BTN: Drafting a starting five for every Big Ten school over the past decade

BleedGopher

Reaction score

I'd probably replace McKenzie with Hoffarber, but a pretty good 5 overall either way.

I'd go:

Dre Hollins- Sophomore Version
Austin Hollins- NIT Version
Damien Johnson- Best defender of the past decade
Dan Coleman
Trevor Mbakwe

I'd probably replace McKenzie with Hoffarber, but a pretty good 5 overall either way.

Yeah, pretty good 5 in general..but for a 10 year span? This list makes me sad more than anything and I'm a fan of all these guys.

No Kris Humphries?

How about the past 10 years All-letdown team?

Royce White - never played, multiple legal issues, announced leaving school on YouTube!
Josh Martin - played a few unremarkable minutes looking completely lost - left team in first quarter of freshman year!
Daquein McNeal - Did he ever play? - beat up girlfriend and kicked off team - skipped hearing and is now at-large!
Zach Lofton - couldn't get past inter-squad scrimmage and was kicked off team for bad-attitude.
Rodney Williams - went from top 15 draft prospect to ???

I bet there are more!

This is it for the last ten seasons. Pretty sad. Our last All American was Trent Tucker in 1982.

All Big Ten Team
2005 - Vincent Grier (coaches), Guard

Second Team All Big Ten
2005 - Vincent Grier (media), Guard
2011 - Trevor Mbakwe, Forward
2013 - Trevor Mbakwe (media), Forwar

Jeepers

This is it for the last ten seasons. Pretty sad. Our last All American was Trent Tucker in 1982.

All Big Ten Team
2005 - Vincent Grier (coaches), Guard

Second Team All Big Ten
2005 - Vincent Grier (media), Guard
2011 - Trevor Mbakwe, Forward
2013 - Trevor Mbakwe (media), Forwar

Very sad and embarrassing. How can anyone say this is a good job if that's the best you can do in 10 years. Somebody can make it a good job but we haven't had any players for over 10 years. Need Coffey or somebody to come and start a higher level of a players.

How about the past 10 years All-letdown team?

Royce White - never played, multiple legal issues, announced leaving school on YouTube!
Josh Martin - played a few unremarkable minutes looking completely lost - left team in first quarter of freshman year!
Daquein McNeal - Did he ever play? - beat up girlfriend and kicked off team - skipped hearing and is now at-large!
Zach Lofton - couldn't get past inter-squad scrimmage and was kicked off team for bad-attitude.
Rodney Williams - went from top 15 draft prospect to ???

I bet there are more!

I'd pinch hit DeVoe Joseph in for McNeal McNeal was a 2 star and we never got to see if he'd develop into much more than that. The promise that Joseph showed and then him leaving mid season like that really really hurt. Joseph was a 4 star by rivals and #61 on rivals that year.

I'd pinch hit DeVoe Joseph in for McNeal McNeal was a 2 star and we never got to see if he'd develop into much more than that. The promise that Joseph showed and then him leaving mid season like that really really hurt. Joseph was a 4 star by rivals and #61 on rivals that year.

Agreed. I'd also sub someone else for Rodney. He obviously was never a top 15 pick, but he has some of the best all around career numbers of any Gopher. He didn't live up to the hype, but was still a darn good player.

My team would be the following:

Al Nolen
Dre Hollins (100% healthy)
Vincent Grier
Damian Johnson
Trevor Mbakwe

Bench:
Rodney Williams
Blake Hoffarber
Lawrence Westbrook
Colton Iverson
Paul Carter

Very sad and embarrassing. How can anyone say this is a good job if that's the best you can do in 10 years. Somebody can make it a good job but we haven't had any players for over 10 years. Need Coffey or somebody to come and start a higher level of a players.

Why do you take every opportunity to bash the program?

The quality of the job has to do with the potential on how far you can take it, not on how little others have done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

best 5 makes more sense.

Article should be called ... who is the best 5 players. Starting 5's with 5 guards for Illinois, D. Green playing sf, and only 1 guard for Purdue. Ohio ST. has most of the big names.

per BTN:

Who are the top players from every Big Ten school over the last decade (any player whose career spanned the years of 2005-2014)?

MINNESOTA

Trevor Mbakwe, 2010-2013
Lawrence McKenzie, 2006-2008
Austin Hollins, 2010-2014
Andre Hollins, 2011-2015
Dan Coleman, 2004-2008

http://btn.com/2015/05/12/drafting-a-starting-five-for-every-big-ten-school-over-the-past-decade/

Go Gophers!!

Article should be called ... who is the best 5 players. Starting 5's with 5 guards for Illinois, D. Green playing sf, and only 1 guard for Purdue. Ohio ST. has most of the big names.

I'd have Grier on there over everyone but Mbakwe. He was a true difference-maker, even if he was great for only 1 season.

Need to refer back to my old media guides and see which 5 guys I'd come up with. Might have 1 Hollins in The Five, but probably not both.

I was a Westbrook fan so id take him over Dre.

Westbrook
Hoff
Grier
DJ
Trevor

No disrespect intended for any of our guys, but if you put our top five against the top five of virtually any of the other teams.....pretty clear why we have been lower tier for awhile now.

In the bigger picture, that's the disappointment within the disappointment. Say what you want about Tubby, but he went and got us Devoe, Ralph and Andre, all top-100 recruits. And now we talk, only a few years later, about top-100 recruits as being pipe dreams. Although I think of Pitino as being a good recruiter, eventually he's going to have to bring home some bacon. The 2015 class is good, but still no top-100 recruits on his watch.

Dorsey and Jackson were both previously in the top 100. Their rankings dropped after they committed. Call it the Gopher effect.

Find a reading class.

Why do you take every opportunity to bash the program?

The quality of the job has to do with the potential on how far you can take it, not on how little others have done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You said the same thing I did. Obviously any top 5 power conference job is a good job and has potential.
The ones with recent success and a recent history of better players on the roster are considered better jobs.
Pretty obvious we don't have that in our 10 year recent history. Not to mention our practice facilities, weather
etc. work against us vs. many other jobs.

Far more of my posts are supportive of Gopher sports than not, but I'm not going to ignore facts or withhold stating my dissatisfaction in choices made that I disagree with or that undermine the ability to reach higher levels in my opinion. So ya, I bash but less times than those I'm positive and in this case it's reality.

We agree it's a good job. If the basketball world agreed with us Richard Pitino wouldn't be the coach. And yes, I'm happy he is.

Top Bottom