university, per sources. But could have opportunity elsewhere.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Marcus R. Fuller ‏@GophersNow
Nwankwo wanted to play for #Gophers, but had trouble being admitted into the university, per sources. But could have opportunity elsewhere.
That was my first thought unfortunate.

Ok. So it was an academics issue. Well that sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will defer comment until Nadine checks in.

If we had to lose one of the incoming FR, this was the one to lose IMO.

Another scholly for next year for a big man.

Marcus R. Fuller ‏@GophersNow Nwankwo wanted to play for #Gophers, but had trouble being admitted into the university, per sources. But could have opportunity elsewhere.

Darn. That really sucks. Thought he was going to be really here.

Hopefully Pitino can work some magic with that last scholly. I'm a little nervous with only one true C eligible to play next year and he isn't all that experienced.

However, if he's going to bank it. This is the year to do it and take your lumps.

As a poster previously mentioned, it seems like he was going to have trouble seeing the court anyways with Kanote and Diedhou this year and Lynch ready to play the following year.

Hopefully the staff sees this as an opportunity to use the vacated commit on a more highly touted recruit

Still, the depth at center this year is going to be rough. One of Kanote's biggest problems is his propensity to foul. I don't even want to image what we would do if Kanote gets in foul trouble early

As a poster previously mentioned, it seems like he was going to have trouble seeing the court anyways with Kanote and Diedhou this year and Lynch ready to play the following year.

Hopefully the staff sees this as an opportunity to use the vacated commit on a more highly touted recruit

This

Isn't Nwankwo a national honors society kid?

I know this might sound weird, but I almost hope that Nwankwo was released for basketball reasons. Maybe the Murphy signing inspired the staff to go after a big name recruit as opposed to using it on Nwankwo. I'm sure Nwankwo would have been decent for the program, but if he was indeed the one freshman that needed the most time to develop (I swear I have heard either Pitino or Johnson intimate that), than now is a good time to make this move.

Btw, from all that I have read it seems like Nwankwo is a high character guy. At the position he plays, he's going to have no trouble at all finding another school.. So good luck to him in the future

Why didn't he announce this on GH like he did his commitment? I have no idea what kind of player he would become, but IMO saving the scholarship for another 2016 recruit gives the staff more flexibility in building a roster that if nothing else is more balanced between classes.

Still, the depth at center this year is going to be rough. One of Kanote's biggest problems is his propensity to foul. I don't even want to image what we would do if Kanote gets in foul trouble early
Right now it would be Konate and Diedhiou at the 5 spot and both seemed to have a little trouble with fouling as freshmen. Right now I would guess the open scholarship just gets banked to 2016.

I feel bad for the kid if this wasn't a truly mutual decision. He seemed genuinely excited when he committed, and tweeted often to the other recruits. Some may have considered him a "raw" or "under the radar" recruit, but he's a four-star on ESPN, and athletic, sculpted 6-10 guys don't grow on trees.

I know this might sound weird, but I almost hope that Nwankwo was released for basketball reasons. Maybe the Murphy signing inspired the staff to go after a big name recruit as opposed to using it on Nwankwo. I'm sure Nwankwo would have been decent for the program, but if he was indeed the one freshman that needed the most time to develop (I swear I have heard either Pitino or Johnson intimate that), than now is a good time to make this move.

I've gotta disagree. On a team that REALLY struggled with rebounding and rim protection, even a very raw recruit was badly needed to provide those. Putting the center position in the hands of Konate and Gaston is very scary right now. They certainly could be greatly improved and it not be an issue.

Also, why'd we take his commitment (and thereby squeeze out Illikainen!) if there were possible issues with his grades? It seems doubtful that his grades suddenly tanked after he committed, so our staff either knew there could be an issue or was woefully inadequate in doing their background work.

I'm not sure that I share the "glass is half full" approach on this one. Wow.

I feel bad for the kid if this wasn't a truly mutual decision. He seemed genuinely excited when he committed, and tweeted often to the other recruits. Some may have considered him a "raw" or "under the radar" recruit, but he's a four-star on ESPN, and athletic, sculpted 6-10 guys don't grow on trees.
I'm anxious to see what he does now, wish him the best. I hope he ends up at another high major and performs well. Two years in a row of admissions issues now.... Pitino won't forget (unless Goodin/Coffey commit as a package deal)... I don't think you add another player with those open scholarship.. unless it's a graduate transfer who can play center.

Why didn't he announce this on GH like he did his commitment? I have no idea what kind of player he would become, but IMO saving the scholarship for another 2016 recruit gives the staff more flexibility in building a roster that if nothing else is more balanced between classes.

Agreed on the class thing. Still just makes me really nervous at center next year. I'm envisioning lots of Joey King at the 5 right now.

From what I've seen it sounds like it was basically a problem getting into Minnesota and both parties thought the best option was for him to look elsewhere where academic standards might not be as high. Unfortunate deal because he seemed genuinely excited about being a Gopher and looked to have good potential.

nwankwo committed to the u just a week or two before illikainen commited to wisconsin.

sigh.

I'm anxious to see what he does now, wish him the best. I hope he ends up at another high major and performs well. Two years in a row of admissions issues now.... Pitino won't forget (unless Goodin/Coffey commit as a package deal)... I don't think you add another player with those open scholarship.. unless it's a graduate transfer who can play center.

Agreed. A center playing grad transfer would be a nice option if it exists. Although it then puts Bakary in an awkward position in that he'd never see big minutes his whole career. Assuming he's behind Lynch the next two years.

Top Bottom