ESPN: Group of 5 upset threats (No. 2: Colorado State vs. Minnesota, Sept. 12)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Five teams from the Group of 5 conferences who pose the most serious upset threats this fall

No. 2: Colorado State (vs. Minnesota, Sept. 12)

The Rams have the resources and tradition to rival some Power 5 schools and are coming off a 10-win season. They've got a new coach, as Mike Bobo replaced Jim McElwain, and must replace prolific quarterback Garrett Grayson. But they also have a star receiver in Rashard Higgins and get Minnesota at home nine days after the Gophers have a high-profile game against TCU.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/119096/b1gfridayfive-group-of-5-upset-threats

Go Gophers!!

Ha. They lost everything and our secondary is our strength. Articles like this are stupid. It's click fodder for the mindless.

We still need to prove it on the field. Talk is cheap.

GO GOPHERS!!!

They're really calling it "The Group Of 5"? Oh man.

per ESPN:

Five teams from the Group of 5 conferences who pose the most serious upset threats this fall

The Rams have the resources and tradition to rival some Power 5 schools and are coming off a 10-win season. They've got a new coach, as Mike Bobo replaced Jim McElwain, and must replace prolific quarterback Garrett Grayson. But they also have a star receiver in Rashard Higgins and get Minnesota at home nine days after the Gophers have a high-profile game against TCU.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/119096/b1gfridayfive-group-of-5-upset-threats

Go Gophers!!

CSU will be going through some adjustments early in the season. They play Savannah State the first weekend. Savannah State's Sagarin ranking was 251 out of 252. It will be little more than a scrimmage, so CSU will be coming into the Gopher game essentially unchallenged. It takes a challenge to see where your weak points are. The Gophers will have had a challenge, and that's good. With the game coming 9 days after the TCU game, the Gophers will be rested. Of course, the Gophers will have to take this game very seriously. It is a road game at high altitude.

They're really calling it "The Group Of 5"? Oh man.

It made me think of the Gang of Four, but I'm dating myself.

Who else is CSU losing besides their QB? They bring back their stud WR but our secondary is good enough to keep him within check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who else is CSU losing besides their QB? They bring back their stud WR but our secondary is good enough to keep him within check.

Both offensive tackles the best players on a line already prone to giving up sacks. Thats not a good combination when your breaking in a new QB.

I will never take CSU lightly. They have played good teams very well for years and we are not an offensive juggernaut yet.

Former 5 star RB Dee Hart who was a 1,000 yard rusher.

Former 5 star RB Dee Hart who was a 1,000 yard rusher.

He left school early and went undrafted. They have a guy transferring in from Purdue to compete with the presumed starter.

We are not at a point where we can take anyone lightly but it will be a red flag warning if we struggle to put these guys away. They are in full rebuilding mode with a new coaching staff to boot. Normally, that is a bad recipe. Still, Illinois. And nearly Purdue, Northwestern.

Ha. They lost everything and our secondary is our strength. Articles like this are stupid. It's click fodder for the mindless.

If the article put tO$U on upset alert vs Minnesota, I am guessing you would have a different opinion.

We still need to prove it on the field. Talk is cheap.

GO GOPHERS!!!

When this game was scheduled a day game, it takes some sizzle out of the contest from their perspective. It is a dangerous game but do not expect anything but a W. Our boys might be a little ticked off from the week before and the Rams could get de-horned.

per ESPN:

The Rams have the resources and tradition to rival some Power 5 schools

I believe the CSU game will indeed be a tough one for the Gophers, and the fact the Rams were 10-2 last year is a big reason why. Even with what they lost, they return talent and will be fired up for a B1G team at home. But, the writer certainly doesn't have to try to bolster his argument by making a claim like the Rams resources and tradition rival some Power 5 schools. Hogwash.

Colorado State is 55-79 in the last 11 years with three seasons of winning football. The football program itself has lost money in each of those seasons. Budget woes have faced them on and off for more than a decade.

Now, they are building a new stadium, so they have made that commitment. And, years ago (like 15-20 yrs ago) they were good with Sonny Lubick. But, kids enrolling at CSU this fall were under four years old the last time CSU won double digit games (prior to this past season).

Top Bottom