Gophers in the NFL: Contract Numbers

hungan1

Reaction score
Per Kyle Goblirsch - 247 Sports:

"The Minnesota Golden Gophers had four selected last month in the NFL Draft with others getting an opportunity to live out their pro dreams via Undrafted Free Agency.

Below are some recent contract numbers that have been released for the newest Gophers heading to the League.

TE Maxx Williams was selected in the 2nd round of the NFL Draft by the Baltimore Ravens. He has signed a four year deal totaling $4,052,738; $2,261,662 of which is guaranteed.

RB David Cobb was selected by the Tennessee Titans in the 5th round of the NFL Draft. He has signed for four years at $2,525,668; $245,668 of which is guaranteed.

DB Cedric Thompson was also selected in the 5th round, though by the Miami Dolphins. He has signed for four years at $2,500,528; $220,528 of which is guaranteed.

DT Cameron Botticelli signed with the San Diego Chargers immediately following the draft. He signed for three years at $1,575,000; $0 guaranteed as an UDFA.

WR Isaac Fruechte won a spot with the Minnesota Vikings after a Rookie workout last week. He has signed a three year deal totaling $1,575,000; $0 guaranteed as an UDFA.

MLB Damien Wilson was drafted in the 4th round by the Dallas Cowboys. His contractual numbers have yet to be released.

Lastly, DB Derrick Wells tried out and is expected to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers soon."

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Bolt/Gophers-in-the-NFL-Contract-Numbers-37323912

Hopefully some of these guys have a year like Seantral did and make that bank on the bonus too!

Derrick Wells has signed. Here are the 13 Gophers currently in NFL:

Cameron Boticelli San Diego Chargers
David Cobb Tennessee Titans
Eric Decker New York Jets
Isaac Fruechte Minnesota Vikings
MarQueis Gray Buffalo Bills
Derrick Wells Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Ra'Shede Hageman Atlanta Falcons
Marcus Sherels Minnesota Vikings
Matt Spaeth Pittsburgh Steelers
Cedric Thompson Miami Dolphins
Brock Vereen Chicago Bears
Maxx Williams Baltimore Ravens
Damien Wilson Dallas Cowboys

Let me try that again. Might be easier to read this way. :)

Cameron Boticelli San Diego Chargers
David Cobb Tennessee Titans
Eric Decker New York Jets
Isaac Fruechte Minnesota Vikings
MarQueis Gray Buffalo Bills
Derrick Wells Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Ra'Shede Hageman Atlanta Falcons
Marcus Sherels Minnesota Vikings
Matt Spaeth Pittsburgh Steelers
Cedric Thompson Miami Dolphins
Brock Vereen Chicago Bears
Maxx Williams Baltimore Ravens
Damien Wilson Dallas Cowboys

Per Kyle Goblirsch - 247 Sports:

"The Minnesota Golden Gophers had four selected last month in the NFL Draft with others getting an opportunity to live out their pro dreams via Undrafted Free Agency.

Below are some recent contract numbers that have been released for the newest Gophers heading to the League.

TE Maxx Williams was selected in the 2nd round of the NFL Draft by the Baltimore Ravens. He has signed a four year deal totaling $4,052,738; $2,261,662 of which is guaranteed.

RB David Cobb was selected by the Tennessee Titans in the 5th round of the NFL Draft. He has signed for four years at $2,525,668; $245,668 of which is guaranteed.

DB Cedric Thompson was also selected in the 5th round, though by the Miami Dolphins. He has signed for four years at $2,500,528; $220,528 of which is guaranteed.

DT Cameron Botticelli signed with the San Diego Chargers immediately following the draft. He signed for three years at $1,575,000; $0 guaranteed as an UDFA.

WR Isaac Fruechte won a spot with the Minnesota Vikings after a Rookie workout last week. He has signed a three year deal totaling $1,575,000; $0 guaranteed as an UDFA.

MLB Damien Wilson was drafted in the 4th round by the Dallas Cowboys. His contractual numbers have yet to be released.

Lastly, DB Derrick Wells tried out and is expected to sign with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers soon."

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Bolt/Gophers-in-the-NFL-Contract-Numbers-37323912

IMO, this shows the importance of getting your education and finishing your degree, even if you make the NFL. Even Maxx being a 2nd round pick, if he was to only get through one contact - having $ 2 million guaranteed - wouldn't be set for life. Don't get me wrong, $ 2 million is one decent base to make investments and set yourself up for success, but isn't going to put you on MTV Cribs (yes, old school MTV reference).

IMO, this shows the importance of getting your education and finishing your degree, even if you make the NFL. Even Maxx being a 2nd round pick, if he was to only get through one contact - having $ 2 million guaranteed - wouldn't be set for life. Don't get me wrong, $ 2 million is one decent base to make investments and set yourself up for success, but isn't going to put you on MTV Cribs (yes, old school MTV reference).

Meh. If Maxx is smart I'm sure he could do a lot better with $2 million and no degree than some/most could do with a degree and -$30,000 (approx average school loan debt in 2013).
There are a lot of idiot football players who will waste their money. But I know which situation I'd rather be in.

I hope Teague doesn't lose any of their phone numbers between now and NFL final cuts!!!!

Remember what program helped you get there fellas; every donation helps!

That is what is lost in the public perception. Majority of the players in any given team are not making superstar money. Depending on what positions they play, their career span may be shorter than they's like. So, they need that degree plus you hope someone is given them good advise to invest their money wisely. We hear stories of former NFL players that are destitute or are in a lot of health issues post playing days.

That is what is lost in the public perception. Majority of the players in any given team are not making superstar money. Depending on what positions they play, their career span may be shorter than they's like. So, they need that degree plus you hope someone is given them good advise to invest their money wisely. We hear stories of former NFL players that are destitute or are in a lot of health issues post playing days.
I think the bolded part is what is critically missing from most of the sad stories.

I think the bolded part is what is critically missing from most of the sad stories.

Yep, usually those are the guys getting lots of "advice" from all the hangers on but very little of it is good advice. The NFL is a brutal business considering the contracts are not guaranteed. Heck look at a guy like Freuchte for example, he can say right now he is sitting on an NFL contract worth 1.5 million dollars but what are the realistic odds that he will see all or even a significant portion of that money? I would say not real high.

Your assumption assumes he can't go back to school. Financially Maxx made the right decision to jump. The chances of getting a significant bump to a first round pic are outweighed by possible injury, dropping down, and losing a year of earning.

If Cobb was a junior, leaving would probably be the right thing too, given that RBs have short careers and he is pretty much guaranteed two years before they would think of cutting him.

Would pharmacists leave school a year or two early if they could make 3-4 times their expected annual income for a few years? Yes they would although I suspect a far greater majority would return to school than NFL early entrants.

Dumbest logic ever.

$2 million dollars is the equivalent of making 50K for 40 years in a row. If Maxx isn't set for life that is either an indictment on Maxx or the American system. If he's smart, he's set for life.

There are pretty heavy progressive tax rates on high incomes. However, that one-time bite is more than offset by the ability to invest the discretionary income and watch the magic of compounded returns over the next 40 years. Capital gains taxes and all.

Most working stiffs scraping by on 50k don't have that luxury of play money.

When do players start receiving checks? Is it right away? Does it start July 1?

I'm looking at a guy like Fruechte and I'm just wondering if he starts receiving that salary now or it starts sometime soon? Anyone know?

There is a per diem for OTAs and minicamp and a weekly rate for training camp. Last I heard it was around 130/day for the former and 900 or so per week for the latter for rookies. It might be a little more these days. I'm sure it's available but the point is it's not that much. OTAs, minicamp, rookie symposium, add up to a little over two weeks. Add in training camp, preaseason before first cuts and the total number of weeks receiving a paycheck could be as few as 6 or 7. They receive none of their contract salary unless they make the final roster for week 1.

Udfas may also get a small signing bonus, but it won't be much. Maybe a couple grand for most, if anything.

$2 million dollars is the equivalent of making 50K for 40 years in a row. If Maxx isn't set for life that is either an indictment on Maxx or the American system. If he's smart, he's set for life.

No it's not equivalent. Money has time value. Taking the sum up front is way more valuable than if he made 40k/year.

Top Bottom