Does anyone know how many injuries have been caused from William Arena raised floor?

dannygopher9100

Reaction score
I always see bucky fans complain about it, I am curious to know if there actually has been injuries.

Did you read the VCU thread about losing Jordan Murphy to the Gophers? A number of their fans brought up this very same topic.

I do not know what the exact number of significant injuries caused by the raised floor, however I don't believe the number is large. I could be wrong though.

As far as I know, the answer is "none."

I agree. I remember guys flying off the court but never any injuries that required them to leave the game. I do remember guys blowing out knees in the lane. Williams does have two of those.

Did you read the VCU thread about losing Jordan Murphy to the Gophers? A number of their fans brought up this very same topic.

I do not know what the exact number of significant injuries caused by the raised floor, however I don't believe the number is large. I could be wrong though.

did a quick google search for this VCU thread... the butthurt is strong at VCU Ram Nation...

I believe Trevor Winter broke his arm back in the 90's.

I don't remember that, I remember Jon Bauer breaking his arm in the lane. I remember Trevor Winter fouling out of a Twolves game in less than 5 minutes while playing hack a shack.

Very few and a much larger number have been caused through playing basketball rather than falling off the court. I have been seeing games consistently in the Barn since the 70's and never witnessed an injury from falling off the court. As mentioned above, there was one significant injury in the Clem days that came from practice but not a game.

For the boo birds on the raised floor, will they protest the raised floor at the Final Four if they make it? For my money (no data, though) the raised floor is a lot safer than the environments with cheerleaders, fans, media and scorers tables six or eight inches from the floor, which is getting more common, especially in the post season.

Very few and a much larger number have been caused through playing basketball rather than falling off the court. I have been seeing games consistently in the Barn since the 70's and never witnessed an injury from falling off the court. As mentioned above, there was one significant injury in the Clem days that came from practice but not a game.

For the boo birds on the raised floor, will they protest the raised floor at the Final Four if they make it? For my money (no data, though) the raised floor is a lot safer than the environments with cheerleaders, fans, media and scorers tables six or eight inches from the floor, which is getting more common, especially in the post season.
I have been there the same amount of time and I don't remember any either.

More injuries have occurred by people falling off bar stools.

Didn't JB Bickerstaff get hurt one year while falling off the floor? I have some vague memory of that - but I can't remember the details.

http://forums.vcuramnation.com/threads/former-recruits-and-players.15037/page-3

Nearly identical posts to what was on Redbirdfan.net after Reggie transferred here. Without Shaka, what does VCU have on Minnesota? A newer facility? Better winters?

No choice but to quietly take the criticism and happily take the player right now. The only thing we can hope is that the people who say these things feel stupid in 3 years.

And also hope for VCU to fall into a deep pit of A10 mediocrity.

The main reason a lot of us had interest in VCU was the Shaka thread starring richmondinsider. :cool02:

I will say a part of me is sad that Shaka moved on. Ram Nation had developed a strong trolling game in response to the yearly rumors.

In the last 20 years, I only remember Jeff Hagen sliding off the floor on his belly. The velocity was very low and there was ample warning for the cheerleaders to step back. He was having a horrible game so when he did not return, no one really suspected injury.

I agree. I remember guys flying off the court but never any injuries that required them to leave the game. I do remember guys blowing out knees in the lane. Williams does have two of those.

Robbie Hummel, who is the other?

http://forums.vcuramnation.com/threads/former-recruits-and-players.15037/page-3

Nearly identical posts to what was on Redbirdfan.net after Reggie transferred here. Without Shaka, what does VCU have on Minnesota? A newer facility? Better winters?

LOL that's some comedy gold in that thread. They've been a successful mid-major for so long under Shaka that they've apparently forgotten that they're still a mid-major.

Also funny is how they totally ignore comparing the two schools from an academic and degree standpoint, as if it's completely irrelevant.

LOL that's some comedy gold in that thread. They've been a successful mid-major for so long under Shaka that they've apparently forgotten that they're still a mid-major.

Also funny is how they totally ignore comparing the two schools from an academic and degree standpoint, as if it's completely irrelevant.

And for some reason they keep bringing up the Herschel Walker trade. :confused:

The scariest health related incident at Williams I can recall had nothing to do with an injury. In the 74/75 season an Iowa Hawkeye player had a severe seizure on the edge of the court by their bench. Don't remember what caused it , but it was difficult to watch.

Wow VCU. Really? Obviously Jordan wants to play on the big stage. He is walking away from VCU at the kids table to play with the big boys. Not only that but he is now coming to a school with much better academics. I would love to see how VCU would do playing every year in the big ten. Jokers.

I believe Trevor Winter broke his arm back in the 90's.

I believe that is correct. If I recall correctly that injury was early in the 93-94 season and is the reason why John Thomas did not get redshirted.

i believe the floor caused a severe bruise on Draymond Green's rear end one year, but it being raised had nothing to do with it. In my opinion the play that turned every Big Ten ref against Colton Iverson was Draymond taking a huge flop on a high elbow swinging clearout after a rebound from Colton. Draymond goes down like he is sniped from the upper deck, Colton gets the T, replay shows he missed his face with the elbow by a couple of inches and Colton never got a call the rest of his Gopher career. Was chased to Colorado but the likes of Teddy Valentine and now is going to try to make it with the Boston Celtics so he can get hosed by the likes of Joey Crawford.

and the Badgers do their annual "practice sliding off the floor so you don't get hurt drill" to prevent injuries. Bo is always prepared

There was an Ohio State center who needed hospitalization after striking his head on the floor, but it probably had more to do with the Gopher (Jim Brewer or Ron Behagen) jumping on his head! Good times.

There was an Ohio State center who needed hospitalization after striking his head on the floor, but it probably had more to do with the Gopher (Jim Brewer or Ron Behagen) jumping on his head! Good times.

They started it (earlier in the game). We finished it.

Top Bottom