Border Battle

maroonfive

Reaction score
Thanks to the track and field teams today the Gophers win the border battle for the sixth time in seven years over the drunken skunks. The axe is coming home next year where it belongs. Better dead than red.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dead badger.jpg

Wisconsin doesn't have crap beyond football and basketball , and that will head South this fall and winter.

Wisconsin doesn't have crap beyond football and basketball , and that will head South this fall and winter.

If I had a dollar every time on here someone said Wisconsin football and basketball are going to fall I'd be a rich man.

Does anybody really care about this stupid thing?

We have lost 11 straight to them in football, and their hoops team has made back to back Final Fours. The rest is pretty meaningless in my eyes.

Does anybody really care about this stupid thing? We have lost 11 straight to them in football, and their hoops team has made back to back Final Fours. The rest is pretty meaningless in my eyes.

Agreed. The only thing I care about in regards to this is The Axe. That's it.

Well, we continue to dominate them in Baseball. This month marks 25 years since we dropped a game to the Badgers in May of 1990.

We have lost 11 straight to them in football, and their hoops team has made back to back Final Fours. The rest is pretty meaningless in my eyes.

To those who participate and represent the U, it's not meaningless.

To those who participate and represent the U, it's not meaningless.

That's fine, but the vast majority of fans want us to win in football and basketball (and expect us to win in hockey), period. I think comments like those above understandably express frustration that we're not beating them enough in the sports that matter to us fans, and we view promotion of things like this "border battle" as the U athletic department "taking their eye of what should be the true goal" (winning in football, basketball and hockey). Not saying that's true or not true, just saying that's the underlying trigger for "who cares" sorts of posts.

we view promotion of things like this "border battle" as the U athletic department "taking their eye of what should be the true goal" (winning in football, basketball and hockey).
The true goal of the athletic department should be assisting athletes across all sports with a solid college education and a one of a kind athletic experience, giving recognition to all these sports is a great way to do that.

A person who started a thread announcing that we have won, and you ask if anybody really cares? Do I need to connect the dots for you? Or are you good now?

I was watching an ESPN Top 20 College Traditions. The Border Battle they selected was Colorado State and Wyoming. The distance is something like 50 miles. The prize is the Bronze Boot. The winner runs the trophy to the State Line, the home team runs it to the stadium. It was like number 18. The only Tradition the Gophers had on this ESPN show was about 12 and It was The Jug.

Suggestion for a FB or Basketball drinking game between the Gophs and IA or WI. Listen to the game on the radio, and take a drink every time Mike Grimm says "Border Battle." then, after you pass out, call me when you wake up and I'll tell you the final score..........

I'll admit I care enough about it to check the results. For me, it comes down to the idea that if we are going to compete with wisconsin in any sport, be it women’s soccer, men’s tennis, horseshoes or lawn jarts, I would rather win than lose. I care a whole lot more about football than tennis, but I want to beat wisconsin in both. I don’t see the Border Battle as a distraction from the efforts to improve the sports where we are trailing their success any more than I think wisconsin could regularly kick our butts in wrestling if only they would divert some resources away from the football team.

How can you not care. To beat them in anything is a good thing. There are way to many crooked W's wandering around the Twin Cities. The worst logo ever. I could never figure out if it was supposed be a paw or what the hell it is.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Until we're beating them on a somewhat consistent basis in men's basketball and football, this always qualifies as one of the more hollow press releases we'll get every year.

How can you not care. To beat them in anything is a good thing. There are way to many crooked W's wandering around the Twin Cities. The worst logo ever. I could never figure out if it was supposed be a paw or what the hell it is.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I refer to them as "slurred w's".

Top Bottom